Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

5 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Has anybody watched Save Me yet?  Thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the usual lack of adherence to police procedures driving me crazy. 

Yeah, it was gripping enough that I've burned through all the episodes in a couple of days but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it overall. It's definitely very dark on reflection.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

I am finally getting around to watching the most recent season of Archer.  The first few episodes were just okay, but episode four was awesome.

Reveal hidden contents

Loved the twist with Krieger where he had been sabotaging the Nazi robotics program, and then the fucking robot Dobermans.  :lol:

Is it on Netflix again? I feel like the last season I watched was Vice.

5 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

The Looming Tower is both terrific, and heartbreaking... still haven't caught the first episodes of McMafia, and Shoot the Messenger...

I watched the premiere of McMafia. I like the premise, but the execution was a little sloppy. I rolled my eyes a few times and had a hard time believing some aspects of it. I'll stick it out for another episode or two to see if it improves. With the upcoming premieres for Spring, it may be something I come back to later, when I have more time.

Had a power outage last night so went and saw a couple movies.

Death Wish. Liked this a lot. Yes it's a shoot em up but it was an enjoyable shoot em up. Touched on a lot of hot topic items happening right now.

I wish we had stopped there, but the app said our power was still out so we saw another movie that I thought would be ok, it wasn't.

Red Sparrow. As I was watching this movie I kept thinking about that hot mess of a movie Showgirls. You had a high profile actress playing a sexual role, which was very different for them and sadly to say it came of equally horrible for Jennifer Lawrence. During the movie I was constantly wondering how much of it was left. Two sets of people got up and left, one set about halfway through and another set with only like ten minutes to go. Lawrence's acting IMO was never said to be great, but damn her face looked like she received botox shots, zero emotion came from her face. Some items in spoilers that stood out for me.

Spoiler

Ok, so I like sex scenes and nudity as much as the next person, but damn it felt forced and just unsexy and awkward.  

The damn couch sex scene, did they all forget she was wearing underwear and we are supposed to believe he got aroused in 5 seconds, and in her, through her visible underwear, and all done in 10 more seconds?

The scene where she is chastised for not letting herself be raped, is just stupid. It would have been so much better had she turned to the guy and said "yeah, why did YOU try to deny the state an asset like me?"

The guy torture scene made no sense at all. