What have you learned since coming on this site?

Varysblackfyre321

I'll be honest I have been wrong or ignorant on something  regarding the series on here on multiple occasions. For instance thinking Mance had definitely violated guest right, the specifics of Robb's proposal to the IB, and overpopulation being a certain in the north with the wildling refugee influx.  

What about you?

That the fandom in general has such hatred for certain characters based on reasons of morality. I always assumed people liked a good villain or appreciated flaws in characters. But nope.... I hate Dany, I hate Jon, I hate Tyrion.....

I mean some characters that are basically evil are some of my favorites. 

I never read the world of ice and fire, and don't intend to read any non-ASOIAF works, so I learn a ton of stuff through this forum, the most interesting of which was that Targaryens have had scaly monster still births before like Danerys' (which I had assumed was unique to the blood magic MMD was performing in the tent).  I also learned there actually is a lot of hints at A+J=T being possible even early in AGOT for those who believe in it, and that Bloodraven might not be the 3EC.

I sought out an online forum for the first time after realizing that Sansa's direwolf died but then she had this ongoing thing with the Hound. I wonder whether that means something, I asked myself.

Entering these discussions showed me that there was so much depth and so many things in the books that I hadn't yet explored. (Including that many people had already sorted out a lot of the Sansa / Hound stuff.)

As for specifics I picked up here, early sparks came from reading sweetsunray's posts about the Beauty and the Beast pattern (Bear and Maiden Fair) and the significance of tournament wins and losses as foreshadowing. Quite a bit later, GloubieBoulga's insight that Dolorous Edd was a reborn version of Ned Stark opened my eyes to the ways that seemingly minor characters can embody major characters, even from beyond the grave.

On 1/24/2018 at 9:00 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'll be honest I have been wrong or ignorant on something  regarding the series on here on multiple occasions. For instance thinking Mance had definitely violated guest right, the specifics of Robb's proposal to the IB, and overpopulation being a certain in the north with the wildling refugee influx.  

What about you?

You were right the first time:  Mance Rayder broke guest rights in Winterfell.  And don't worry about the wildling influx in the north, nature has a way of thinning out the population, it's called winter time.

On 1/24/2018 at 9:00 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

What about you?

I came to the site accidentally and lurked for a while. Back in 2012 I had two questions when I finished reading DwD.  I googled those two questions and ended up here. The two questions were (1) is Jon Snow dead, the other was (2) who is Jon’s mother. It is now 2018 and as of yet neither question has been answered by the author.

Over the years I developed a nagging question as to when Roose threw in with Frey and Lannister. I don’t have an answer for that one either.

For the past two months some posters have been verra interested in who ate what, when & where. I find that fascinating. Forget the story line just tell me about food. BTW that meal Davos ate sounded mighty good ----

A Dance with Dragons - Davos I    "He'll know. But not from me. Nor you, so long as you are here beneath my leaky roof. I'll not have it said that I gave Stannis aid and counsel. The Sunderlands dragged the Sisters into two of the Blackfyre Rebellions, and we all suffered grievously for that." Lord Godric waved his spoon toward a chair. "Sit. Before you fall, ser. My hall is cold and damp and dark, but not without some courtesy. We'll find dry clothes for you, but first you'll eat." He shouted, and a woman entered the hall. "We have a guest to feed. Bring beer and bread and sister's stew."      The beer was brown, the bread black, the stew a creamy white. She served it in a trencher hollowed out of a stale loaf. It was thick with leeks, carrots, barley, and turnips white and yellow, along with clams and chunks of cod and crabmeat, swimming in a stock of heavy cream and butter. It was the sort of stew that warmed a man right down to his bones, just the thing for a wet, cold night. Davos spooned it up gratefully.    "You have tasted sister's stew before?"

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Eh? Honestly just curious. I know what I am and anyone could look at my activity on this site and should recognize I'm not a sock.

If someone does meh I guess. Like I can't really do anything about it. 

Meh , ok then. Isn’t that you always put it?

3 hours ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I came to the site accidentally and lurked for a while. Back in 2012 I had two questions when I finished reading DwD.  I googled those two questions and ended up here. The two questions were (1) is Jon Snow dead, the other was (2) who is Jon’s mother. It is now 2018 and as of yet neither question has been answered by the author.

Well Jon may or may not be dead; but I can try to answer your second question; I believe he is the secret love child between a direwolf and a man made of Snow.

Kidding.

But, R+L=J isn't something you feel has been well established? 

I'm the kind of person who passionately supports my football and basketball teams and talk trash about their opponents.  I thought I was the only one who was like that about fictional people in a novel. Now, I know I'm not.  This is the best forum for discussing the novels and I have been to many of them.  The more fans I talk to, the more I realize just how loyal they are to their favorite character.  Daenerys and Jon have the most passionate fans.  Those who like the one dislike the other.  It's like two teams and their fans playing for the championship.

Archived