Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

Just finished watching season 1 of "The Good Place" on Netflix.

First few episodes I was lukewarm towards it, thought it was too cutesy for me. But I kept on watching an episode every now and then. By the time I got to around chapter 6 or 7 the show really hooked me and in the last few days I binged the rest of season 1. By the end I really loved it, more than I thought I would.

Spoiler

Don't want to say much more outside of spoilers, if I had known there was a twist but nothing more just going into it, I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out. However, just watching this show taking it at face value, albeit a very quirky face value, I was blind sided by the twist and I loved it! Now I'm pissed I didn't finish sooner because the first half of season 2 has all ready expired off Hulu and this is a show I really don't want to skip chapters as I watch it. So I got to wait. In this day and age! That's forked up!!!

I'm not really sure what the fuck is going on in this latest X-Files season.  It's like, they know there's this vast alien conspiracy to destroy the world, but then in episode three they just go back to working a random case of the week and don't even mention the world-ending alien conspiracy.

I mean, not complaining since the monster of the week episodes were almost always better than the conspiracy bullshit, but it just seems a little silly.

A couple of episodes into Berlin Babylon.  I didn't like the first novel in the series much.  So far, even though almost everything is different from the book, I'm not liking the television series much either.  Don't know why, beyond it being dismal beyond belief, so focused on the ugly and seedy aspects of 1929.  But so are a lot of entertainments -- really, Peaky Blinders?  So what's my problem?

21 hours ago, Triskele said:

I've only seen E1 of Counterpart but thought it was a really strong pilot and am interested in more.  Not sure I've ever really watched a Starz show...

I watched the second episode. Still interesting but curious to see the big picture here. Has potential to be a great show. JK Simmons is awesome.

Watched Sam Peckinpah’s The Wild Bunch earlier. Holy shit, what an amazing movie. Brutal as hell for the1969 U.S. Shame on me for not getting to this one sooner. 

Up next I’m going to rewatch Blade Runner 2049 since I just bought it on Blu-ray. Should be all kinds of gorgeous. 

I've just watched the first three of Dark on Netflix.  Fun to see a premium TV type show from another country as so much of what I get is US or UK.  Pretty impressed with this one so far.

13 hours ago, Triskele said:

I've just watched the first three of Dark on Netflix.  Fun to see a premium TV type show from another country as so much of what I get is US or UK.  Pretty impressed with this one so far.

You're in for a real treat. Dark is a wonderful series, one of my tops for 2017. Please share your thoughts and theories in the show's thread once you finish.

I'm two episodes into Altered Carbon and am thoroughly enjoying it. It's been a few years since I've read the novel, but am avoiding heading into the dedicated thread to avoid any possible show spoilers that may deviate from the novel.

15 hours ago, Triskele said:

Assume you're watching in German with subtitles? (if not, you'll have to go back to the start and begin again)

Watched a really scary episode of Horizon last night (I'm guessing it was originally on a while ago) which pits fat vs sugar against each other. Two doctors who are twins agree to take up, respectively, a high carb no fat or a high fat, no carb diet for one month. They undergo challenges to see how their bodies respond to the diets. The impact of the high fat diet was an overall weight loss (but at the cost of muscle loss) and also a reduced ability to respond to insulin. The guy on the high sugar diet was still responding well to insulin but the question is for how long would that happen and was that actually a good thing or not?

As a terrifying addendum they looked at some meta studies done on extreme diets and found that if you give rats a high carb diet they sort of manage their overall intake of calories to balance out the extra carbs. Same thing with a high fat diet. But if you give them foods with high fat AND high carbs (in a 1:1 ratio) then they kind of lose their minds. They just get out of control eating this super rubbish food as if they are addicted to it, they never knew when they'd had enough. Really quite sobering stuff. 

Saw Lone Survivor all the way through for the first time last night. Seen bits and pieces on tv before. Solid movie. Wahlberg was okay in it. Emile Hirsch's character seemed pretty unstable for a Seal, but what do I know. Also, not sure how those guys didn't all break their backs ten times over after all the rolling down the mountain scenes. That's just the Hollywood touch on it though.

My 10 y/o daughter recently discovered Once Upon a Time. Now I’m binge watching it with her. We’re currently halfway through season one. I’m surprised about how good it is: the world building, the endless amount of interesting characters, how all of those characters are interconnected, the modern day retelling of the fairytales, etc. Unfortunately, I really hate the thread that’s holding it all together. Any time Mary Margaret (Snow White) and David (Prince Charming) are on screen together in their modern day setting and waffling on about the difficulties of trying to love each other I want to bang my head against a wall.

On February 3, 2018 at 4:04 AM, Nictarion said:

Watched Sam Peckinpah’s The Wild Bunch earlier. Holy shit, what an amazing movie. Brutal as hell for the1969 U.S. Shame on me for not getting to this one sooner. 

Have you seen Peckinpah's "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid" https://g.co/kgs/JNbQoT

I just love that, movie. The Dylan music alone is great, but Kristofferson and Coburn are also classic. Peckinpaugh has a cameo in it. A lot going for this very underrated/under the radar, Western imo.

1 minute ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Have you seen Peckinpah's "Pat Garret and Billy the Kid" https://g.co/kgs/JNbQoT

I just love that, movie. The Dylan music alone is great, but Kristofferson and Coburn are also classic. Peckinpaugh has a cameo in it plus the screenplay comes from a Gore Vidal novel. A lot going for this very underrated/under the radar, Western imo.

Haven’t seen it. I’ll have to check it out. 

Just saw an advert. for a "Paterno" movie starring Pacino, theyve got Pacino made up as a eerily convincing Paterno too. Just seeing that ad has me creeped the hell out imagining the horrible ground the movie will have to cover, and whose gonna do the role of pedo guy? It took me a long time before I could bring myself to watch "Spotlight", all those same reservations are back with this.

Really enjoying my Moviepass that came a week ago. I pay 17 dollars for a matinee in my Queens neighborhood. It's ridiculous. So now that I've seen Jumanji (I sure would have loved it when I was 12, had fun three times that age), The Last Jedi (the dumb parts annoyed me much more on this second viewing, but I got to sit and enjoy the really great moments again), and The Shape of Water (got a little dusty in the theater once or twice, what a superb movie), I've already 'spent' five times what my membership cost for the month. I'll probably catch a movie a week now in my spare time. Can't imagine this will keep up, at least in NYC, where movies are absurdly priced.

Archived