Does Freys use the Iron throne inheritancrule?

Kandrax

Alys Karstark says that daughters came before lord's brothers, yet in second book:"I will," Big Walder declared. "We're not the only Walders either. Ser Stevron has a grandson, Black Walder, he's fourth in line of succession. But Black have niece Walda so shouldn't she be fourth in line?  Either Freys copy IT or daughters before  lord's brothers is retcon.

Kingship and a lordship may also be treated differently. So, you wouldn't go back to one of Tytos's other sons (Kevan), you stick with Tywin's children. If one of Alys's brother's had had a son, that son would have inherited.

I am no expert, but I think this is a partial explanation:

Male-preference primogeniture

Male-preference primogeniture accords succession to the throne to a female member of a dynasty if she has no living brothers and no deceased brothers who left surviving legitimate descendants. A dynast's sons and their lines of descent all come before that dynast's daughters and their lines. Older sons and their lines come before younger sons and their lines. Older daughters and their lines come before younger daughters and their lines.

35 minutes ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Kingship and a lordship may also be treated differently. So, you wouldn't go back to one of Tytos's other sons (Kevan), you stick with Tywin's children. If one of Alys's brother's had had a son, that son would have inherited.

I am no expert, but I think this is a partial explanation:

Male-preference primogeniture

Male-preference primogeniture accords succession to the throne to a female member of a dynasty if she has no living brothers and no deceased brothers who left surviving legitimate descendants. A dynast's sons and their lines of descent all come before that dynast's daughters and their lines. Older sons and their lines come before younger sons and their lines. Older daughters and their lines come before younger daughters and their lines.

This doesn't explain why is Black fourth instead of fifth in line of succesion.

3 hours ago, Kandrax said:

He was called fourth while Stevron was still alive.

Ugh, missed that. Sorry.   Either unreliable narrator by the Frey kids, them just taking the daughter out of the succession (a la FVR's answer above), or a mistake by the author? Either way it is not likely to be of any consequence.

9 hours ago, Kandrax said:

Either Freys copy IT or daughters before  lord's brothers is retcon.

I don't think it is as simple as that, I don't think Westeros has any set rules. 

The granddaughters of Cregan Stark, the daughters of his oldest son, were over looked for the Lordship of the North by their uncles, when the Hornwood inheritance is talked about Lord Hornwood's sister is not brought up and her sons have somehow jumped above her in the succession line while we see that even in Dorne Mariah Martell was overlooked when she got married and that was the intention for Arrianne Martell as well has she married Viserys. Perhaps wives in the line of succession (and their husbands) are given an option of which House they are going to 'serve' which would weaken their ties to the other House. 

In some cases it seems women marrying our taken out of the line of succession, so perhaps the theory is that the two great, great granddaughters of Walder Frey did not really count as one day they would be married and no longer be an obstacle. 

GRRM has likely been purposefully vague on this and it may mean that there is not so much a law but a case by case situation. 

8 hours ago, Ser Leftwich said:

Ugh, missed that. Sorry.   Either unreliable narrator by the Frey kids, them just taking the daughter out of the succession (a la FVR's answer above), or a mistake by the author? Either way it is not likely to be of any consequence.

Well, if it is mistake, it is not only one. In same book after Stevron's death BW says, , that after Edwyn, Black is next in line, and in fourth Edwyn says to Jaime that he is only one standing between Black and Twins.

8 hours ago, Bernie Mac said:

I don't think it is as simple as that, I don't think Westeros has any set rules. 

The granddaughters of Cregan Stark, the daughters of his oldest son, were over looked for the Lordship of the North by their uncles, when the Hornwood inheritance is talked about Lord Hornwood's sister is not brought up and her sons have somehow jumped above her in the succession line while we see that even in Dorne Mariah Martell was overlooked when she got married and that was the intention for Arrianne Martell as well has she married Viserys. Perhaps wives in the line of succession (and their husbands) are given an option of which House they are going to 'serve' which would weaken their ties to the other House. 

In some cases it seems women marrying our taken out of the line of succession, so perhaps the theory is that the two great, great granddaughters of Walder Frey did not really count as one day they would be married and no longer be an obstacle. 

GRRM has likely been purposefully vague on this and it may mean that there is not so much a law but a case by case situation. 

This is possible answer.

Archived