Character appreciation thread

One-eyed Misbehavin

7 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Then there's one of the best exits, by Donal Noye who with one arm took out a legendary giant warrior.

Donal Noye's verbal Jon bitchslap was all kinds of amazing as well. It was really sad when he died.

And the man has his place in history without having it. There's only a handful of people who know that Robert's warhammer was made by him. 

7 hours ago, Lady Blizzardborn said:

Lord Wyman too is pretty awesome, from the first we see of him at Winterfell when Bran is in charge; though we don't really get a sense of how great he is until later.

Wyman Manderly is such an intelligent character and conniving. My very favorite description of him comes from Davos, and the way Wyman is looking at Rhaegar Frey, like a roach in need of a good heel. I laugh every time.

Let me throw in the name of Daven Lannister. Am I the only one who laughed throughout the Jaime chapter he was in?

Sarella Sand. The best Sand Snake.

The books have a great supporting cast and I should know better than to get attached to them.

Kudos to Symon Stripeback.  A man who was a slave and rose to join the ruling council of the city of Mereen.  The man has climbed far from a humble beginning.  Yeah, he gets a well earned recognition from me. 

Barristan's trainees should also get some honorable mentions.  In particular the best natural swordsman since Jaime Lannister. 

22 minutes ago, Superzapper Recharge said:

Kudos to Symon Stripeback.  A man who was a slave and rose to join the ruling council of the city of Mereen.  The man has climbed far from a humble beginning.  Yeah, he gets a well earned recognition from me. 

Barristan's trainees should also get some honorable mentions.  In particular the best natural swordsman since Jaime Lannister. 

The characters in Daenerys' court and entourage are so underrated.

On 1/25/2018 at 0:39 AM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Anybody who deserves a shoutout POV or minuscule characters.

I'll add the half-hand and squire dalbridge for each sacrificing themselves 

Halfhand was great.  Talk about a model man-of-the-watch.  He was the ideal Night's Watch brother.  

Khal Drogo and Mooqorro deserve mention.

I don't know that I'd say he's under appreciated, but I personally have to throw Beric Dondarrion out there. Despite everything he went through, and the horrors that were inflicted on his mind and body, he remained at core a good man trying to do right by the people. In terms of people looking out for the smallfolk, he's right up there with the best of them. Not to mention his courage; not many men could look at the Hound and say 'Yeah, sure. I'll fight him'.

I'd like to add my cheers for the names of Dacey Mormont and SmallJon, who served and died bravely for their King. Wyman and Wylla Manderly, for their unwavering loyalty to the Stark name for an event that happened hundreds if not thousands of years ago. The Reeds, Osha and Hodor for their dedication to Bran. Maesters Luwin and Aemon, few deaths have hit me harder.

And of course Belwas and the rest of Dany's court deserve an immense amount of respect and there are so many Nights Watch brothers that deserve a standing ovation that it'd take all day to list them. Ser Waymar, Yoren and Donal Noye work as examples though.

I also feel like I should throw Tytos Blackwood out there to join the Pipers and Lord Vance for the guys in the Riverlands.

And we can't forget Ser Raynald Westerling, who died for Robb when he could have stepped aside and lived.

And if we take it back further in history then I think a special shout out should definitely go to Raymun Fossoway, the Laughing Storm, the two Humfrey's and Robyn Rhysling all of whom were willing to put their lives on the line for some nobody Hedge Knight. Which of course leads us to my final candidate.

Baelor Targaryen. Baelor Breakspear. The only man in history who seems like he would have made the perfect King. Just, kind, humble and wise yet also strong and talented in both command and a fight. A Prince of the realm who would borrow armour from his son and fight against his brother and nephews for some randomer he met a day earlier just because he knew it was the right thing to do. Show me another Prince who'd do that. Honestly he died because he was too good. He just had to fight personally didn't he? No, I'm not bitter about his death at all....

14 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Not all the good ones 

Per usual very great additions Lady B

Thanks, One-eyed!

I forgot to mention my favorite Frey (not like there are a ton I can even stand). Olyvar was so loyal to Robb that he had to be sent away from the two castles prior to the Red Wedding. Roslin was sweet and all, and really felt bad, but they literally felt they could not let Olyvar even stay in the twin big-ass castles! That's impressive. When the rest of the Freys rode off, Oly wanted to stay with his king. That kid has guts and fortitude, and strength of character unlike many of the POV characters even.

