Has westeros progressed?

Varysblackfyre321

12 hours ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Agreed, that claim has seemed suspect from the start for me given how poor record keeping appears to be. The various interregnum theories (that Planetos as a whole is an old society that suffered a cataclysm setting its technology/mentality back) are fairly consistent with Martin’s other works.

Im down with the interregnum stuff because I know what you are referring to,   however, I feel that there is a great quote that explains how the trees have all the knowledge, kinda like the academy Kleronomas was striving for. Please allow me to get to my computer to find it properly. 

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But wouldn't the poor record keeping be explained partly because over the course of thousands of years it'd be hard exactly to catalog all the new information being created every year? 

Sure, if new informational was actually being discovered every year. But as the thesis of this thread goes, there doesn’t seem to be that much in terms of progress. The entirety of Weaterosi history is just a catalouging of small and big wars. I’d argue that since this is all that actually seems to happen of note, it becomes easy to lose a sense of historical perspective and overstate the length of time that has actually eclipsed.

6 minutes ago, The Mountain That Flies said:

Sure, if new informational was actually being discovered every year. But as the thesis of this thread goes, there doesn’t seem to be that much in terms of progress. The entirety of Weaterosi history is just a catalouging of small and big wars. I’d argue that since this is all that actually seems to happen of note, it becomes easy to lose a sense of historical perspective and overstate the length of time that has actually eclipsed.

Like new lords being born how they acted in life,new titles given are to be documented, and even just cataloging war...human beings do that a lot no? I do think it's possible(if not pretty likely) that people have vastly overestimated just old their society is.

Archived