LGBTQ+ 6 -- It's a Rainbow of Flavors

Xray the Enforcer

This came up elsewhere.  I think you can figure out my view on it, but does anyone think this is a good idea, in view of the level of violence in the series.  http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/altered-carbon/news/a850084/altered-carbon-season-2-gender-fluidity-transgender-lgbtq/  I'm not asking  about the merits of the book, or series.  Just wondering if anyone thinks this would have any benefit.

• 3 weeks later...

I need the hive mind on this.  A trans man I've known since the 1980s, but broke contact with over a year ago, underwent surgery for a life threatening condition.  I was just contacted by a Facebook friend, who had been his friend, but similarly broke contact with him.  This person is a trans woman who I know to be honest and honorable.  She has been trying to find the hospital where he is, but doesn't  know what name he was admitted under.

I know he never got his ID changed and know both his birth name and married name, which might be the key to locating him.  Being such a privacy advocate, my first thought is that I may not provide this information.  What do you think?

ETA:  After consulting with an attorney, who agreed my view that sharing the information was improper, I let her know that I couldn't provide it.

Edited by Robin Of House Hill
Answered my own question.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone catch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Sunday night?

His main story was on Mike Pence and his hatred towards homosexuality.

He's also got a children's book coming out about his bunny Bundo.

So...John Oliver and LWT put their own book out 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-oliver-trolls-vice-president-mike-pence-with-gay-childrens-book-of-his-pet-bunny

(Last Week Tonight Presents) A Day In The Life Of Marlon Bundo

It's an actual children's book, there's an audible version with Jim Parsons, John Lithgow, and Jeff Garland among others lending their voices.

All proceeds go to the LGBT organizations the Trevor Project, which “provides crisis and suicide prevention services for LGBT youths,” and AIDS United, “which works to end the AIDS epidemic in the United States.” If you make a donation to the Trevor Project or AIDS United in the amount of $11.99 or more, you get a free copy of the e-book. Also, you can purchase an audiobook version at Audible.comfeaturing the voices of Jim Parsons, Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Jeff Garlin, Ellie Kemper, John Lithgow, Jack McBrayer, and RuPaul.

“Those are two great reasons to buy this book,” Oliver said of the LGBT organizations. “Another is that selling more books than Pence will probably really piss him off, so that’s three great reasons right there.”

It's difficult for me with my budget to always lend help and donate to all the causes I want to, but with this one, I think it's just too sweet a deal and idea to pass up. I want the physical hardcover book too, it will look great on my coffee table.

4 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Anyone catch Last Week Tonight with John Oliver Sunday night?

His main story was on Mike Pence and his hatred towards homosexuality.

He's also got a children's book coming out about his bunny Bundo.

So...John Oliver and LWT put their own book out 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/john-oliver-trolls-vice-president-mike-pence-with-gay-childrens-book-of-his-pet-bunny

(Last Week Tonight Presents) A Day In The Life Of Marlon Bundo

It's an actual children's book, there's an audible version with Jim Parsons, John Lithgow, and Jeff Garland among others lending their voices.

It's difficult for me with my budget to always lend help and donate to all the causes I want to, but with this one, I think it's just too sweet a deal and idea to pass up. I want the physical hardcover book too, it will look great on my coffee table.

I just watched this episode. I so dearly hope that this version of the book becomes a smash hit, utterly crushing the other in sales. And long-term effect.

I will buy it for my kids. :)

In case anyone has forgotten: Pence and his terrible policies enabled the worst HIV epidemic in the US in recent years. https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/28/indiana-hiv-outbreak/26498117/

As such, while I'm glad that the Trevor Project is getting some much-needed visibility, I'm also really glad to see Oliver and his team acknowledge more of Pence's sins than just the homophobic bigotry. 

Edited by Xray the Enforcer

9 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Y'all got your wish: Oliver's book not only outsold Pence's, but it's the #1 seller at Amazon yesterday. 

Wow!

The book is now #1, #3 (in audiobook) and #6 (ebook version)! It takes up three spots in the top 10! :D

12 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Y'all got your wish: Oliver's book not only outsold Pence's, but it's the #1 seller at Amazon yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Yukle said:

Wow!

