Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

1 hour ago, briantw said:

If it's from the Gomorrah people, I will probably check it out.  Gomorrah is one of the best shows on TV right now, and it did nothing to dissuade me of that opinion in season three.

Next up for me as far as foreign dramas go is Suburra, though.

For some reason this projected more of the feel of Narcos than of Gomorrah -- which isn't a criticism.  It comes a lot from the look of the Commissario, I think?  I was really put off balance by the Creedence Clearwater I Ain't No Fortunate Son soundtrack throughout that sequence, particularly with the RAI bug up in the corner!  I never thought of Creedence having popularity or, ahem, street credence, in Sicily -- particularly in 1976, their peak having quite passed by then.

43 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

If you liked Gomorra I suggest Romanzo Criminale la serie. Binged it a while back and it was fucking superb. Different vibe from Gomorra but still awesome. 

Have you seen the film? Very good but it drags a little in the second half.

5 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

I haven’t seen it. I guess I should have realized there was a movie. All these Italian series seem to have a movie of the same name lol.

It's a 2005 film. I haven't seen the series yet. Looks like I have a few Italian series to catch up on.

12 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

You like The Cloverfield Paradox? I thought it started out good and had some interesting ideas, but it didn't really deliver and I was bored by the end.

12 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Cloverfield Paradox was a bit of a mess, but it was entertaining enough. It gets automatic points from me for having Gugu Mbatha-Raw in the lead role. :wub:

I liked it well enough, in that it was definitely entertaining and that I didn't feel like I wasted my time by watching it.  It did have some similarities to that terrible movie - Life - now that was a waste of time.

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I didn't know it was based on anything. I was gonna watch it tonight but would rather read the book before I view it instead(which works out perfectly as I was looking for something to read). 

The two are quite different from each other, some good changes some bad.  The biggest was the atmosphere of the movie does not feel nearly as oppressive as the book's did.  Solid adaptation of one of my favorite horror books though.

38 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I liked it well enough, in that it was definitely entertaining and that I didn't feel like I wasted my time by watching it.  It did have some similarities to that terrible movie - Life - now that was a waste of time.

100% agree with this sentiment.

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

That opening scene... :bowdown:

It's one of the best I've seen, and does a perfect job of framing what is to come. 

Also, Claudia Cardinale might be the most beautiful woman I've ever seen.  

4 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

THAT'S AWERSOME!

Seriously, cool man. How's the movie though? Don't fuck with me, I only have so much time to spend on watching J.J. Abrams considering that I do not sleep or rest.

I hope the last bit is just tongue in cheek. The Jace needs her beauty sleep.

The movie is a mess, but if you don't care about continuity then it's alright. My cousin said a lot of people at Bad Robot aren't that high on it, but they expect the next one will be really good. If you liked the first two, which I did, I'd say it's worth a watch. 

Watched Godless on Netflix...decent enough show, and it's a limited series so it's likely all wrapped up. Some interesting characters but overall material seemed thin if that makes any sense.

Spoiler

I thought going into it that it was primarily about the women of La Belle only to find out they are basically innocent bystanders and fill in material, IMO. You could basically have done away with 2-3 episodes about the town and still told the same story. Maybe I am being harsh but it just seemed like it was billed as a story about the women surviving the mining accident and them taking on the bad guys when in the end, the two men come in the nick of time. Now i will say they did have the women killing and dying to defend themselves which is better than how they are normally portrayed. And why did Blackton even exist? Just for that shoot out scene and to show "Whitey" (i mean seriously, a character named Whitey???) trying to court a black girl???? To me this was just fucking stupid. I did love how they killed Whitey though, I mean he calmly does his gun spinning then opens the door and thump, he's gone.

Also started The Last Kingdom... I have watched Vikings so it's a little confusing to me right now, I keep trying to make these characters fit the ones in my head already.

Tried a few more Penny Dreadful episodes, just can't get into it. I find myself looking at my phone a lot while it's on.

6 hours ago, briantw said:

If it's from the Gomorrah people, I will probably check it out.  Gomorrah is one of the best shows on TV right now, and it did nothing to dissuade me of that opinion in season three.

Next up for me as far as foreign dramas go is Suburra, though.

The movie is also really good if you haven’t seen it. I’d rank them:

Gomorrah tv series>Suburra film>Suburra>tv series>Gomorrah film. 

On 2/11/2018 at 11:08 AM, briantw said:

I had to download the English subtitles separately and just used VLC to play it with them.  Various redditors have done a great job of doing the subtitles themselves for at least half the season.  

Outside of a handful of lines where the translation is a little iffy, they've been great.

