Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

Just finished S3 of Gomorrah and I’m totally gutted.  

I can’t believe they killed Ciro off. Not that he didn’t deserve it, but because Marco D'Amore was absolutely amazing throughout the series, and is going to be sorely missed. Whatever the Italian equivalent to Emmys are I hope he’s winning them, cause he sure as hell deserves it. I think Enzo is a good new character, but I’m not going to lie, I’m a little worried about S4 without either Ciro or Don Pietro. Who I think have given the strongest performances of the show so far. 

Overall another amazing season though, with episodes 3, 4, 11, & 12 being the standouts for me. Some great fist pumping moments for my girl Patriza, who I think it by far the most sympathetic character. God I loved the scene of her taking out Scianel!

I think I have to put this show in my top 10 at this point. There is just never a bad episode.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Part of the fun of Westworld was watching it week-to-week for me, and seeing theories proposed and proved/disproved. I was a lot less perceptive than pretty much everyone else on the board but it still added to the experience for me

Agree wholeheartedly, but this show in particular (which is easily my favorite show still airing) has me worrying about the effects of the interwebs:

“Reddit has already figured out the third episode twist, so we’re changing that right now,” co-creator Jonathan Nolan said during a Westworld panel at the 24th annual Paleyfest in LA this week.

“It’s annoying sometimes when people guess the twists and then blog about it, but the engagement is gratifying, on one level, because if someone guesses your twist, it means you’ve done an adequate job [of structuring the series]. “You can’t complain when people are that engaged. It’s very gratifying—but stop doing it, please.”

Strongly suspect he's half joking, but I do hope the inherent acute analysis doesn't change his - and Lisa Joy's - thought process.  Anyway, it's an interesting discussion topic.

9 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can’t believe they killed Ciro off. Not that he didn’t deserve it, but because Marco D'Amore was absolutely amazing throughout the series, and is going to be sorely missed. Whatever the Italian equivalent to Emmys are I hope he’s winning them, cause he sure as hell deserves it. I think Enzo is a good new character, but I’m not going to lie, I’m a little worried about S4 without either Ciro or Don Pietro. Who I think have given the strongest performances of the show so far. 

Overall another amazing season though, with episodes 3, 4, 11, & 12 being the standouts for me. Some great fist pumping moments for my girl Patriza, who I think it by far the most sympathetic character. God I loved the scene of her taking out Scianel!

I think I have to put this show in my top 10 at this point. There is just never a bad episode.

Damn, I gotta get on this soon(I didn't read the spoiler).

17 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Hide contents

Agree with all of that.  Another fantastic series of Gomorrah.  

Spoiler

I really appreciate that main characters aren't immortal on the show, though.  It reminds me a lot of The Wire in that way.  Not a lot of the criminals from the first season made it through to the end, and I think that makes it more realistic.  It also makes for an incredibly tense show.  In episode four, I thought for sure they were going to kill Gennaro.  It was actually kind of shocking when they didn't.  And the fact that they've killed kids on the show before actually added some drama to his kid being held hostage.  

Still watching Babylon Berlin and becoming more enthralled with every episode.  It takes a while because it isn't in your face, but it is supremely stylish.  There are so many small moments that are unlike any usual television, particularly not 'cop' television or movies, and they are adding up to be more than the sum of their parts.  As well, without changing any of the beats or emphasis of the events in Germany at the end of the 1920's -- and the larger world, particularly the Soviet Union -- that have disturbing ripples when looked at in the context of our own mid - to end second decade of the 21st century.

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I only just heard about this one, and it sounds intriguing.  

To circle back to upthread, the reviews of HBO's Here and Now are pretty terrible for an hour long HBO drama.  I haven't caught the first episode yet but am almost intrigued to see if it's really this bad now. 

Though netflix doesn't so designate, doesn't break the episodes into season 1 and season 2, the first two seasons are up there.

The third season is being written now, according to what I read this week on NY Magazine - Vulture.

I just finished Everything Sucks! on Netflix and it was so good. Set in the 90s it follows a bunch of high schoolers as they try to make a movie and figure shit out. The show was grounded in a level of empathy and the thugs that they were dealing with were real. Great great show.