The book is now #1, #3 (in audiobook) and #6 (ebook version)! It takes up three spots in the top 10! :D

Go to the 1 star reviews on Amazon, it's totally hilarious and in the spirit of LWT.

I found a side piece (finally).  It's a dude.  About every 15 minutes that I hang out with him I'm asking myself, "WTF is wrong with him?"  It's always dude stuff.  I am resigned to my misandry and doing my best to just try and enjoy his company and cut out when I see weird dude power struggle drama bullshit show up.   At least the, er, "exercise" is consistently adequate and I no longer feel like I'm about to bite my own face off.  The not-girlfriend (?) doesn't hate him and he doesn't talk too much.  

17 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

More seriously, I'm wondering about this? Is he pulling this on you, on other dudes, or on the world in general (or a little of all of it)?

I don't know?  Had a week of totally fun amazing, er, exercise and then he got weird.  Snappish.  I took off, because life is too short to hang out with someone who cant speak to other people respectfully.  Chalked it up to a bad day,  but since then he has been lukewarm on making plans.  I ran into him at my "office" (the local tavern) and the chemistry was still DEFINITELY there, but he was on a date so I split.  Texted him the following morning about making plans and he was all, "call me Friday and I'll see what I'm up to."  All together is smells like some bullshit dude emotional mind game nonsense.  I forgot how cagey dudes behave early on and when things are going well.  That whole "act cool so she doesn't think I like her that much"  Or maybe he doesn't like me that much. 

I find the latter hard to believe.   He has a pretty reliable "thermostat" that I read with the all detail that a trained scientist can bring to a new field of research.  :P

Anyway, I'll be seeing him this weekend since he's in my Mardi Gras Krewe and we're planning our Easter party.  :shrugs:  It's just been a looooooooooong time since I had to deal with the EPIC nonsense that most men bring to the table with their poor emotional awareness and general immaturity.  He's my age, btw.  Just reconfirming that I'm pretty gay these days by CHOICE and very grateful that it's an option for me. 

To my beautiful bi pals up on this board:     ******GO TEAM BISEXUALS!  TWICE THE OPTIONS AND TWICE THE FUN.  GO AHEAD CALL ME "GREEDYAND I WILL CACKLE ALL THE WAY TO MY GRAVE WITH A DATE ON FRIDAY NIGHT!********

All the love from New Orleans.  If I haven't mentioned it recently, thank you all.  Especially @brook @Xray the Enforcer @Theda Baratheon for helping me find the guts to come out.  Better late than never.  <3

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

I don't know?  Had a week of totally fun amazing, er, exercise and then he got weird.  Snappish.  I took off, because life is too short to hang out with someone who cant speak to other people respectfully.  Chalked it up to a bad day,  but since then he has been lukewarm on making plans.  I ran into him at my "office" (the local tavern) and the chemistry was still DEFINITELY there, but he was on a date so I split.  Texted him the following morning about making plans and he was all, "call me Friday and I'll see what I'm up to."  All together is smells like some bullshit dude emotional mind game nonsense.  I forgot how cagey dudes behave early on and when things are going well.  That whole "act cool so she doesn't think I like her that much"  Or maybe he doesn't like me that much. 

I find the latter hard to believe.   He has a pretty reliable "thermostat" that I read with the all detail that a trained scientist can bring to a new field of research.  :P

Anyway, I'll be seeing him this weekend since he's in my Mardi Gras Krewe and we're planning our Easter party.  :shrugs:  It's just been a looooooooooong time since I had to deal with the EPIC nonsense that most men bring to the table with their poor emotional awareness and general immaturity.  He's my age, btw.  Just reconfirming that I'm pretty gay these days by CHOICE and very grateful that it's an option for me.

To my beautiful bi pals up on this board:     ******GO TEAM BISEXUALS!  TWICE THE OPTIONS AND TWICE THE FUN.  GO AHEAD CALL ME "GREEDYAND I WILL CACKLE ALL THE WAY TO MY GRAVE WITH A DATE ON FRIDAY NIGHT!********

All the love from New Orleans.  If I haven't mentioned it recently, thank you all.  Especially @brook @Xray the Enforcer @Theda Baratheon for helping me find the guts to come out.  Better late than never.  <3

As an emotionally unaware immature dude, I would say the most likely explanations are that he's trying to keep a bit of distance because he's worried about you going all "I love you and want your babies" and/or he wants to avoid/put off exclusivity because, y'know, no matter how good that chocolate ice cream is, doesn't mean you don't want some strawberry.

Your comment about having amazing exercise (can we just say sex?) but him being a bit annoying otherwise reminded me of something a bi female friend told me that I found hilarious, when I asked her whether she generally preferred men or women- "well girls are so sweet, they do all these little things that make you feel so loved... but guys have dicks...."- dunno if this is a popular line of thinking? 

34 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

As an emotionally unaware immature dude, I would say the most likely explanations are that he's trying to keep a bit of distance because he's worried about you going all "I love you and want your babies" and/or he wants to avoid/put off exclusivity because, y'know, no matter how good that chocolate ice cream is, doesn't mean you don't want some strawberry.

Your comment about having amazing exercise (can we just say sex?) but him being a bit annoying otherwise reminded me of something a bi female friend told me that I found hilarious, when I asked her whether she generally preferred men or women- "well girls are so sweet, they do all these little things that make you feel so loved... but guys have dicks...."- dunno if this is a popular line of thinking? 

I am living with someone else, so the whole I love you and want your babies thing is definitely not right.  We also both have grown children.  I think that some dudes play cool to promote insecurity or because of their own insecurity.  Really don't know what's going on in his case.  I'm pretty up front, so I intend to just ask this weekend.  I don't do exclusivity.  Maybe he does?  Dunno.

*AND*

Tell your friend I have a whole bag of dicks.  :P

50 minutes ago, Lily Valley said:

I am living with someone else, so the whole I love you and want your babies thing is definitely not right.  We also both have grown children.  I think that some dudes play cool to promote insecurity or because of their own insecurity.  Really don't know what's going on in his case.  I'm pretty up front, so I intend to just ask this weekend.  I don't do exclusivity.  Maybe he does?  Dunno.

*AND*

Tell your friend I have a whole bag of dicks.  :P

Ok, I was assuming you were a lot younger to be honest. I only know about insecure men in their teens/early twenties... I mean the insecurity thing could well be a part of it, is that really a dude thing, though? If you've been up front about not being exclusive, maybe it's the exact opposite to what I said, he wants something exclusive and he doesn't want to get too attached because you don't.

I'm just trying to think how many a bagful is... and I'm not trying to be all "battle of the sexes", but if I tell people I have a whole bag of vaginas, it's seen as creepy :(

14 minutes ago, mankytoes said:

Ok, I was assuming you were a lot younger to be honest. I only know about insecure men in their teens/early twenties... I mean the insecurity thing could well be a part of it, is that really a dude thing, though? If you've been up front about not being exclusive, maybe it's the exact opposite to what I said, he wants something exclusive and he doesn't want to get too attached because you don't.

I'm just trying to think how many a bagful is... and I'm not trying to be all "battle of the sexes", but if I tell people I have a whole bag of vaginas, it's seen as creepy :(

Lol, last time I counted I had 14.  It's been a while since I had to find my patience to do this awkward preliminary fragile man feelings mating dance.  It's exhausting.  

Much love to you @Lily Valley <3 

I'm always confused as a bi woman - especially in a rural ish area because there is no scene of single people here - everyone is coupled up, dudes aren't attracted to me and there are no cool queer ladies around? Honestly if I don't get to the city soon I'm going to spontaneously combust

1 hour ago, Lily Valley said:

Lol, last time I counted I had 14.  It's been a while since I had to find my patience to do this awkward preliminary fragile man feelings mating dance.  It's exhausting.  

I am genuinely impressed.

Are girls really that much better though? When I was around a lesbian group it was the most ridiculous soap opera of cheating, breaking up, love triangles, etc, I'd ever seen. I mean that was uni, so I'm not saying that's a fair judge of these relationships in general, but nothing I've seen makes me think it's a peaceful option. I guess maybe the female bullshit is different to the male bullshit, and at least you can understand the female bullshit better?