What have you learned since coming on this site?

Varysblackfyre321

"It is said that every building is constructed stone by stone, and the same may be said of knowledge, extracted and compiled by many learned people, each of whom builds upon the works of those who preceded them. What one of them does not know is known to another, and little remains truly unknown if one seeks far enough".

One of my favourite places to come and relax - kinda like some cyberspace Quill and Tankard.

46 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

That, due to the 7 years that have passed since Dance, every reasonable and plausible theory has been discussed so much that they're now being reduced to the most outlandish hot takes. But it's honestly inevitable :P.

Who are you to judge the 'outlandish' from the 'reasonable'?  I have the opposite view on it.  We can never discuss it enough, because GRRM has so thoroughly woven us into his own multifaceted 'weirnet', a textual hall of mirrors where nothing is as it seems, the literal effortlessly bleeding into the metaphorical and vice versa, with no clear demarcation in sight, so that 'inevitably,' as you put it, there are always multiple plausible and therefore no reliable answers to every question.  

"They [i.e. metawise, 'we'] sit moony, staring up at the bloody blue..." -- waiting for answers that will never come!

I first happened on this site seeking to understand the meaning of 'valonqar', my introduction to the rabbithole...  As you can see, I have not left since then!  The absence of definitive proofs notwithstanding, I've found some friends and even some likeminded 'frenemies' along the way B).

I don't know where to begin... I've learned a lot about the novels in a very short time. I loved to find people interested in diving deeper in the story, figuring out symbolism and word play and references and homages to myths and classical works of literature.

I was honestly surprised and annoyed that so many people "hate" fictional characters and I was disappointed when I realized that sometimes it feels...

11 hours ago, Wolf's Bane said:

...like two teams and their fans playing for the championship.

1 hour ago, ravenous reader said:

Who are you to judge the 'outlandish' from the 'reasonable'?  I have the opposite view on it.  We can never discuss it enough, because GRRM has so thoroughly woven us into his own multifaceted 'weirnet', a textual hall of mirrors where nothing is as it seems, the literal effortlessly bleeding into the metaphorical and vice versa, with no clear demarcation in sight, so that 'inevitably,' as you put it, there are always multiple plausible and therefore no reliable answers to every question.  

"They [i.e. metawise, 'we'] sit moony, staring up at the bloody blue..." -- waiting for answers that will never come!

I first happened on this site seeking to understand the meaning of 'valonqar', my introduction to the rabbithole...  As you can see, I have not left since then!  The absence of definitive proofs notwithstanding, I've found some friends and even some likeminded 'frenemies' along the way B).

I think it's pretty obvious what's reasonable and what's outlandish. And I don't mean to say that people can't do it. You're absolutely right in one thing though: there's no end in sight and so we have no definite answers. To me if this series remains unfinished then yeah every discussion will be valid. You can say Kevan Lannister is the father of Edmure Tully that really it won't matter. The series will remain as just an introduction to a 'choose your own adventure' game; no one will be right and no one will be wrong. I for one would very much like the books to be completed though; we definitely need answers, that's for sure.

There is so much information in the books that being on the forums has given me a much better understanding of the story I am reading. I first started frequenting the forums in early 2016, and I remember not remembering who this Ashara Dayne was who everyone was talking about, which really shows how necessary it is to reread the novels to fully understand them.

5 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

I think it's pretty obvious what's reasonable and what's outlandish. And I don't mean to say that people can't do it. You're absolutely right in one thing though: there's no end in sight and so we have no definite answers. To me if this series remains unfinished then yeah every discussion will be valid. You can say Kevan Lannister is the father of Edmure Tully that really it won't matter. The series will remain as just an introduction to a 'choose your own adventure' game; no one will be right and no one will be wrong. I for one would very much like the books to be completed though; we definitely need answers, that's for sure.