12 hours ago, Widow's Watch said:

<snip

Let me throw in the name of Daven Lannister. Am I the only one who laughed throughout the Jaime chapter he was in?

Sarella Sand. The best Sand Snake.

The books have a great supporting cast and I should know better than to get attached to them.

Don't remember it. I'll have to reread the Daven and Jaime scene.

We haven't really seen Nym or Tyene in action, but I must agree that at present Sarella has given the best performance thus far.

25 minutes ago, Adam Yozza said:

I don't know that I'd say he's under appreciated, but I personally have to throw Beric Dondarrion out there. Despite everything he went through, and the horrors that were inflicted on his mind and body, he remained at core a good man trying to do right by the people. In terms of people looking out for the smallfolk, he's right up there with the best of them. Not to mention his courage; not many men could look at the Hound and say 'Yeah, sure. I'll fight him'.

<snip

I also feel like I should throw Tytos Blackwood out there to join the Pipers and Lord Vance for the guys in the Riverlands.

And we can't forget Ser Raynald Westerling, who died for Robb when he could have stepped aside and lived.

And if we take it back further in history then I think a special shout out should definitely go to Raymun Fossoway, the Laughing Storm, the two Humfrey's and Robyn Rhysling all of whom were willing to put their lives on the line for some nobody Hedge Knight. Which of course leads us to my final candidate.

Baelor Targaryen. Baelor Breakspear. The only man in history who seems like he would have made the perfect King. Just, kind, humble and wise yet also strong and talented in both command and a fight. A Prince of the realm who would borrow armour from his son and fight against his brother and nephews for some randomer he met a day earlier just because he knew it was the right thing to do. Show me another Prince who'd do that. Honestly he died because he was too good. He just had to fight personally didn't he? No, I'm not bitter about his death at all....

Thought about Beric. We really don't get to know him well before he goes off on Ned's orders, and then when we meet up with him again he's not really himself, but he just keeps going because he was given a job to do, and he's going to do it. Takes dedication to keep working after you're dead.

Tytos is cool too.

Agreed, all the men who took up Dunk's cause were being pretty badass in doing so, even if only to tweak Aerion and Maekar's noses.

Breakspear would have been such an awesome king. I think I cried when I read the scene where he died...saving Dunk's life yet again in telling them to use boiling wine. What a loss to the fictional world!

Oh, Gendry! How didn't I mention him??

A not-so-minor-but-often-forgotten character that shows up in four of five books and develops a relationship with one of the major pov characters. Talented, down to earth, observant and smart. The guy with the biggest class issues in the series. Someone who truly appreciates Arya, like Jon and Ned did. Courageous and resilient and willing. And grumpy. I love grumpy people. But capable of laughing too. The best exemple of "armoring yourself with what other want to use to hurt you". He never gets Arya's new names wrong. He's got a sarcastic sense of humor. And he's a savior of maids-not-so-fair. And how could I forget... he's strong!

On 1/27/2018 at 8:53 AM, Widow's Watch said:

Donal Noye's verbal Jon bitchslap was all kinds of amazing as well. It was really sad when he died.

And the man has his place in history without having it. There's only a handful of people who know that Robert's warhammer was made by him. 

Wyman Manderly is such an intelligent character and conniving. My very favorite description of him comes from Davos, and the way Wyman is looking at Rhaegar Frey, like a roach in need of a good heel. I laugh every time.

I agree with all of this. Daven seems like a good guy. In fact, outside of Tywin and his offspring, the Lannisters seem like a pretty OK family. 

I want to add Tycho Nestoris to this list as well if he hasn't been included yet

On 1/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Name a character and explain why you think said character deserves more appreciation or   Simply "shout out" some of your favorite characters throughout the whole history of our favorite series. I have 2 to  get the ball rolling.

Finally! I have been waiting for ages for the greatest of houses in the Reach to get their time on the sun. The true lords of Highgarden that continue the struggle to depose the Tyrell pretenders, and the most loyal of houses to the one true king of Westeros, Stannis Baratheon.

I feel it best to highlight the awesomeness of this house by detailing its many distinguished members.

