Character appreciation thread

One-eyed Misbehavin

21 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

100 thanks for the chivalrous courtesy and extremely kind words as always.

May I add Sam's incredible resolve to overcome an impossibly overbearing father (the priest ritual in bull's blood is terryfing) who also happened to take away his only solace of his mother/sisters (Finding a friend in Jon was huge for him) 

Sam the self admitted coward who killed an other. Helluva character ser 

Yes, indeed.   As I read your comments I'm making my own right along with you.

The sand snakes.  It just goes to show how culturally diverse this continent is.  Poor Brienne had to live a sad and lonely life because she wants to fight.  Dorne respects women who can fight.  Dornish law allows women to inherit.  It's the Andals who discourage women from fighting.  For all its civility, it's the Andals and their religion that attempts to limit their women.  This is not to say that I am a fan of the sand snakes.  They're on the path of vengeance and it's not likely to end well for them.  But, I can respect their bravery. 

We must give credit to the man who quite handily terminated Robb Stark's rebellion.  The engineer of the red wedding and the man who rigged the tents to fall.  All very clever if I may say so myself.  The man with a poker face who kept his cards hidden while treating with the Starks.  The one and only Lothar Frey.

1 hour ago, Light a wight tonight said:

I like Podrick Payne a lot. He's had a rough early life, bounced around, starved, served bad masters, but always gives whatever task he's given his best shot. And how many squires can say that they killed a man of the King's Guard in battle?

With a burning heart and need for self improvement that is very admirable. I like this one as well

9 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

I like Podrick Payne a lot. He's had a rough early life, bounced around, starved, served bad masters, but always gives whatever task he's given his best shot. And how many squires can say that they killed a man of the King's Guard in battle?

3 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

Yoren. Yoren who smelled terrible, and had twisted shoulders, who was stooped and sinister looking, tried to get Arya home, told the gold cloaks to take a hike when they came for Gendry. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and Yoren was a damn hero.

Two amazing characters indeed. I also love them both. 

Just wanted to say that this series greatest strength, in my opinion, is its characters, much more so than the worldbuilding and foreshadowing elements. I think Martin's ability to create so many and unique characters is his greatest forte; it's possibly the most unanimously praised aspect of his books that I tend to see, and with good reason. There's such a treasure trove of amazing characters in this series that even minor ones like Maester Luwin and Aemon, Thoros, or the Reeds, among many many others, seem rich and well-rounded, and can have a big impact on the reader, as threads like this show. 

14 hours ago, Light a wight tonight said:

Podrick is an adorable badass.

I'd like to mention Tommen, who lights up the scene with his cuteness and his love of cats whenever he shows up. Edmure Tully, the lord who cared. And Genna Lannister, who is probably one of the best drinking buddies in all of Westeros.

On 1/24/2018 at 10:03 PM, Ralphis Baratheon said:

Willas Tyrell

Why is he still single even though he's the heir to the Reach and is well past marrying age? Is he saving himself for Daenerys in case the Tyrells run into problems with the Lannisters? Perhaps it goes back further and he had a secret marriage contract with Dany like Viserys had with the other Targaryen loyalist, the Martells? Maybe in the beginning the Tyrells thought they would not fair well with the Baratheon's as Kings, so like the Martells they sought to bring back Targaryen rule. Stannis even marries into a family from the Reach, the Florents, who the Tyrells consider a threat to their rule of the Reach. Had Viserys married Arianne they'd be King and Queen. Then the best marriage for Dany would be the heir to Highgarden. However Loras became Renly's squire and everything else changed because of that, but what if that didn't happen?

Willas is a good marriage match for Dany.

On 1/24/2018 at 11:32 PM, Agent Orange said:

I assume you want a character that is relatively minor and goes unmentioned in most of the discussions.   

I like the people surrounding Daenerys.  Among them, Barristan, Jorah, Missandei, and Greyworm get a lot of love from the Daenerys fandom such as myself.   Dany is like a rock star with her own following.  Skahaz and Belwas rarely get enough appreciation in my opinion.   Irri and Jhiqui too rarely get enough love.  I pick them.  Those two girls are fun to read about.  Silly high school aged Dothraki girls in service to Khaleesi.

Skahaz and Tormund play the same roles but on opposite sides.  I like Skahaz.  

4 hours ago, Lady Anna said:

Just wanted to say that this series greatest strength, in my opinion, is its characters, much more so than the worldbuilding and foreshadowing elements. I think Martin's ability to create so many and unique characters is his greatest forte; it's possibly the most unanimously praised aspect of his books that I tend to see, and with good reason. There's such a treasure trove of amazing characters in this series that even minor ones like Maester Luwin and Aemon, Thoros, or the Reeds, among many many others, seem rich and well-rounded, and can have a big impact on the reader, as threads like this show. 

For me the reeds are a welcome addition to the thread and I completely agree the character depth and consistency and multiple POVs absolutely these books. 

Thanks for the kind words @One-eyed Misbehavin and for starting the good thread.  In addition to my man Maester Luwin, shout outs to Ser Wymar, Yoren, and Edmure.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:12 AM, TheKingInTheNorth3 said:

Every time something like this comes up in conversation I can’t help but think about the first pages of A Game of Thrones and the badassery of Ser Waymar Royce.  Yes, he’s arrogant and looks down at the more experienced Will and Gared, but my god did he go out in style.  “Dance with me then” has to be one of the hands down ballsiest and legendary quotes of the whole series when we look at his situation, mano-a-mano against a white walker.  So badass.  

A great way to start a story.  The courage and understanding of his role that Ser Waymar has is trule admirable.  My kind of leader.  I wouldn't say he looked down on Will and Gared necessarily - but like a good leader he had to cooly assess a situation and work to finish the job... unfortunately giving in to Will and Gared's take-no-ownership-just-get-home attitude would have saved their lives.

8 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

Yoren. Yoren who smelled terrible, and had twisted shoulders, who was stooped and sinister looking, tried to get Arya home, told the gold cloaks to take a hike when they came for Gendry. Heroes come in all shapes and sizes, and Yoren was a damn hero.

A damn hero indeed!  Re-reading ACOK now and he is the best part of Arya's early chapters.

2 hours ago, Joy Hill said:

Edmure Tully, the lord who cared.

If I lived in the Riverlands I would be so grateful it was Edmure calling the shots and not self righteous, self assured, and selfish Catelyn

Wylla Manderly with her green hair and loyalty.

Wylla. Did you see how brave she was? Even when I threatened to have her tongue out, she reminded me of the debt White Harbor owes to the Starks of Winterfell, a debt that can never be repaid. Wylla spoke from the heart ... not every woman can be as brave as my Wylla.

DWD, Davos 4

Also: totally agree with many of the abovementioned, especially Dacey Mormont, Maester Luwin, Dolorous Edd, and Meera Reed.

Y'all are taking all the good ones!  

I'll add to the chorus of cheers for Slayer and for my man Strong Belwas. Also have come to appreciate the sheer guts of Ser Waymar. The words in favor of Maester Luwin were quite persuasive, and I think we all died a little with the loss of Maester Aemon. Barristan of course is awesome as well. Love Wylla Manderly, always have.

Lord Wyman too is pretty awesome, from the first we see of him at Winterfell when Bran is in charge; though we don't really get a sense of how great he is until later.

And I will add Coldhands. Honestly, who else in this series gets an entrance like that: riding up on a giant elk with ravens all around?

Then there's one of the best exits, by Donal Noye who with one arm took out a legendary giant warrior.

I don't think Bloodraven and Varys get enough love. Also mad props to Raymun Fossoway back in D&E!

Daario has seriously grown on me since I decoded his possible secret identity. He makes way more sense to me when I view him through the lens of my own theory, especially since that means he hearkens back to another legendary badass...who gets plenty of respect on the boards already so I won't go any further with that.

I will add disagreement on only one character: Dolorous Edd. Not that he isn't fantastic, but I think he's already one of the best-loved characters in the series, even if we don't all wax poetic about him often. 

6 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Y'all are taking all the good ones!  

I'll add to the chorus of cheers for Slayer and for my man Strong Belwas. Also have come to appreciate the sheer guts of Ser Waymar. The words in favor of Maester Luwin were quite persuasive, and I think we all died a little with the loss of Maester Aemon. Barristan of course is awesome as well. Love Wylla Manderly, always have.

Lord Wyman too is pretty awesome, from the first we see of him at Winterfell when Bran is in charge; though we don't really get a sense of how great he is until later.

And I will add Coldhands. Honestly, who else in this series gets an entrance like that: riding up on a giant elk with ravens all around?

Then there's one of the best exits, by Donal Noye who with one arm took out a legendary giant warrior.

I don't think Bloodraven and Varys get enough love. Also mad props to Raymun Fossoway back in D&E!

Daario has seriously grown on me since I decoded his possible secret identity. He makes way more sense to me when I view him through the lens of my own theory, especially since that means he hearkens back to another legendary badass...who gets plenty of respect on the boards already so I won't go any further with that.

I will add disagreement on only one character: Dolorous Edd. Not that he isn't fantastic, but I think he's already one of the best-loved characters in the series, even if we don't all wax poetic about him often. 

Not all the good ones 

Per usual very great additions Lady B

Archived