What Are Your Favorite Space Ships from the Movies and Television And Computer Games ?

GAROVORKIN

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I' joking I'll read it all I'll just have to buy the last part. Cnt believe it took me so long to read this I LOVE IT 

Adams' two Dirk Gently novels are also excellent if you haven't read them, although they are a bit lacking in spaceships.

25 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

I will read them because I really want to watch the show! Am hearing good things! 

An excellent show, definitely watch it when you get the chance

Just now, Martini Sigil said:

Having trouble choosing between the Rocinante, and Lone Star's Winnebago 

Rocinate would be my choice too :) 

12 hours ago, williamjm said:

Adams' two Dirk Gently novels are also excellent if you haven't read them, although they are a bit lacking in spaceships.

Yerp - my favourite DA books to be sure. The show would have been so much better to me if I hadn't read the books beforehand; but that's always the risk with crossing media.

And whilst they don't have spaceships; they DO have a Thor

8 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Yerp - my favourite DA books to be sure. The show would have been so much better to me if I hadn't read the books beforehand; but that's always the risk with crossing media.

And whilst they don't have spaceships; they DO have a Thor

I've just remembered that there is a spaceship in the first book, although we only see it briefly near the end.

I think the TV show does a good job of capturing Adams' anarchic sense of humour and the surrealism of his plotting, I think he might well have approved of it even if it changes so much from the books. I think it's best not to think too much about the book when watching the show, while it does bring some new things that are a lot of fun, it is missing most of my favourite parts of the books like the Electric Monk, Dirk's pocket I-Ching calculator or Thor counting all the stones in Wales.

On 04/02/2018 at 9:33 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Really? I'd think you would've chosen a ship that didn't lose you the war. 

Like a Mon Calamari Cruiser. Now THOSE were some fine vessels. 

The ISD didn’t lose me the war, that was plot armour, a turncoat apprentice and an angsty teenager :P.

23 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think the TV show does a good job of capturing Adams' anarchic sense of humour and the surrealism of his plotting, I think he might well have approved of it even if it changes so much from the books.

Isn't it supposed to be a sequel to the books, rather than an adaptation? I'm pretty sure there was a reference to book events early on, though I don't recall the details. Dirk himself isn't much like I imagined him (the BBC series Dirk is closer), but I'm not sure it isn't a valid interpretation of the character as written; I'd need to reread the books.

7 hours ago, Lord Sidious said:

The ISD didn’t lose me the war, that was plot armour, a turncoat apprentice and an angsty teenager :P.

Ah yes. That despicable plot armor. I've heard it's even strong enough to stop stone tipped arrows. Too bad no other futuristic materials can.

1 hour ago, felice said:

Isn't it supposed to be a sequel to the books, rather than an adaptation? I'm pretty sure there was a reference to book events early on, though I don't recall the details. Dirk himself isn't much like I imagined him (the BBC series Dirk is closer), but I'm not sure it isn't a valid interpretation of the character as written; I'd need to reread the books.

It could be that's the intention, I haven't really read anything about what the writers of the show have said. There are some book references occasionally, Dirk a couple of times refers to meeting Thor. While Dirk does share some character traits with the book Dirk I don't know whether the backstory really fits with it being a sequel, maybe if the entire Blackwing project took place after the books but I'm not sure if he's old enough for that to make sense.

On 06/02/2018 at 8:07 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

Ah yes. That despicable plot armor. I've heard it's even strong enough to stop stone tipped arrows. Too bad no other futuristic materials can.

Don’t forget the lot armour merged with cuteness/fluffiness, a true force to rule the galaxy!.

Archived