Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

16 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Saw my first Marvel movie (Yes, I know) the other day: Iron Man. Seemed look a good starting point. I enjoyed it. The action was entertaining and Downey Jr. was good. And any movie with Jeff Bridges is a plus. Not sure what order I will go in from here. Seems like people online have a general order the franchise should be watched in. Maybe go with Thor or Captain America.

This is a good order:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/watch-every-marvel-cinematic-universe-movie-in-the-right-order/17/

There are a few you don't need to bother with. Iron Man 3 comes to mind. Others can give their advice. 

Duncan Jones' (Moon, Source Code) Mute is available on Netflix today. After just watching it I'm still digesting it. I can't decide if the creepiness factor outweighs the heartwarming or vice - versa.

I can say Jones is one of the best atmospheric directors currently working.

Spoiler

Loved the Sam Rockwell (Bell) cameos and that this is set in the same universe as Moon.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is a good order:

https://www.cnet.com/pictures/watch-every-marvel-cinematic-universe-movie-in-the-right-order/17/

There are a few you don't need to bother with. Iron Man 3 comes to mind. Others can give their advice. 

Do you mean Iron Man 2?

Cause that I'd agree with. I never found Iron Man 2 terrible. For a movie to watch sitting at home on the couch it held my interest, it was just very mediocre.

I really liked Iron Man 3 though and thought it was a great coda for one of the characters after the first Avengers. 

1 hour ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

Saw my first Marvel movie (Yes, I know) the other day: Iron Man. Seemed look a good starting point. I enjoyed it. The action was entertaining and Downey Jr. was good. And any movie with Jeff Bridges is a plus. Not sure what order I will go in from here. Seems like people online have a general order the franchise should be watched in. Maybe go with Thor or Captain America.

Thor then Captain America or Captain America then Thor either way works and then The Avengers. 

I've still never seen Norton's Incredible Hulk and don't feel I need to.

16 minutes ago, drawkcabi said:

I've still never seen Norton's Incredible Hulk and don't feel I need to.

I don't think you're missing out on too much although it's not a bad film. It does feel a bit disconnected from the other Marvel films (and not just because of the Hulk recasting), other than the Tony Stark cameo it's not got much connection to the rest of them.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is a good order:

I don't think you really need to see either of the Iron Man sequels.  The only thing worthwhile in 2 is introducing Black Widow.  Thor 2 is pretty pedestrian and pointless as well.  Both Captain America sequels are essential.  You don't "need" to see Ant-Man at all - nor Dr. Strange or even Marvel's Spiderman for that matter - but they're all pretty fun.  Solid 7s.  Then again, I even like Incredible Hulk, so what do I know?

In terms of order, it's pretty straightforward until, well, now.  The timeline is starting to get seriously fucked up, but that's not really noticeable until Spiderman Homecoming.

Anyway, over the past week or so I've watched (mostly rewatched) four movies I feel like sounding off on, even if they rank from old to really old:

First, Pan's Labyrinth.  I don't know why I don't watch this movie more.  It is incredibly beautiful in every way, and might well rank in my all-time top 10.  I feel like it should be right up this board's alley too, because it's the quintessential "adult" fairy tale.  Even, I think it's the best fairy tale that's been told in a very long time, but I'm not an expert on them.  Anyway, I still haven't seen Shape of Water - but its reviews weirdly motivated me to see this again - and it gave me hope for Del Toro again whose been languishing for a decade.  Hope he got back to making something truly special.

Second, I watched Schindler's List.  I know, downer, but I don't think I've seen it since I was a teenager and Netflix guilted me into it.  As far as Holocaust movies go, I still prefer the Pianist (please refrain from the righteous indignation), but man, I'm glad I saw it again as an adult.  I've never been a huge fan of Spielberg, but the way he clearly poured his heart and soul into this and still managed sustain a stolid tone throughout is an experience.  The subtlety of Schindler's arc makes it timeless.

