Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

14 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I knew you belonged in a tree.

Side by side with you.

13 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

@Tywin et al.

Cloverfield movie getting ripped by everyone else who watched it.

I ripped it too, as well as my cousin who is in the movie and works for Bad Robot.

I tried watching it again last night. I usually find that movies can get better on a second viewing. This one got a lot worse.

On a different note, is the original Westworld worth watching? I’m asking because I’m finally getting around to watching the HBO series.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

On a different note, is the original Westworld worth watching? I’m asking because I’m finally getting around to watching the HBO series.

It’s nowhere near as good as the show. I watched it after S1 and thought it felt a bit dated. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's a 1970s B movie, watch at your own risk.  If you have very low expectations it will probably entertain you and you can see the most basic skeleton of the show.

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yes, because Yul Brenner's the shit!

7 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Side by side with you.

I ripped it too, as well as my cousin who is in the movie and works for Bad Robot.

I tried watching it again last night. I usually find that movies can get better on a second viewing. This one got a lot worse.

WATCH WESTWORLD NOWWWWW

IT'S SOSOOOOOOO GUUUUD

JACE WILL WATCH WITH YOU!!!!!

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

It’s nowhere near as good as the show. I watched it after S1 and thought it felt a bit dated. 

Interesting, good to know. I figured it would be hard to portray the movie like the show over 40 years ago.

7 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It's a 1970s B movie, watch at your own risk.  If you have very low expectations it will probably entertain you and you can see the most basic skeleton of the show.

My wheelhouse baby!

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Yes, because Yul Brenner's the shit!

That would be the main reason I watch it. Loved him in The Ten Commandments. I also need to see the Magnificent Seven. 

46 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

WATCH WESTWORLD NOWWWWW

IT'S SOSOOOOOOO GUUUUD

JACE WILL WATCH WITH YOU!!!!!

Jace is making moves on Valentine's Day!

:P

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Interesting, good to know. I figured it would be hard to portray the movie like the show over 40 years ago.

My wheelhouse baby!

That would be the main reason I watch it. Loved him in The Ten Commandments. I also need to see the Magnificent Seven. 

Jace is making moves on Valentine's Day!

:P

Is it V day? How about that.

Seriously, I'll do a rewatch schedule with you on WW

It's my FAVORITE THING

15 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Is it V day? How about that.

Seriously, I'll do a rewatch schedule with you on WW

It's my FAVORITE THING

I wanted to watch the movie first, but I got home too late, so I watched episode 1 instead.

The opening scene had me hooked!

Doing a speed and skip rewatch of Star Trek: TNG, skimming/skipping the lousy episodes only spending full time on the ones I really like.

The comparison has been made before by others but it's just so apt and almost eerie to observe when keeping it in mind:

Wolf 359 for the Federation is the equivalent of 9/11 for the U.S.

For a show with a reputation built on "message" episodes and sci-fi plot lines analogous to current events it's spooky that "The Best of Both Worlds" episodes in particular and just the entire Borg story arcs and general feelings in the Federation in general they got so spot on when they weren't even trying to do it that time, when in fact it was done on the show a decade before 9/11 in reality.

Again, it wasn't planned to be this way, anything but planned really, but it's how it happened. Seasons 1 & 2 you had the Federation and Starfleet completely arrogant. So sure in their righteousness and evolved state that they could tackle any problems and difficulties they encountered and not only triumph but triumph while not compromising their ethics. They were so self-assured.

All the while you have these attacks along the neutral zone (while we had embassy bombings in the late 90's).

Then the U.S.S. Enterprise (by way of Q) encounters The Borg for the first time and only gets out of it by asking Q to get them out of there and there was some loss of crew for the encounter. But it was still kind of far off, at least a year and a half away by fastest warp. (in the real world, when the U.S.S. Cole is attacked can be kind of analogous.)

Then Wolf 359. It wasn't a surprise attack. Starfleet knew they were coming, but the sheer devastation and turmoil it caused no one was prepared for.

Then you get seasons of TNG and even heading into DS9 with a decidedly different Federation. They are shaken. Their confidence is gone. They start to get paranoid. There are witch hunts and attempted coups. Any subsequent conflict can no longer be measured simply by "we will do what is right" but now the risk and danger and how strong they are all come into question and sometimes decisions are made not because it's right but because it's what they feel they need to do to survive (Cardassian Border Treaty which leads to The Maquis).

This only gets worse as the Dominion War and the second Borg attack falls upon them, the tough decisions that must be made, at best it's a testing of their "perfect" society, at worst it's their annihilation, in the end it's a deconstruction and realignment of it.

Re-watching all this and thinking of politics/current events today...it's interesting.

On 2/13/2018 at 10:35 PM, dmc515 said:

Just got around to watching Wonder Woman on the HBO.  Thought it was fun, good stuff from the main characters, and nice twist for the climax I honestly didn't see coming.  Nothing special, and the first act is pretty ridiculous, compounded by excessive exposition of the ridiculous backstory, but pretty much exactly what I expected.

I watched it last night with my wife and feel the same.  It was good for what it was, but I feel that way about pretty much every superhero movie that's come out over the last decade except for Nolan's Batman films.  I really don't understand the extreme feelings people have (good & bad) around these films.  I seem to be able to enjoy all of them for what they are, entertaining action films, which WW hits on pretty nicely.

I will say that some of the CGI in it was pure crap.

43 minutes ago, aceluby said:

I watched it last night with my wife and feel the same.  It was good for what it was, but I feel that way about pretty much every superhero movie that's come out over the last decade except for Nolan's Batman films.  I really don't understand the extreme feelings people have (good & bad) around these films.  I seem to be able to enjoy all of them for what they are, entertaining action films, which WW hits on pretty nicely.

I will say that some of the CGI in it was pure crap.

Didn't know you got married. I remember talking to you in 2015 and 2016 and it was...different back then.

On 2/15/2018 at 4:20 PM, Pony Queen Jace said:

Never saw the movie, but the show is TOP SHELF awesomesauce.

Rented it last night. It's dope, especially if you like the look of movies from that era. 

On to episode 3 tonight! Will probably binge the rest tomorrow after skiing. 

Part of the fun of Westworld was watching it week-to-week for me, and seeing theories proposed and proved/disproved. I was a lot less perceptive than pretty much everyone else on the board but it still added to the experience for me

42 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Rented it last night. It's dope, especially if you like the look of movies from that era. 

On to episode 3 tonight! Will probably binge the rest tomorrow after skiing. 

Keep an eye out for a Yule Brynner 'easter egg' as you get toward the last few episodes.  

6 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Part of the fun of Westworld was watching it week-to-week for me, and seeing theories proposed and proved/disproved. I was a lot less perceptive than pretty much everyone else on the board but it still added to the experience for me

Yes, this board definitely made it more fun for me too. I feel like we covered every single thing there was to cover.

I watched a Norwegian movie called Thelma recently. It's a dark and moody slow-burner that's basically a modernized version of Carrie to some extent. It was solid but dragged at times. The lead actress(Eili Harboe) and the whole cast were great, and the cinematography of it was really impressive as everything in this film was absolutely beautiful. I'd recommend if you don't mind subtitles.

Archived