Professional Wrestling: Smark I

Xray the Enforcer

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

The only one of those who was around in WCW's heydey was Jericho.  Don't forget the WWE mismanaged Steve Austin and HHH too, unless you think the Ringmaster and Lord Helmsley were good gimmicks.

WCW also had Taker early on as Mean Mark Callous, and Nash and Hall were Vinnie Vegas and Diamond Studd (along with Raven as Scotty Flamingo) in DDP's stable before they became Diesel and Razor Ramon.  Guys bounced around a lot back then.  That's why Sting and HBK were so unique -- and Bret before, well, ya know.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

If you want to watch some wrestling that doesn't suck, check out that NXT event from the weekend.  The Cole/Black hardcore match and the Almas/Gargano title match were both incredible.  Rest of the card was good as well.

I thought the Womens title match was poor but that is because Bazler is terrible.

11 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

I thought the Womens title match was poor but that is because Bazler is terrible.

I found it to be all right.  Not amazing, but solid, and I liked how it ended.  Problem with Baszler is that she's just too raw right now.  She needs more experience.  I think rushing her onto TV was a mistake.  They should have waited a few months so she could get a bit more practice behind the scenes.

• 3 weeks later...

So I saw a few days ago Meltzer was reporting the plan for Rousey at Mania is a mixed tag against the power couple (Trips and Steph).  If Rock can actually do it that'd be a lot of fun, not so sure though about the more realistic options (Angle, Shane, Rollins).

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

So I saw a few days ago Meltzer was reporting the plan for Rousey at Mania is a mixed tag against the power couple (Trips and Steph).  If Rock can actually do it that'd be a lot of fun, not so sure though about the more realistic options (Angle, Shane, Rollins).

Haitch and Steph VS Rowdy and Braaaaauun?

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

How does this sound like fun? From the sound of things, Rousey is being used to make Steph into a big star, kind of like Austen did with Vince. It all just seems to be yet another instance of everything being about making Steph the star, rather than the actual talent, because god knows she doesn't have much of that. Unfortunately, she will never actually get any comeuppance because she doesn't actually put anyone over like her dad did. Lots of people seem to think that things will be better when Vince checks out and Steph and HHH take over, but those two are and always have been about themselves.

1 minute ago, GrimTuesday said:

How does this sound like fun? From the sound of things, Rousey is being used to make Steph into a big star, kind of like Austen did with Vince. It all just seems to be yet another instance of everything being about making Steph the star, rather than the actual talent, because god knows she doesn't have much of that. Unfortunately, she will never actually get any comeuppance because she doesn't actually put anyone over like her dad did. Lots of people seem to think that things will be better when Vince checks out and Steph and HHH take over, but those two are and always have been about themselves.

I agree with some of what you're saying, but the bolded suggests a serious misunderstanding of how fake wrestling works.

8 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Hope Braun is in a more headline match than that.  Building him up is pretty much the only thing main roster WWE has succeeded in over the past few years.

Yeah, although to be fair they've mostly succeeded in building him up by accident.  He was supposed to be the monster heel that got Reigns over, but instead the crowd started rooting for him every time he did something increasingly batshit crazy, like tossing Reigns off the loading dock while in the stretcher and flipping over the ambulance with his bare hands.  Thus, they created a new superstar face entirely by accident.

8 hours ago, GrimTuesday said:

Thing is, Austin didn't make Vince a star.  Vince made Austin a star.  Vince is probably the greatest heel in the history of wrestling, and his presence turned Austin from a popular wrestler into a megastar and one of the three most iconic wrestlers in the history of the business (along with Rock and Hogan).

The problem, of course, is that the McMahons have yet to realize that their presence isn't always required on TV.  They have a tendency to force themselves into stories these days, and it really hurts the product.  This is especially true with Steph, because unlike Vince and Shane, she basically never "shows ass," meaning she almost never gets any comeuppance for all the bad things she does.  Vince may be an out of touch old man who has no understanding of what the fans want (or understands and doesn't care, which is worse), but he's still willing to go out there and eat a shoot headbutt and subsequent beatdown from Kevin Owens to give the guy some heat.

The issue with Steph is that she never does that kind of thing.  She constantly talks down to all the wrestlers on TV, makes them look like shit, but never feels any type of payback, and that's why she's an awful character.  Heels can't just get away with their dastardly behavior for years at a time.  

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Yeah Steph being front and centre doesn't fill me with joy.

But in more positive news, has anyone noticed how much better 205 Live has been? Trips is in charge of it now right?

Yeah, he took charge about four weeks ago and the show immediately went from not worth even thinking about to arguably the best WWE weekly show (I think it's been about tied with NXT over the past month).  Funny how that works.

Sorry I missed that gauntlet match, sounded like the best thing they've done in........

So Jeff Jarrett is going into Vince's Hall of Fame.  That's like the last vestige of his grudges.  From now on, I suppose it's only Triple H's grudges.  That means Punks and um...yeah, not sure.  Glad he hasn't made too many grudges.  Alternatively, I'm missing some?

Having the Elimination Chamber between the Rumble and 'Mania is just such a terrible idea, because the winners are so telegraphed.  It sucks all the drama out of a match like that when it's so fucking predictable.  The past few Rumbles prior to this year suffered from that as well.  

It's just amazing to me that WWE had two incredibly over faces in Rollins and Balor, two wildly over heels in Miz and Elias, and a wildly over tweener in Strowman.  Any of those five would have been excellent choices, but instead they just stayed the course and went with Reigns so he can get booed out of a fourth 'Mania main event in a row.

So dumb.

18 minutes ago, briantw said:

Having the Elimination Chamber between the Rumble and 'Mania is just such a terrible idea, because the winners are so telegraphed.  It sucks all the drama out of a match like that when it's so fucking predictable.

Well, the only point the EC exists in the first place is to be exactly that.  And of course it was obvious, what do you expect?  I think Lesner is near well done.  Which means, yeah, Rollins and Balor, and Owens and Zayn and Styles and Ambrose and Nakamura and...Braun!, will all have their chance.  Because if they don't, the whole damn thing falls down.

• 2 weeks later...

Some spoilers from tonight's NXT taping:

Spoiler

It’s announced that the Takeover Ladder Match to crown the first-ever NXT North American Champion are Ricochet, Ethan Carter III, The Velveteen Dream, Lars Sullivan, Adam Cole and Killian Dain.

Holy shit...that match sounds like it could be incredible.  

That does sound very good. The second belt was probably overdue.

Does Ciampa ever use that crutch? Or does he just drag it around and hit people (and signs) with it? Man he knows how to work a crowd.

As I have often said I dislike the RKO immensely, so I'm not too keen on the Black Mass becoming the new that. It was right for Black to win that match, but I'm just not massively hot on the way he won.

205 wise, I'm really liked Drew Gulaks match. I suspect it's going to be him and Alexander at Wrestlemania. It seemed like they were going to turn him Face, but then the Enzo debacle blew up. So I'm not so sure what the plan is now.

Archived