Professional Wrestling: Smark I

Xray the Enforcer

The Greatest Royal Rumble event from Saudi Arabia was worth watching solely for Michael Cole's horrified pause after saying Messiah on commentary (referring to Roderick Strong's nickname "the Messiah of the Backbreaker").  That had my dying.

I watched it piecemeal. Titus' fall and slide was almost so perfect it could have been on purpose.

The actual Rumble was good. Strowman was the right choice. He's so over it's unreal, the last Raw when he was just running over Owens, the crowd adore him.

When is Kassius Ohno going to get in on a Rumble? They brought up a couple of guys I've never heard of but they can't give Chris Hero time to shine?

Annoyed the Cage Match was basically a no contest. I want this Roman Brock thing to go away.

I was surprised how furious that fucking Iran/Saudi thing made me. They are literally funding untold atrocities across the Middle East causing untold death and destruction and WWE are milking it for cheap heat.

Shane is a disgrace.

Jericho had a bit of dad bod going on.

Strowman is lots of fun. Glad he won noone else would be able to carry that trophy

Coles messiah pause was hilarious as was the general reaction to Titus going under the ring. They lost it so bad that im pretty sure it was a complete accident.

Cage match was a bit meh as was the count out in nakamura styles.

10 hours ago, lmanion said:

Coles messiah pause was hilarious as was the general reaction to Titus going under the ring. They lost it so bad that im pretty sure it was a complete accident.

I don't know that I've ever laughed as hard as those two incidents while watching wrestling. 

Like, you could just picture the look of pure horror on Cole's face as he said that.  "They call him the Messiah..."  I loved how Graves just casually finished the sentence for him and then commented that he thought Cole forgot the nickname.  I'm sure they gave him mad shit for that after the show.  Vince was probably livid, though.  But really, they were just setting themselves up for that mistake by putting Roddy in the match to begin with.

And yeah, Titus' fall was made so much better by the announcers just completely breaking character and cracking up.

On the plus side, the fact that Reigns is just flat out bombing now as opposed to just getting booed might finally get Vince to stop pushing him.  When he was just getting booed, they could sell it as a "mixed reaction," even though we all knew that was a load of horse shit.  Now, though, we're seeing "this is boring," "this is awful," and "beat the traffic" chants during his matches, and the crowd is just clearly getting disinterested rather than outright hostile.  No reaction in wrestling is always worse than the wrong one.  

Why does anybody need 16 championships.  Aren't fans tired of that whole golden boy phenomenon , and Roman is just the unlucky guy who was Next in line for it when everybody rose up and said No More Cena's.   I mean, Roman doesn't offend me.  Go back to flipping a coin each week to see who wins and I'd have no problem with him.   It's the forever push that's unfun and outdated.  They must have numbers on it though, telling them that a hulk hogan goldenboy adds 22% to revenue historically, or something.

16 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Why does anybody need 16 championships.  Aren't fans tired of that whole golden boy phenomenon , and Roman is just the unlucky guy who was Next in line for it when everybody rose up and said No More Cena's.   I mean, Roman doesn't offend me.  Go back to flipping a coin each week to see who wins and I'd have no problem with him.   It's the forever push that's unfun and outdated.  They must have numbers on it though, telling them that a hulk hogan goldenboy adds 22% to revenue historically, or something.

Well, the most profitable period in wrestling was the Attitude Era, and that was a time when they had five or six guys at the top of the card who were all pretty much on equal ground...Austin, Rock, Triple H, Michaels, Undertaker, Angle, Kane, Foley, etc.  All of those guys could believable challenge for the main belt and anchor a PPV main event.  Granted, Michaels missed the prime of the Attitude Era due to his retirement, but he was a main event guy both early on (he and Trips helped launch the era with DX) and when he returned.

The main problem with the WWE today is that Vince has basically turned it into a money-generating machine that will be profitable regardless of the quality of their TV content due to all of their other deals, and so no one has any real incentive to try to build up new stars or think outside the box.  Instead, the whole show is just designed to appease an out of touch old man with a terribly juvenile sense of humor.  Vince likes having a Hogan around, and he's chosen Reigns as his new Hogan and goddammit it'll happen whether we want it to or not.

I also don't really have anything against Roman, but he's just horribly miscast as a face.  When he gives out of character interviews, he comes across as an entitled dick.  He's just a natural heel, and he lacks the charisma of a guy like Rock to allow him to get crowds on his side regardless.  You see Rusev and you can feel that kind of charisma.  They keep making Rusev a heel, but he keeps getting over because he's just inherently likable and funny.  Roman lacks that feature, and that's why he'll continue to bomb the more they try to promote him as the face of the company.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, The BelgianBear said:

Been away, and then busy, so it's taken me a while to finish the show. But fuck me what a match Okada/Omega IV was. Been avoiding spoilers like crazy, and somehow I did it.

Yeah it was a fantastic match.  I still need to go back and watch the Ospreay match as well, as I've read it was another borderline five star match.  I only caught the last two live.

52 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah it was a fantastic match.  I still need to go back and watch the Ospreay match as well, as I've read it was another borderline five star match.  I only caught the last two live.

Some nasty neck based stuff in the Ospreay match, and yeah it was great. Suzuki worth a watch as well, Him and Ishii, beat the absolute shit out of each other. God I love Suzuki, and ZSJ's holds are a work of art.

8 hours ago, The BelgianBear said:

Just had it pointed out to me that Chris Jericho, the current IWGP IC champion, has a title song for a NXT PPV. And WWE were advertising the New Day / Elite E3 showdown. Weird stuff.

It should be noted that, unlike Vince, Triple H is pretty open to working with other promotions and doesn't seem to want to go out of his way to crush them.  We've seen this with Evolve, where NXT sometimes refers people if they don't think they're quite ready for WWE.  We're obviously seeing it now to some extent with NJPW.  WWE may not be actively working with them, but they seemingly have no problem with Jericho being there.  He appeared on the Raw anniversary show while still working for them and wearing his NJPW gimmick shirt and also appeared at the Greatest Royal Rumble and came out last.  They also seem to have fine relationships with some UK companies, as a lot of their UK guys work those shows as well and Pete Dunne has defended his WWE belt for several indie promotions.

That's why I can't wait for Vince to either die or retire.  I can't imagine the WWE product won't improve immensely once Triple H takes over.  We saw this with 205 Live.  It was one of the worst shows on the Network for a long time there, but after Enzo got fired Vince gave the show to Triple H and it immediately became the best pure wrestling show on the Network and probably the second or third best overall weekly wrestling show behind Lucha Underground and NXT.  It's vastly superior to Raw and Smackdown, at any rate.

Archived