What Are Your Favorite Space Ships from the Movies and Television And Computer Games ?

GAROVORKIN

On 1/29/2018 at 0:30 PM, Rhom said:

No love for the Normandy SR-2?!!!?

I had it on the list I made for the other thread @GAROVORKIN started.

I'm not sure which really is my favorite, but what I mainly like:

From Star Wars - the Imperial Star Destroyer, the Clone Wars era Venator-class star destroyer, the X-Wing fighter

From Star Trek - the Sovereign-class Federation starship (Enterprise E was it?)

From Battlestar Galactica (re-imagined) - the overall design of the battlestars, with the Pegasus being my favorite

From Stargate - the X-304 Daedalus-class battlecruiser, the Destiny

From Babylon 5 - the Star Fury fighter of Earth Force

From Mass Effect - the Normandy and the Tempest

From Homeworld - the Pride of Hiigara

I would also add the new star destroyers from Star Wars, the Resurgent class.

TARDIS and Millennium Falcon, obviously; with honourable mentions for Discovery One and the Heart of Gold*

If including books, then Rama joins the list; whilst computer games would bring in the Starship Titanic onto the honourable mentions (technically, books could do this too)

* Seriously, any ship that can turn a nuclear missile into a pissed off bowl of petunias has got to get an honourable mention at the very least.

The spacecraft from the three Homeworld games have simply never been bettered for video game ship designs. Heavily influenced by Chris Foss and Peter Elson 1970s SF book covers, they're all pretty good but the Homeworld 2 Mothership is still incredible. It's the only spaceship model I still own.

Of the Star Trek ships, the movie Enterprise/Enterprise-A remains absolutely definitive. I'm also a big fan of the Mercury-class Pegasus from Battlestar Galactica.

37 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The spacecraft from the three Homeworld games have simply never been bettered for video game ship designs. Heavily influenced by Chris Foss and Peter Elson 1970s SF book covers, they're all pretty good but the Homeworld 2 Mothership is still incredible. It's the only spaceship model I still own.

That is really cool, though I have to say even though I've played neither game, in pure visuals the Normandy is equally so.

Just looking at this topic, and doing a bit of googling, though, it's gotta be said, video game spaceship design has been underwhelming through the years. A lot of the designs that keep popping up on people's lists are obvious homages/blatant ripoffs of existing movie ships, like the Arwing or Nishimura, and others just aren't that interesting to look at (Samus' gunship keeps popping up, and that's just downright ugly). I'm assuming there are some examples on lesser-talked about games but there doesn't seem to be a deep pool of awesome.

Conflict: Freespace and Freespace 2 also have some outstanding ship designs, and Elite: Dangerous has some pretty good stuff (some going right back to the original Elite in 1984). There's some okay stuff in EVE Online, Starlancer and the Mass Effect games. But HomeworldHomeworld: Cataclysm and Homeworld 2 are really where it's all at.

5 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Well I'm reading hitchikers guide to the galaxy: a trilogy in four parts atm so I have to say Heart of Gold.

Also Serenity and Millennium Falcon

5 parts; 6 if you include the official fan-fic (which no-one does)

3 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Well MY BOOK says FOUR parts so that is all I'm reading for the moment :lol:

:o You're missing the last bit!

Admittedly the last bit was kind of weird and Adams always intended to write another one to sort it out but died before he could. :(

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

:o You're missing the last bit!

Admittedly the last bit was kind of weird and Adams always intended to write another one to sort it out but died before he could. :(

I' joking I'll read it all I'll just have to buy the last part. Cnt believe it took me so long to read this I LOVE IT 

12 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

Obviously I’ve got to go with the Imperial Star Destroyer, I’m not keen on the Super Star Destroyers though-too blingy.

Really? I'd think you would've chosen a ship that didn't lose you the war. 

Like a Mon Calamari Cruiser. Now THOSE were some fine vessels. 

Archived