football: transfer madness!

MercenaryChef

Didn't catch much of the game between Chelsea and Arsenal. They have our number of late. Nice early play with Hazard and Pedro. Hazard got tripped up by the turf monster on a near breakaway later in the game. Arsenal had two lucky goals, especially the first one where it ricocheted off Alonso's head, Rudiger's head and into the net. Probably another trophy going to City this year. 

A poor game last night between Arsenal and Chelsea.

It came to life at the beginning, and in the first 12 minutes there was a disallowed goal for Chelsea, a legitimate goal for Chelsea and an equaliser for Arsenal. After that, the game fell flat.

Chelsea had a lot of the ball but did very little with it. The first half we looked half decent, but the second half we might as well not have turned up. Can't help but think stuff like that plays into Conte's hands, as he can blame it on tired legs, having had many of the same players playing again, which was caused by not getting the players he wanted to bulk the squad up in the summer.

12 hours ago, Notone said:

I don't know how the money is distributed in the EPL, and I can give a rough explanation how the tv money is distributed in the top two leagues in Germany.

I think I mentioned it before, but the distribution key looks like this.

The money gets pooled. 70% of the money is divided according to the success of the club during the past five years. This gets weightened (the last season gets facotred in 5 times, the season before that 4 times, the one before said 3 times etc.)

The Bundesliga champion will receive 5.8% of the pot, the tailender 2.9%. The winner of Bundesliga 2 will get 1.69% the tailender of the second Bundesliga will receive 0.75%.

The second factor in the sporting success category is how the clubs performed during the past 5 years. Places one to thirty six. There's however a bottom to this. No Bundesliga club shall be placed lower than 24, and no club from Bundesliga 2 shall be placed higher than 15. The clubs placed 1-6 in that category (Bayern, Dortmund, Gladbach (?), Leverkusen (?), Schalke (?), ?)* will receive 6.5% of the money.

The second category is sustainability. Here the final positioning of the past 20 years is taken into account. The difference between this and the previous 5 year table, here the whole thing gets not weightened. (so Bremen should get a decent push on that account, Leipzig and Hoffenheim on the other hand get pushed down quite a bit). This factor is however worth just 5%.

The final 2% of the Bundesliga tv money gets divided according to youth development.

That's the Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 money.

Now to the international revenue.

Bundesliga 2 gets 5m € (it will be raised by 1m annually to 8 in the 20/21 season).That money will be distributed according the final table among the 18 clubs.

The rest of that money will then be distributed among the 18 Bundesliga clubs. The distribution is as followed: 25% will be split equally among the 18 clubs (no questions asked). 50% will be divided according to the 5 year table with regards to their internatinal success (basically the UEFA 5 year table). The remaining 25% will be distributed according to the starts in the EL and the CL during the past ten years. Every participation is worth one point. The more points your club gathered, the more money it gets.

*Editorial note: I did not check how the clubs faired, so those are more or less educated guesses, if you want to calculate it, look at the final table, last season gets weighted five times, the season before four time etc.

That's quite a process. The distribution of 70% domestic revenue and 50% international revenue based on performance over 5 years explains the discrepancy with Leipzig i.e. why they've earned the least broadcast revenue despite finishing 2nd last season. I expect that they are at or near the bottom of that coefficient table.

The EPL distribution is simpler: 50% of the domestic broadcast revenue is distributed equally among the 20 top flight clubs; 25% is distributed based on final league position and the remaining 25% is distributed according to the number of live broadcasts in the UK. 100% of the international broadcast revenue is distributed equally among the top flight clubs. This distribution model ensures that the club earning the most broadcast money only earns about a third more than the club earning the least.

Antonio Conte's constant public remarks about Chelsea's transfer policy is frustrating Chelsea board. 

Conte left Juventus for similar reasons, feeling the board weren't backing him in the transfer market. He must have come to Chelsea thinking we were a mega-rich club, where all he'd have to do is name a player and the club would buy him. Chelsea are a rich club, yes, but not rich enough to pay whatever a team wants for a player, or whatever that player wants for his weekly wage.

I can see that this Dzeko situation is probably angering him, but the board have a right to be reluctant to pay around £30m for Dzeko, who is coming 32 in March, especially when Man City sold him to Roma for £11m when he was 29.

Chelsea should put in a cheeky bid for Aubameyang - a genuine class player to compete with Morata rather than looking for a merely decent player for depth. If Batshuayi isn't fancied then sell him and recall Tammy Abraham - he can be the depth option. Of course Chelsea won't do this as for some reason they are carrying on like a midtable club in the transfer market.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

Chelsea should put in a cheeky bid for Aubameyang - a genuine class player to compete with Morata rather than looking for a merely decent player for depth. If Batshuayi isn't fancied then sell him and recall Tammy Abraham - he can be the depth option. Of course Chelsea won't do this as for some reason they are carrying on like a midtable club in the transfer market.

Yes, that would be logical, but it would cost money - something the club no longer like to spend.

In a way, I can see why they are reluctant to spend like the Manchester clubs; they both have managers that the clubs want to keep hold of for years. At Chelsea, they have a manager who edges closer to the exit every week. I don't think they want to sack him, but he is making it difficult for them not to. They probably don't want to spend big on a player for a manager that may not be there much longer. That said, they are falling behind, and the Manchester clubs will keep spending; if Chelsea want to compete, they are going to have to spend the same kind on money and aim for the same calibre of player.

