Why aren’t Hawaii and Norway closer?

HexMachina

Question prompted by a fascinating debate between @larrytheimp and @dmc515, some good points made on both sides :) 

Personally I think they should be closer, and the only obvious solution is to attach giant magnets to Hawaii and pull the islands gently towards Norway. This seems perfectly logical and reasonable. I would need some opinions on how strong the magnets should be though

17 minutes ago, Rorshach said:

Would kill Hawaii as a tourist destination for sure.

Which isn't necessairly a bad thing. I am pretty sure, if the folks back then knew about package tourists, god would have send them to Egypt,and not locusts.The Bible would make so much more sense, if airplanes full of those descended from the skies to plague the land of the old pharaohs. Well, and Angelina Jole and Madonna travelling there to adopt all the first borns.

9 minutes ago, Notone said:

Which isn't necessairly a bad thing. I am pretty sure, if the folks back then knew about package tourists, god would have send them to Egypt,and not locusts.The Bible would make so much more sense, if airplanes full of those descended from the skies to plague the land of the old pharaohs. Well, and Angelina Jole and Madonna travelling there to adopt all the first borns.

Quite possible. 

We would still have to overextend our health care when millions of depressed Hawaiians arrive. Perhaps we should move Hawaii to Australia instead?

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Question prompted by a fascinating debate between @larrytheimp and @dmc515, some good points made on both sides :) 

Personally I think they should be closer, and the only obvious solution is to attach giant magnets to Hawaii and pull the islands gently towards Norway. This seems perfectly logical and reasonable. I would need some opinions on how strong the magnets should be though

Thanks for tackling this one with such rigor.  I just didn't have the energy or intellectual capability to make it happen, so I'm grateful and humbled that my life's most daunting question is being investigated!

That would make Hawaii and Sweden closer, but Hawaii and Norway would be just as far apart as ever.

ETA: must learn to read before replying, you swapped with Iceland... Not sure why you'd rename a supermarket brand though... Erm...

4 hours ago, Roose Boltons Pet Leech said:

Foolish people.

The obvious solution is to make Iceland and Hawaii swap names. Thus making Hawaii and Norway closer.

This would be an ideal solution for the USA, but only if done quickly. 

Seeing as USA aren’t qualified for the football WC, but Iceland is.

24 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Maybe the truth is they're just not that into each other?

Perhaps you're right. Hawaii is hot with a volcanic temper, while Norway is cool and sophisticated, some might say, frigid.  

20 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Opposites attract?

That might happen if Norway was Iceland then Iceland and Hawaii could at least have volcanos in common, but Norway and Hawaii are just too different.     :box:

Why are we even wasting our brain power on such an inconsequential “problem”? Hawaii and Norway are just fine where they are. What we need to do is get back to figuring out how to move Australia farther away from everything.

The Pacific plate is carrying Hawaii northwest-ish. Not the quickest route but it is closer to Norway each year, which is moving a lot slower in an arc towards Hawaii.

Unfortunately Australia is slowly headed towards the northern hemisphere craziness.

Archived