What Do You Do When You Are Bored?

Fragile Bird

8 hours ago, Xray the Enforcer said:

Most often, I will sit the boredom and really experience it, let my mind wander wherever it might decide to go. I've found that to be incredibly useful, and intellectually and emotionally rewarding. I'm a better, more thoughtful writer and editor for it. 

Sure, but it’s not as great for Air Traffic Controllers. 

On 2/3/2018 at 5:21 PM, James Arryn said:

Sure, but it’s not as great for Air Traffic Controllers. 

Are you an ATC?  I was an IFR controller, got hired by Transport Canada back in 1993, when I was 19, completed my initial training in 94, and did 2 years @ Winnipeg Control Center managing some pretty boring airspace.  I'd put in for a transfer to Gander to do some oceanic airspace stuff, when I got out for a better business opportunity. 

Boredom busting:

- practice BJJ on the mats with a dummy if I can't find a partner, do some reading - better yet some writing. 

- Practice some tunes on one of my sets of bagpipes or my electronic chanters. 

- practice some Iaido, kenjutsu, or tameshigiri if i have some mats on hand. Practice some Kendo kata and techniques or work on my equipment and shinai

- fly online in one of the flight simulators out there.

- play with and train our new cat.

On saturday I went to see some friends and have a smoke with them, so I didnt take the car. I had to get the train home. Following the 45 minute train ride, I had a 30 minute walk.

I forgot my headphones. After having an anxiety attack for about 3 hours, I left my friends house and had to entertain my self on the way home.

I thought about the gym. for 90 minutes. Letting my injured hip/groin recover, improving my lifts and generally thought about how much of a beast I could be if I stopped drinking.

If I was in the house alone, I would either play on one of the Souls games or read a book. I'd watch a boxset but I usually watch them with my S/O so it would be mean to skip ahead.

Anyway, never forget your headphones.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived