If There Were No Internet and Social Media, What would You Be Doing Now?

GAROVORKIN

21 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Not a reading group kinda fella?

I was going to give a flippant answer but then I thought a bit more about why I really haven't  joined a reading group. My reading is somewhat eclectic, ranging from the SF and fantasy usually discussed here, to non fiction about history, math, sciences and biographies. Even so most people don't share my particular taste in writers. Talking about Zelazny or Delaney on this board even draws almost no response. 

And then there is shift work which I have done most of my working life. That really fucks up getting together regularly with a group. 

Watching television (and there would be much better programs with less competition from other types of idiot box) or reading books. But I would be more limited in my choice as I would not have a kindle.

Probably waiting for my mail-order packages to show up from the Amazon, creating a bunch of fake name accounts for Columbia House and BMG to score a bunch of CDs for free (well a penny for one of them, think it was CH), and spamming the local newspaper with a bunch of shittily written op-eds.  Oh and maybe using one of those video dating services.

I would probably watch tv and do knitting or stitchwork at the same time. Needles and pins have been replaced by mouse and keyboard.

However working with teenagers is now piece of cake when I've learned from the internet how the adult trolls and bullies work. 

Well I've pretty much been without the internet for the past week at home (due to a neighborhood outage) and while I'm not cut off entirely due to my phone I do hate to look at the internet on my phone so I might as well not have it.  As a result, I have been reminded how productive I used to be at home in decades past.  I have gotten so much done in the past week - from financial paperwork, to getting stuff for charity donating sorted, to hanging 12 pictures I've been meaning to hang for the past 6 months....I really need to figure out how to keep this momentum going and not slip back into old lazy ways once my service has been restored.

Archived