Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

17 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

Yes, I'm still watching it.  I personally rank it higher than the other DC-CW shows.  I like that it has a gritty realness to it.  Also, I like that it's geared toward a slightly older audience than the other DC-CW shows.  (My 10 y/o daughter and I enjoy watching Supergirl, Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow together.  She's not allowed to watch Black Lightning, maybe in another 3~4 years.)

I can understand that you found that school assembly scene annoying, but please try one entire episode.  I think you will have a more positive opinion of it after that.

Thanks, Teng Ai Hui. I'll give it another go - I do want to like it, though many more similar scenes would make that impossible. 

1 hour ago, Talleyrand said:

Finally got round to watching Quarry and loved it - the premise the setting the style and the characters just won me over - finished it in two sittings only to find out after it's been cancelled... so well shit.

Yup, still annoyed about this. Basically from what I read is that Cinemax wanted to go with more action-type shows instead, and they shopped Quarry around to other networks but to no avail.

On 2/18/2018 at 4:38 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Did anyone else catch the first episode of Here and Now on HBO? I hadn't planned on watching it but figured why not. It has a few interesting ideas but highly doubt I'll stick with it.

I'm with ya here... I'll probably stick with this because I tend to follow through on things I've started... but as even a flaming liberal like me, I find myself rolling my eyes at how many tropes they cramed into these episodes... we are two episodes in and I already know everything about every one of these characters...rather than allow them to develop they keep hitting us over the head with cultural banalities... and i truly can't stand Holly Hunter's character...

Ramon is by far the most likable, best written character... and the best thing this show has going for it.

On 2/12/2018 at 4:56 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

The two are quite different from each other, some good changes some bad.  The biggest was the atmosphere of the movie does not feel nearly as oppressive as the book's did.  Solid adaptation of one of my favorite horror books though.

So I finally watched the movie yesterday and I actually liked most of what they did differently from the book. The Ritual movie and book spoilers:

Spoiler

So I'm still trying to decide if I liked the third act of the book or not. The little woman with the hooves and the elders were all good and fine but Loki and his cohorts just seemed so out of place, and annoying(which they were supposed to be). It was kind of a letdown, I felt like Luke when he realized these guys are just losers. Which seems that's exactly what the author was going for but I was still kinda mehh on the whole thing. I did enjoy Luke and Loki's verbal battles though... but I understand the movies decision to have the village of weirdos instead of Blood Frenzy. Although I was still curious to see them portrayed on the big screen.

The movie adding the liquor store bit was a good decision too. It added a lot more tension and the scenes of Luke having those flashbacks in the woods were great. I liked both monsters also. They were different but both pretty freaky. 

Any other Adam Nevill books I should check out?

The Frankenstein Chronicles, London, 1827.  It's quite pleasant indeed to see Sean Bean on screen again.  There are some sly references to previous roles.  One in particular I noticed was musical -- there was a bar or two in an appropriate scene that referenced Aragorn.  First aired 2015 on ITV, Bean as associate producer of the first series/season.  Picked up in the US by A&E, now it's streaming on netflix.

Some characters from the period participate, which I'm rather skeptical about, particularly the deathbed William Blake and widow Mary Shelley's relationship -- since it was Mary Wollstoncraft, Mary Shelley's mother, who knew Blake; he illustrated one her books -- a book and with illustrations that fit right into the FC's milieu, so that does work, to have this page in the plot. Also Mary Shelley's dead husband, Percy Shelley, admired Blake muchly.  Boz/Dickens getting involved in such a grim and grisly case is easily believable -- except he was still a kid in 1827, not writing or working on a newspaper.  Still, I admit to a certain amount of satisfaction with a series that attempts to so seriously connect bloody butchery with London's literary scene. :cheers:

Lots of the filthy, grey, miserable kind of 19th c London mean streets we've all come to know via historic period television thrillers such Ripper Street, whether from the era of the Napoleonic Wars or that of the Afghanistan war or of the Boer Wars.

Watched Way of the Gun recently, I thought someone on here mentioned it recently, that opening scene was great, because it was totally unexpected. Rest of the movie was blah.

Watched Spotlight also and really enjoyed it, just so much wrong with the world. Quesiton in spoilers 

Spoiler

Did anyone else notice the scene in the pub when one of them goes there is a Penn St football game on and Joe P is on the screen. Was that a wink at that scandal or just coincidence? If it was a wink it was freaking great.

Also saw a few episodes from Spartacus, Cinemax version. I am only like 5 episodes in of a 4 season show, does it get better?

31 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Also saw a few episodes from Spartacus, Cinemax version. I am only like 5 episodes in of a 4 season show, does it get better?

Cinemax or Starz?  It does get better though I only watched 2 or 3 seasons (been a few years). The Machiavellian politics picks up and it does become unpredictable with character deaths. The general tone and gratuity doesn't change though so it will depend on your taste on the matter. I'd give it to the end of the season.

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Cinemax or Starz?  It does get better though I only watched 2 or 3 seasons (been a few years). The Machiavellian politics picks up and it does become unpredictable with character deaths. The general tone and gratuity doesn't change though so it will depend on your taste on the matter. I'd give it to the end of the season.

I guess it is Starz, I am watching on Netflix and couldn't remember. The blood and sex doesn't bother me as much as I haven't latched on to a character yet, none seem likeable to me, and the plot kind of sucks. I will give it a full season to see if I like it, thanks for responding.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

I guess it is Starz, I am watching on Netflix and couldn't remember. The blood and sex doesn't bother me as much as I haven't latched on to a character yet, none seem likeable to me, and the plot kind of sucks. I will give it a full season to see if I like it, thanks for responding.

It takes a while to really get going and the first episodes are really rough, but once it gets going it gets pretty damn good.

7 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

It takes a while to really get going and the first episodes are really rough, but once it gets going it gets pretty damn good.

It gets a LOT better after the first season.  When I first tried to watch it, I couldn't even get through the first episode.

Then I looked into the second one, and got interested.  Finally went back and watched the first season.That season still came off poorly, particularly those first episodes.

There's always The Crown....but that's a fairly specific taste, not everyone will be interested.

Recently watched The Dark Tower.  And What The Holy Fuck?  Why did they even bother? Other than having charismatic actors for the 3 leads, there is literally nothing to recommend this film either as an 'adaptation' of something something to do with King's book series or as a stand alone movie.  Good God!  

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

It gets a LOT better after the first season.  When I first tried to watch it, I couldn't even get through the first episode.

Then I looked into the second one, and got interested.  Finally went back and watched the first season.That season still came off poorly, particularly those first episodes.

I still consider the first episode of Spartacus one of the worst TV-episodes I have ever seen. I didn't really get into it until episode 5.

4 hours ago, Zorral said:

Completely disagree. I prefer S1 over the later seasons for two reasons, 1: Andy Whitfield was the better Spartacus. :( And 2:  

John Hannah’s 

Batiatus

I just got out of seeing Annihilation and thought it was very good. The whole cast was great and the ending was pretty wild and intense. This is one of those rare times that I prefer the movie to the book(s) as I struggled to even get through the first book(and don't remember a lot of it). The movie added a bunch of things that worked really well, and were pretty fucked up at the same time. I highly recommend.

Saw my first Marvel movie (Yes, I know) the other day: Iron Man. Seemed look a good starting point. I enjoyed it. The action was entertaining and Downey Jr. was good. And any movie with Jeff Bridges is a plus. Not sure what order I will go in from here. Seems like people online have a general order the franchise should be watched in. Maybe go with Thor or Captain America.

The first 5 episodes of Vikings have kept my attention. It's an easy show to watch right now. Fighting, backstabbing, etc. I'll keep watching. 

Finished the 5th season of The Americans 

This is the first season that felt like a drag to me. I'm glad this upcoming season will be the last one. The storyline with Pasha and his family was annoying, and seemed to go nowhere. Hopefully the Father Tim saga is now coming to an end. Can't stand that guy. The diary he wrote about Philip and Elizabeth about their parenting really annoyed me, even though some of the thoughts are understandable. The showdown with Stan and the Jennings is inevitable. I can almost see the ending with Philip and the kids staying in America, and Elizabeth going to Russia. Though I could be sold on Paige going to Russia with Elizabeth due to the closer bond they grew in S5 with the training and manipulation of Father T.

Archived