Selyse Florent: The One True Queen of Westeros, the lovely Selyse is a devoutly religious woman of the strongest moral standing. Unlike every other woman calling herself "Queen" in Westeros, she alone isn't being tried for being a whore.

Axell Florent: A MAN OF THE WORLD and the Hand to the One True Queen of Westeros. Axell is a noble and dependable man that is loved and envied by all around him. Currently betrothed to the oldest daughter of Gerrick Kingsblood, thus giving him royalties to the Wildlings as well.

Imry Florent: Bravely led Stannis's fleet into the Battle of the Blackwater. Surely died early in the fight due to deceit, because all agree the outcome would have been far different otherwise.

Alester Florent: He temporarily lost the faith, and to repent, he willingly allowed himself to be burnt alive in order to provide Stannis's fleet with strong winds to reach the Wall in time and stop Mance Rayder. The NW and the entire realm is in his eternal debt.

Colin Florent: After the Battle of the Blackwater, the ill-born pretender to the throne Joffrey claimed that House Florent was "attainted" and had the audacity to name Garlan Tyrell as Lord of Brightwater Keep. Well, three books later and pompous sellout opportunist jerkoff Garlan has yet to set foot in Brightwater Keep because Colin Florent has been holding it down like a BOSS. Keep in mind that he is literally surrounded by enemies on all sides. Let them come, his sword THIRSTS.

Alekyne Florent: Current Lord of Brightwater Keep, Alekyne is currently in Old Town, plotting his next move with the Hightowers. Make no mistake, he isn't "hiding," he is "planning" something. Planning something big. Do not underestimate the cunning of the fox!

Samwell Tarly: Literally every one of his positive attributes come from his Florent blood. I hear he's a pretty smart cookie.

Melessa Tarly: A loving mother stuck with a douche of a husband. Sam is convinced that he can send Gilly and her baby to his home and they will be cared for, solely due to his mother. Given who his father is, that speaks volumes as to how awesome Melessa is.

Edric Storm: A fine young lad, eternally noble and proud. Showed eternal respect and love towards his father, even though his father was a prick that didn't care about him at all.

Shireen Baratheon: The heir to the throne, Princess Shireen is pure innocence and a true delight for the realm.

The nameless Florent bastard that refused to bend his knee to Joffrey after the Battle of the Blackwater and said right to his face that Stannis would be back and would totally kick his ass: This man was a legend. Eternal respect.

I could go on for days as to the glory of House Florent, but I'll summarize some key points:

House Florent loyally followed Stannis Baratheon despite being totally surrounded by enemies in the Reach as a result. That's how much their faith means to them. This wasn't just because Selyse was married to him, and it wasn't just because his was the true claim: The pretenders on the throne spread ridiculous rumors about Selyse cheating on her husband with Patchface. The Florents defend their own, and will not tolerate such slander and disgraceful behavior!

House Florent has a badass sigil. Seriously, that fox runs circles around the Tyrell rose for free.

The Tyrells are a bunch of know-it-all pretty boys/girls that think they are the golden children of Westeros. The Florents are the scrappy underdogs that straight up have a better claim to Highgarden than these pompous jerks. How can you not root for them to knock the Tyrells down a peg or two?

While everyone is busy playing the game of thrones, House Florent's primary concern right now is dealing with the REAL enemy: The Others. This makes them part of a very very select few houses that actually GIVES A DAMN ABOUT WHAT MATTERS.

They are one of the biggest houses that we don't actually know the motto of yet! They are mysterious, that's awesome. Whatever their House words are, I guarantee they are better than "Growing Strong."

In closing: Fuck The Lannisters. Fuck the Tyrells. Screw the current pretenders on the throne. Screw The Others. Haters gonna hate. All hail the true Lords of the Reach!

Shoutouts to:

The crew of the Cinnamon Wind - held a cool funeral for Aemon and helped bring Sam and Gilly closer. Kojja is a badass and Quhuru has had the distinction of recently meeting two of the last remaining Targs. Hopefully they will be with Marwyn on his voyage east.

Ser Kyle, The Cat of Misty Moor - my favourite hapless scoundrel, loved that "joust" with Lord Caswell! :P - why is he "The Cat"?, where is this "Misty Moor?"  I would love for him to pop up in the next Dunk and Egg.

Myrcella and Tommen - kind of becoming the new Stark kids, what with with all the relatives dying and such.

Archived