Ah you sweet summer child! :lol:

28 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Ah you sweet summer child! :lol:

You're absolutely right! What do I know of westeros.org? I'm going to make a topic saying (spins wheel) Stannis will (picks a card) marry Bloodraven and (spins another wheel) be a tavern cook, which is pretty reasonable. I'll then make a topic saying that I think - maybe - Jon Snow may not actually be the son of Ned Stark, which is - I know - by all measures pretty out there and super outlandish.  

5 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

You're absolutely right! What do I know of westeros.org? I'm going to make a topic saying (spins wheel) Stannis will (picks a card) marry Bloodraven and (spins another wheel) be a tavern cook, which is pretty reasonable. I'll then make a topic saying that I think - maybe - Jon Snow may not actually be the son of Ned Stark, which is - I know - by all measures pretty out there and super outlandish.  

I'd say that's pretty tame compared to some of the things I've read here over the years! :D

2 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Oh god! Exactly.  I'm at the point where I don't think discussions about X+Y=J have any value.  Sometimes they are interesting but they are too confining because they depend on what the prophecies mean and getting your character from one point to another to meet that interpretation. The fact that it is Dany who wakes the dragon and dragons from stone is a good example. 

So I've stopped looking for something to prove an XYZ theory and started looking at what we are being shown and what that says about the prophecy.     

1. The regulars have so much free time on their hands to the extent they hang out on the forums.  So many people posting during business hours. 
  2. I learn a few ideas here and there about many topics.  Too many to list here but the debates is good for a better understanding of the text.

19 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Well Jon may or may not be dead; but I can try to answer your second question; I believe he is the secret love child between a direwolf and a man made of Snow.

Kidding.

But, R+L=J isn't something you feel has been well established? 

Kidding.

In my opinion one thing the forum is seriously lacking now a day is humor.

But, R+L=J isn't something you feel has been well established? 

I’ll say this. Most likely R+L = J is probably correct. I usually zip my lip on that and stay outta the way.

I took a lot of flack in my newbee days because I criticized Martin’s trying to be cute with the various so called red herrings (false leads) of Jon’s parentage.

I mean I’m dealing with a saga of five frekking novels with an insanely amount of info. With the cliffhangers at the end of DwD I ain’t getting my drawers/panties/swimming sock all bunched up over a theory.

Although the thing that can’t be discussed in the book forum has de Na Na floating across the sea with her troops I gotta ask myself ---- novel wise, story wise how the fuck is Martin gonna move that crew? Horses need room to shyte and eat. The Unsullied might not be complainers but I assume they can get seasick (puking & pooping).

De Na Na at the end of DwD is mia. Vic has thirty some odd ships at his disposal when he sails into Slavers Bay. Euron is wreaking havoc near Old Town. Jon is dead or not at the Wall and I still do not know who Mel’s great other whose name can’t be spoken is.

Then there is this Targ kid raised and nurtured by Varys, Ill and JC. Then there is a Dornish woman traveling to hook up with the group all the while sending raven messages to her papa or is that uncle?

Although I accept the commonly accepted theory R+L=J, until the author, Mr. Martin writes it ain't fact. :dunno::cheers:

On 1/27/2018 at 3:42 PM, Sigella said:

Don't even know where to start.

The biggest shock was the Dany-hate.

R+L=J and Lemongate

Lemongate is still the most mystifying thing to me. This is the fandom that invented D+D=T and Varys the Merman, yet the idea that the house with the red door may not have been in Braavos is what causes people to lose their minds. I just don't get it. 

I have learned that waiting makes people scrutinize the text to a fairly ridiculous extent and to build theories based on long and tenuous strings of supposition.  The advent of e-readers and websites like A Search of Ice and Fire in recent years have helped to create a portion of the fan base that is often more interested in hidden meanings and their own tenuous word and phrase connections than GRRM could ever have included in these books.  Darrio = Euron.  High Sparrow = Howland Reed.  Mance Rader = Mystery Knight.  And on and on and on. 

Archived