Third and Fourth, superhero movies!  Watched Justice League.  Really, really low expectations, but they have something with Gal Gadot.  It wasn't that bad.  The villain was horrid, sure, but so was Thor 2's.  In fact, I'd put the quality of the movie right about at Thor 2.  I didn't mind the first two acts with getting the band together and team building.  Other than Affleck, I thought everyone performed well with some very cheesy dialogue.  You could see Whedon trying to bring the fun, but you need more characterization to give that legitimacy.  Anyway, back to hating on Affleck, it was his (and Gadot's) responsibility to carry this movie, and he clearly doesn't care.  They need to drop him yesterday.

Finally, watched Thor: Ragnorok for the second time, first since seeing it in theaters in..November?  Whenever it came out.  When I saw it in theaters I was really drunk, and subsequently found it a little too ridiculous.  Watching it (relatively) sober, I thought it rivaled the first Guardians as the most fun, and funniest, Marvel movie.  I think that's entirely fucked of me:  the more sober I get, the more willing I am to have fun with a movie.  Clearly, this is more a comment on myself than the film.  Anyway, just like Westworld, my only complaint is I want more Tessa Thompson!

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

First, Pan's Labyrinth.  I don't know why I don't watch this movie more.  It is incredibly beautiful in every way, and might well rank in my all-time top 10.  I feel like it should be right up this board's alley too, because it's the quintessential "adult" fairy tale.  Even, I think it's the best fairy tale that's been told in a very long time, but I'm not an expert on them.  Anyway, I still haven't seen Shape of Water - but its reviews weirdly motivated me to see this again - and it gave me hope for Del Toro again whose been languishing for a decade.  Hope he got back to making something truly special.

Several years ago we had a thread about the best movies of the 2000 - 2010 decade and my top 3 were (in no order) Munich, Pan's Labyrinth and the Prestige. I haven't watched Pan's Labyrinth since my first viewing because of it's bitter sweetness and tragic tones (much like A Beautiful Life) which I find sorrily detrimental for it's artistry. It really should carry a better legacy than it has.

Edit: Along the same reasons, I've never seen Schindler's List though it's probably been on my "movies to watch" list longer than any other movie. I think in my personal career history, I don't won't want to watch movies I know for sure are going to be somewhat depressing and so I've got this mental dread with hitting Play on it.

11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Several years ago we had a thread about the best movies of the 2000 - 2010 decade and my top 3 were (in no order) Munich, Pan's Labyrinth and the Prestige. I haven't watched Pan's Labyrinth since my first viewing because of it's bitter sweetness and tragic tones (much like A Beautiful Life) which I find sorrily detrimental for it's artistry. It really should carry a better legacy than it has.

Wow.  Those are all exemplary films that deserve more praise.  In my spiel about Schindler's List, I almost mentioned that Munich is my favorite Spielberg film.  Prestige is undoubtedly the most underrated Nolan film.  And A Beautiful Life is appropriately, understatedly, titled.  Well marked.

21 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Wow.  Those are all exemplary films that deserve more praise.  In my spiel about Schindler's List, I almost mentioned that Munich is my favorite Spielberg film.  Prestige is undoubtedly the most underrated Nolan film.  And A Beautiful Life is appropriately, understatedly, titled.  Well marked.

Ninja! Just mentioned not having seen Schindler's List and reasons why in my edit above.

3 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

I watched Logan Lucky tonight. Really liked it. Very funny, and the heist was pretty cool. Folks here will definitely appreciate this scene, too... :lol:

That scene had me dying when I watched this a week or two ago.

I would recommend that Spielberg documentary (I mentioned earlier in the thread) as it goes into detail about what was important to him in those films, plus actors from the films discussing their experience of working with him.

Last night we watched Bushwick. What I would refer to as a 'Friday night film', ie slightly ridiculous which you don't need to give your full attention to. Ultimately I'm not sure what the point of making films like this is... They are mildly entertaining I guess. But if they'e trying to make a deeper point then I think they're wasting their time.

