Professional Wrestling: Smark I

Xray the Enforcer

So KO/Zayn vs Shane/Bryan is definitely the Mania match then.

I wish there was a way to get Shane out of the picture. The three of them are fantastic wrestlers who knew each other in the Indies, and clearly respect each other. And then you have Shane, who's only talent is jumping off things.

31 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

So KO/Zayn vs Shane/Bryan is definitely the Mania match then.

I wish there was a way to get Shane out of the picture. The three of them are fantastic wrestlers who knew each other in the Indies, and clearly respect each other. And then you have Shane, who's only talent is jumping off things.

Yeah this match doesn't excite me at all. Especially as Shane has been acting like a heel throughout the whole thing?

4 minutes ago, lessthanluke said:

Yeah this match doesn't excite me at all. Especially as Shane has been acting like a heel throughout the whole thing?

He has, but they're still treating him like he's a face... Like Orton was still a face after he burned a man's house down. I don;t get it.

7 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

He has, but they're still treating him like he's a face... Like Orton was still a face after he burned a man's house down. I don;t get it.

Nor me it is baffling. Like I mean seeing Zayn and Bryan in the ring together will be awesome but Shane needs to fuck off.

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

WWE doesn't really seem to understand how faces and heels work any more.  The faces always whine and act like assholes, but we're expected to boo for the heels?  Zayn and Owens have some pretty legit grievances in this feud, because Shane really has gone out of his way to screw both of them over countless times.  He cost both of them the title at the last PPV.  

I do find it funny that the crowd popped huge when Owens and Zayn beat the shit out of Shane, but the crowd was vehemently against them when they did the same to Bryan.  The former is a major problem with how WWE books these days.  The latter is precisely how face/heel alignments are supposed to work.

That Gulak Ali match was great. Ali totally deserves this, I hope he wins at Mania. He's got over all by himself. And Gulak did excellent heel work, I saw someone compare him to Angle, the way they'd swerve from goofy one moment to monstrous the next.

He's getting a reaction out of that crowd, which is notoriously shit. I would love them to move to a taping system more like NXT, I know that might feel like a demotion, but they really deserve a hot crowd who care about wrestling.

Edit: oh and just to complain about something, because why not? The Paradise Lock Sanada does, is the stupidest bullshit. There's no reason for anyone to be stuck in it, and it just looks ridiculous, you can see them keeping it on. All of this was highlighted, when ZSJ was put in it. A man who is the best in the world at submission holds.

4 hours ago, lessthanluke said:

Damn it spoiled the Ali - Gulak match. My own fault for opening the thread I guess. Still looking forward to watching it though I wanted Gulak to win the title.

Sorry man. We haven't really work out any spoiler protocol. I spoiled myself the NJCup by going on twitter.

46 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

Since pro wrestling is never concerned with propriety... (Col. DeBeers, Iron Shiek)... I predict that the next mid-level flash in the pan will be someone named "Austin Bomber"  

Hmm... when was the last time someone did an actually offensive gimmick? I can't really recall too many recently. I guess, Prince Devitt kind of had an IRA thing going on. Enzo was probably insulting to anyone from Jersey.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Hmm... when was the last time someone did an actually offensive gimmick? I can't really recall too many recently. I guess, Prince Devitt kind of had an IRA thing going on. Enzo was probably insulting to anyone from Jersey.

Wasn't really a gimmick with Enzo, though.  He's every bit that asshole in real life.  That's what got him fired.

As far as offensive gimmicks go, it's hard to recall one that was truly offensive any time recently.  I get mildly offended whenever WWE does another "foreign, anti-America heel" gimmick, but because it's so fucking lazy rather than anything else.  It's just cheap heat, and it really doesn't even work that well when you've got a global audience like WWE does now. 

I remember not too long ago when they had three of them at once on Smackdown (Owens was doing his "Face of America" gimmick as US Champ while the show also had Mahal and Rusev bashing the US at every turn) and it just felt incredibly tired and creatively bankrupt.  

I seem to remember there were some questions about whether Mahal was popular in India, and evidently they decided Trips was more popular. WWE were trying to break into India, and saw Mahal as the way to do that. But everyone knows Mahal is Canadian, so to a born and bred Indian it's probably a pretty insulting to claim to make.

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I seem to remember there were some questions about whether Mahal was popular in India, and evidently they decided Trips was more popular. WWE were trying to break into India, and saw Mahal as the way to do that. But everyone knows Mahal is Canadian, so to a born and bred Indian it's probably a pretty insulting to claim to make.

Yeah, it was dumb and his name is, if not racist, at least stupid.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

What in Andre's name is going on with John Cena and Taker?!?  How do you not even confirm the match with the two biggest names outside Lesner before the event?  

I feel like the builds for all the major matches have been terrible this year.

Reigns/Lesnar is just an insulting troll job.  Having Reigns accuse Brock of being "Vince's boy" was the most eye-rolling WWE moment since...well, probably not too long since they happen a lot.

I haven't fully watched the last three weeks of main roster programming. But I've been reading summaries of the stuff I've skipped.

Based on what we know:

What I want: Undertaker to stay away, he's an old broken man, I don't need to see his legacy further tarnished. Cena is not the man to get a good match out of him. He'll probably come back as American Badass, Kid Rock will do a live entrance, and it'll be just as awful as we all imagine.

AJ Nakamura should be good.

Charlotte Asuka could be good. Carmella will cash in on Asuka and get demolished.

Bryan/Zayn/Owens and the non-wrestler: It's a weird story, Faces look like Heels and Heels look like Faces, so a turn here is pretty likely. Shane will embarrass, but it won't matter because It's Danial Bryan returning at Mania against two of the best workers, who absolutely love him.