Last night I watched the first five minutes of Black Lightning. I got as far as the bit where it's some sort of awards ceremony that looks/feels like a personality cult, and all the kids in the room stand up and shout something in unison. Then I went Aaaaaargh!!!  (but quietly, because I'm visiting family who were asleep upstairs), turned off and sat shuddering for a few seconds. 

Anyone else watched it? Was my initial reaction unfair?

Did anyone else catch the first episode of Here and Now on HBO? I hadn't planned on watching it but figured why not. It has a few interesting ideas but highly doubt I'll stick with it.

This show kinda reminds me of The Newsroom(I only got a few episodes in), where it takes itself way too seriously and just comes off as pretentious and annoying instead of witty. One scene in particular was cringy as hell and I almost turned it off there: 

Spoiler

The scene in the restaurant where the adopted brother and sister are joking with each other, and the coke dealer model dude looks on reacting to how outrageous and just incorrigible these two are!! Yeesh.

I'll see how the 2nd episode goes. Also, Rita Sue from Carnivàle made a brief appearance so that was cool.

Watched the first ep of Troy on the BBC. I am not sure how I feel about it really. I'm very familiar with the mythology but I'm still like WHAT EVEN IS THIS THO? I especially don't feel that fussed about Helen and Paris. I guess they are trying to do something new, something beyond instant starstruck love at first sight. Actually, now that I come to think about it I'm not that sold on judgement of Paris either. Bit of a budget version. Felt a bit...lightweight. 

I'm staying with it though.

34 minutes ago, Triskele said:

One thing that a lot of the negative reviews seemed to harp on was how it was indeed about this uber-progressive PacNW family with adopted kids from several backgrounds.  At least in one ep the show at least seemed to be quite self-aware on this point which makes me wonder why it's such an issue; maybe others cringed at the scene you reference.

Yeah, the banter just seemed so unnatural and forced in that scene... but harping on the fact that the family has adopted kids from different backgrounds is just silliness.

Spoiler

I liked the speech too, and Robbins did do a good job at conveying the hopelessness he(and many of us)is feeling right now. I also liked the supernatural elements(maybe?) thing. That can be interesting if they do it right. 

It was just one episode so I'll keep watching either way.

I saw The Shape of Water, which I thought was very good. Out of Gullermo Del Toro's films that I've seen I'd say it was closest to Pan's Labyrinth, although that has more comedy in it, it does have a few very funny moments in it. Sally Hawkins is great in the lead role, she does a great job of building a character without speaking. I think Michael Shannon may be getting a bit typecast, but he does make a perfect villain.

Watched Erased on Netflix. Ugh, don't bother. I had a little time to kill and it looked decent, it's from 2012. Ex CIA agent in Europe, daughter just came to live with him, he works for a large conglomerate now...and cue the action.

Spoiler

The problem is they never tell you why he left his family, unless it was just because he was CIA or he cheated with coworker. They never tell you why he can't return to the US. They never say why his daughter is suddenly shipped to him. The fact that he was CIA for 12 years and didn't realize that a shipping conglomurate would have no reason to have a small group of people doing nothing but finding ways to defeat security locks??!?!?!?!?! And after a coworker finds that the patents for the stuff they are defeating doesn't belong to the company he works for....and he shows up and entire office area is cleared out and he still doesn't put it together?       Just not a good movie in so many ways.

Best thing I can say about the movie is at least it wasn't two hours long.

10 hours ago, dog-days said:

Last night I watched the first five minutes of Black Lightning. I got as far as the bit where it's some sort of awards ceremony that looks/feels like a personality cult, and all the kids in the room stand up and shout something in unison. Then I went Aaaaaargh!!!  (but quietly, because I'm visiting family who were asleep upstairs), turned off and sat shuddering for a few seconds. 

Anyone else watched it? Was my initial reaction unfair?

Yes, I'm still watching it.  I personally rank it higher than the other DC-CW shows.  I like that it has a gritty realness to it.  Also, I like that it's geared toward a slightly older audience than the other DC-CW shows.  (My 10 y/o daughter and I enjoy watching Supergirl, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow together.  She's not allowed to watch Black Lightning, maybe in another 3~4 years.)

I can understand that you found that school assembly scene annoying, but please try one entire episode.  I think you will have a more positive opinion of it after that.

Archived