Our Cartoon President, Colbert's new show, is hilarious and uneasy to watch because it's all too real.  Watch it anyway.  At the same time it's all too kind to all of them, but I imagine trying to make a coherent narrative is impossible without some normal human empathy-like feelings.  The show's portrayal of Ted Cruz is not a slimey or cringey as reality.  "Ted Croooooooooooozz!!!"

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:37 AM, Zorral said:

It gets a LOT better after the first season.  When I first tried to watch it, I couldn't even get through the first episode.

Then I looked into the second one, and got interested.  Finally went back and watched the first season.That season still came off poorly, particularly those first episodes.

Ok, glad to know it wasn't just me. I finished S1 so I'll invest some time into S2

On 22/02/2018 at 7:20 PM, GallowKnight said:

I still consider the first episode of Spartacus one of the worst TV-episodes I have ever seen. I didn't really get into it until episode 5.

I agree about the first episode. It improved every episode after that until (probably) episode 5 after which it was excellent throughout.

I finally finished "McMafia". I really liked the first two episodes and the international aspect but found the lead to be really weak from a character point and partially down to the actor. By the end of it I couldn't help but think the show would have been much stronger if it had been about the antagonist who was a much more interesting and conflicting character and expertly played by the actor who could switch from deadly to sweet.

"Hard sun" was solid if not amazing. The ending at least followed through on the central premise - something that was a little too much in the background for most of the run. No idea if it'll get a second season but the ending at least promises they have to follow through on the central premise. My hope is they were trying to lure viewers in with the fairly standard police show (it's from the creators of "Luther" and could easily be a spin-off it's so similar) and the second season will get to what I feel is the more interesting aspect of a show billed as a pre-apocalyptic drama.

Need to try "Troy" as part of my BBC watching.

I went to a double billing of The Room and The Disaster Artist. It's been ages since I last went to the theatre, but this was totally worth it :D Franco really disappeared into Wiseau for me (or at least as far as possible for a human being to ape Wiseau). I know they changed the history quite a bit, but I didn't mind that much. I usually hate films glorifying Hollywood, but the dreams of Sestero and Wiseau just make you root for them, eventhough there are some really uncomfortable scenes in there. And The Room is always an experience, especially since it had been like two years since I last saw it.

Finished Babylon Berlin... it was weird... the politics, corruption and culture translate oddly...but I still liked it... 

We're onto the Frankenstein Chronicles... 6 episodes in... liking it so far...

The best things so far this year --IMO-- have been Counterpart, and the Alienist... The Magicians is still fun... I still dig the Path... Altered Carbon and Britannia were both fun watches...

On 2/20/2018 at 5:23 PM, Ramsay B. said:

So I finally watched the movie yesterday and I actually liked most of what they did differently from the book. The Ritual movie and book spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

So I'm still trying to decide if I liked the third act of the book or not. The little woman with the hooves and the elders were all good and fine but Loki and his cohorts just seemed so out of place, and annoying(which they were supposed to be). It was kind of a letdown, I felt like Luke when he realized these guys are just losers. Which seems that's exactly what the author was going for but I was still kinda mehh on the whole thing. I did enjoy Luke and Loki's verbal battles though... but I understand the movies decision to have the village of weirdos instead of Blood Frenzy. Although I was still curious to see them portrayed on the big screen.

The movie adding the liquor store bit was a good decision too. It added a lot more tension and the scenes of Luke having those flashbacks in the woods were great. I liked both monsters also. They were different but both pretty freaky. 

Any other Adam Nevill books I should check out?

I can't say I disliked any of the changes either.  The movie did take it down the route I expected it to go when I read the book several years ago though.  I've only read two of his other books (I typically only read horror in October + a couple of weeks and I usually try to stick to books with an Autumnal theme), but they were both excellent - Banquet for the Damned and No One Gets Out Alive.  

Archived