Kind of excited for seeing what happens with Bray and Matt in the Andre Battle Royal.

God knows who'll win the woman's: Sasha and Bayley will do their thing (why are the women all booked like high school girls?) I'd like a Becky win.

Cruiserweight should be a hell of a match, it deserves a good place on the card, likely won't get it.

Us Championship: wouldn't it be lovely if Rusev won this interminable dirge? For gods sake, just turn him Face, and Bobby Heel, and give us that feud. Orton and Mahal can go away.

The Raw Tag Teams have all been buried, if Elias isn't hosting Mania, he should be assigned to Braun as his partner.

The bludgeon brothers will dispatch the Uso's and the New Day in short order. Really don't care for this, The Latter are great, but how many matched have they had now?

Alexa Jax: the storyline isn't my cup of tea, but I do like Bliss generally, and Nia deserves to be booked strong.

Miz, Seth, Finn: The latter two are some of the best in WWE, and Miz can be pretty good. Miz is dropping it either at Mania or Raw. I feel like they might give him this moment, as a reward for his character work.

The Ronda Angle match: This could be awful. But I don't think it will be. Angle and Trips at the least know what they're doing, but the focus will be Ronda, I have no idea how she'll do, but I think she'll be pretty good.

Brock Roman, if Brock turns up, it could be an alright match. Neither guy is what I like, but they're not for me. I hope this isn't last because the only way this doesn't end with boos is if Joe comes out and beats up Roman.

That's 14 matches, god this is going to be a long show.

Takeover will steal it.

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Takeover will steal it.

Well, if there's one sure thing in the wrestling business, it's that a Takeover will be better than the WWE show it's partnered up with.  The only time it has even been close the past three or four years has been at this year's Rumble, which was a really enjoyable show.  Takeover was still better, but that was the closest WWE has come.

As for Undertaker, I can understand his motivation for coming back for one last match.  Would you want your retirement match to be that godawful shitshow with Reigns last year?  At least Cena might be able to carry him to a decent send off match.

16 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I haven't fully watched the last three weeks of main roster programming. But I've been reading summaries of the stuff I've skipped.

Based on what we know:

What I want: Undertaker to stay away, he's an old broken man, I don't need to see his legacy further tarnished. Cena is not the man to get a good match out of him. He'll probably come back as American Badass, Kid Rock will do a live entrance, and it'll be just as awful as we all imagine.

AJ Nakamura should be good.

Charlotte Asuka could be good. Carmella will cash in on Asuka and get demolished.

Bryan/Zayn/Owens and the non-wrestler: It's a weird story, Faces look like Heels and Heels look like Faces, so a turn here is pretty likely. Shane will embarrass, but it won't matter because It's Danial Bryan returning at Mania against two of the best workers, who absolutely love him.

Kind of excited for seeing what happens with Bray and Matt in the Andre Battle Royal.

God knows who'll win the woman's: Sasha and Bayley will do their thing (why are the women all booked like high school girls?) I'd like a Becky win.

Cruiserweight should be a hell of a match, it deserves a good place on the card, likely won't get it.

Us Championship: wouldn't it be lovely if Rusev won this interminable dirge? For gods sake, just turn him Face, and Bobby Heel, and give us that feud. Orton and Mahal can go away.

The Raw Tag Teams have all been buried, if Elias isn't hosting Mania, he should be assigned to Braun as his partner.

The bludgeon brothers will dispatch the Uso's and the New Day in short order. Really don't care for this, The Latter are great, but how many matched have they had now?

Alexa Jax: the storyline isn't my cup of tea, but I do like Bliss generally, and Nia deserves to be booked strong.

Miz, Seth, Finn: The latter two are some of the best in WWE, and Miz can be pretty good. Miz is dropping it either at Mania or Raw. I feel like they might give him this moment, as a reward for his character work.

The Ronda Angle match: This could be awful. But I don't think it will be. Angle and Trips at the least know what they're doing, but the focus will be Ronda, I have no idea how she'll do, but I think she'll be pretty good.

Brock Roman, if Brock turns up, it could be an alright match. Neither guy is what I like, but they're not for me. I hope this isn't last because the only way this doesn't end with boos is if Joe comes out and beats up Roman.

That's 14 matches, god this is going to be a long show.

Takeover will steal it.

I'm curious because I've heard the 2 battle Royales and the cruiserweights are confirmed preshow. Is the preshow available to watch on WWE Network or just not?

33 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

I'm curious because I've heard the 2 battle Royales and the cruiserweights are confirmed preshow. Is the preshow available to watch on WWE Network or just not?

PPV preshows are always on WWE Network.  They're a mix of previewing the matches for the show and a couple of actual matches.  I think they may be available on YouTube and/or Facebook as well, but as I have WWE Network, I've never needed to double check.

Man, I'm catching up on NXT right now in preparation for Takeover tomorrow...is there a better heel in wrestling right now than Ciampa?  Dude spent like three straight weeks barely able to even cut a promo because the fans were booing him so hard every time he lifted the mic, and he smartly just didn't say anything and threw the mic down in disgust the first couple of times before finally snapping at the fans the final time.  By the time Gargano appears through the crowd to attack him, the crowd was ready to burst.  Brilliant booking.

Gargano/Ciampa has gotta be an early front-runner for MOTY.  The last time these two had a singles match, it was one of the best matches in a Cruiserweight Classic filled with great ones.  And needless to say, this time around has a much better build, as last time they were still friends and teammates.

Archived