You actually can.

So far, he's got results that were about the minimum required of him, attracted a ton of bad PR, and shown few signs that things are going to get significantly better. If that's 'doing a good job', the bar has been set pretty low.

He’s won trophies and is sitting 2nd behind an historically good team. Maybe can say he should be doing a little better considering the money he’s dished out but I think “good” is fair. I must be out of the loop on the “attracted a ton of bad pr”.

Anyway the last thing I wanna do is defend Mourinho or United so yeah. 

1 hour ago, mormont said:

You actually can.

So far, he's got results that were about the minimum required of him, attracted a ton of bad PR, and shown few signs that things are going to get significantly better. If that's 'doing a good job', the bar has been set pretty low.

I’d say the bar was set pretty low by the poor performances of Moyes and LVG.

Moyes wasn’t backed, fair enough, but he inherited a title winning team. They may not have been the strongest side, but Ferguson got a title out of them, so to fall so far, Moyes had to have played a part in that. 

LVG was backed, but all Man United fans did for two seasons was complain about the dull football. In the end, very few Man United fans were sad when he was sacked.

Jose was brought in, given a lot of money, and expected to challenge immediately; it didn’t really work out that way. He did, however, become the first manager to win a major trophy in his first season and ended up winning two, in the end. Sixth in the league was lower than both LVG’s seasons, but they gave up on the league in April and put their efforts into the Europa League, which paid off. The style of football may be negative at times, but other times, it can be quite exciting. Moyes’ side had no style and LVG’s was constantly boring.

This season, they are far behind Man City, but they are closer than the rest. I still don’t think he has the squad he wants, whereas Pep Guardiola seems perfectly happy with his.

I know there are a section of Man United fans that would like him to leave or be sacked, but the majority I’ve seen speaking about Man United seem happier under him than Moyes or LVG.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

He’s won trophies and is sitting 2nd behind an historically good team. Maybe can say he should be doing a little better considering the money he’s dished out but I think “good” is fair. I must be out of the loop on the “attracted a ton of bad pr”.

... yeah, you really must be.

Mourinho's management 'style' at the moment is about 60% 'attract bad headlines for the club'. Moan about not getting the board's backing, pick fights with the authorities, single out and destroy club players in the media. Any time Mourinho gets a bad result, he drags his club into some petty spat to distract attention from it. It used to be you could claim it was about instilling a siege mentality, but in recent years it's become more and more obvious that it's about trying to preserve his own reputation at the expense of his current employers.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

:angry: Fuming.

It was inevitable though. On the upside Mourinho still has pull in the transfer market and he will build a side full of quality players so when the implosion comes, the next manager will have a strong base to work from. Maybe Simeone will be prepared to leave Atleti by then.

ETA. it's being reported that West Ham have completed a deal with Inter for Joao Mario on loan.

2 hours ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Sixth in the league was lower than both LVG’s seasons, but they gave up on the league in April and put their efforts into the Europa League, which paid off. The style of football may be negative at times, but other times, it can be quite exciting. Moyes’ side had no style and LVG’s was constantly boring.

Yes. This. Thank you for these fucking lines, some people should defintely think about that before raving about José.

1 hour ago, Consigliere said:

the next manager will have a strong base to work from.

Just as long as he hasn't imploded team morale by then.

I'm not entirely convinced by Simeone as the next manager, he's a bit more attacking - certainly seems more coordinated with his attacking plans- and of a dick but he still functions on a similar basic blueprint. While a plus for continuity I do have my worries that he could end up going sour the way Mourinho clearly has. And I'd still prefer someone more attacking, even if the guys who can do that and are young aren't very proven.

That said, I wouldn't complain if we did get him.

Simeone is one of the only top level managers that I would say for certain is more defensive minded than Jose. I’m not sure if that’s down to the players he has available at Atletico, but anytime I’ve seen them under Simeone, they’ve never been an exciting side to watch. At least Jose’s teams can be excellent going forwards at times. 

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Just as long as he hasn't imploded team morale by then.

Morale can restored quite quickly as we saw with Chelsea.

38 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm not entirely convinced by Simeone as the next manager, he's a bit more attacking - certainly seems more coordinated with his attacking plans- and of a dick but he still functions on a similar basic blueprint. While a plus for continuity I do have my worries that he could end up going sour the way Mourinho clearly has. And I'd still prefer someone more attacking, even if the guys who can do that and are young aren't very proven.

That said, I wouldn't complain if we did get him.

I named Simeone primarily due to the continuity aspect. Wouldn't mind a more attack minded manager provided that it is someone who can organize a team defensively as well. Alot of these young attack minded managers are clueless when it comes to defensive organization.

22 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Simeone is one of the only top level managers that I would say for certain is more defensive minded than Jose. I’m not sure if that’s down to the players he has available at Atletico, but anytime I’ve seen them under Simeone, they’ve never been an exciting side to watch. At least Jose’s teams can be excellent going forwards at times. 

I don't think Simeone is more defensive than Mourinho. He's actually in a very similar mould i.e. sets up his side more conservatively in the big games but otherwise looks to play a more expansive game.

Archived