On 2/11/2018 at 1:39 PM, Lady with Ink said:

Look for Snowhiter, who has provided every episode with hard-coded subtitles.

Thanks. I've seen spoilers regarding who survives S3 in some post titles so I've been avoiding that subreddit like the plague.

48 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Gomorrah tv series>Suburra film>Suburra>tv series>Gomorrah film. 

Haven't finished the Suburra TV series yet but this sounds like the right order to me.

To The Ends Of The Earth was an ok period drama miniseries on Netflix, starring a very young Benedict Cumberbatch. 

Myths And Monsters is very enjoyable, and relatively short, documentary series.  Great art work, suitably dramatic narration and good editing between the academic commentators. 

I have very long flights approaching for our vacation trip.  I’m thinking of downloading the first two seasons of Gomorrah to watch during.  I really enjoyed the first two eps but put the show on the back-burner because I thought subtitles would be unfortunate on a big screen (too distracting from the visual), but I don’t mind them as much on my iPad. 

12 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Thanks. I've seen spoilers regarding who survives S3 in some post titles so I've been avoiding that subreddit like the plague.

Haven't finished the Suburra TV series yet but this sounds like the right order to me.

Snowhiter can be found on PB and there are no spoilers there. PM me if you have difficulty finding what you're looking for.

Last night I wanted to watch a TV movie that I've always liked, The Lost World, which came out in the late 90's or early 00's. Unfortunately, I rented the 1960 version. I figured I'd give it a go, why waste $4. After about 45 minutes I decided that wasting the $4 was worth it to spare myself anymore pain.

I love dinosaurs, so naturally I like dinosaur movies, and I'm usually willing to give them some leeway in how they depict them, especially given the age of the film. But good god that was offensive to the soul. They literally taped spikes to lizards and just did super close ups on the worst sets ever. I think in one shot they got two iguanas to fight by placing a bug in between them. It was that bad. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Last night I wanted to watch a TV movie that I've always liked, The Lost World, which came out in the late 90's or early 00's. Unfortunately, I rented the 1960 version. I figured I'd give it a go, why waste $4. After about 45 minutes I decided that wasting the $4 was worth it to spare myself anymore pain.

I love dinosaurs, so naturally I like dinosaur movies, and I'm usually willing to give them some leeway in how they depict them, especially given the age of the film. But good god that was offensive to the soul. They literally taped spikes to lizards and just did super close ups on the worst sets ever. I think in one shot they got two iguanas to fight by placing a bug in between them. It was that bad. 

I knew you belonged in a tree.

Just got around to watching Wonder Woman on the HBO.  Thought it was fun, good stuff from the main characters, and nice twist for the climax I honestly didn't see coming.  Nothing special, and the first act is pretty ridiculous, compounded by excessive exposition of the ridiculous backstory, but pretty much exactly what I expected.

Black Mirror S4
This was probably the most disappointing season of the series for me overall. Half of the episodes (Crocodile, Arkangel, and Metalhead) had me actually bored. As a Star Trek fan I loved the season opener with "U.S.S. Callister," probably my favorite episode of the season. "Hang the DJ" was interesting and had great performances, but lacked a certain gravitas that it needed to be something as great as "San Junipero" from S3. And "Black Museum" felt like something that'd be a series finale; I'm not sure if like how it tried to weave together the "Black Mirror Universe" or not. I liked that it was previously sort of vague if these stories were connected.

A.P. Bio
I often don't find shows/films about teaching very entertaining and usually avoid them. They're often wildly unrealistic and frustrating for me to watch as teachers are either portrayed as selfish and incompetent for laughs or superhuman in their capacity for selflessness and devotion for those drama feels. However, I watched the first three episodes of A.P. Bio and the overall blatant absurdity of the premise (a disgraced former Harvard professor teaches one class--ONE--at his Mid-western hometown highschool) and the bombastic narcissism of Glenn Howerton's character (a version of Dennis from Always Sunny in Philadelphia that somehow taught at Harvard) coupled with a solid comedic supporting cast led by Patton Oswald had me laughing. Looks like 'm in the minority though as it's gotten poor marks from critics and in the ratings. I hope it can find an audience and at least make it through a whole season.

8 hours ago, dmc515 said:

Just got around to watching Wonder Woman on the HBO.  Thought it was fun, good stuff from the main characters, and nice twist for the climax I honestly didn't see coming.  Nothing special, and the first act is pretty ridiculous, compounded by excessive exposition of the ridiculous backstory, but pretty much exactly what I expected.

Because the twist was bullshit.

Archived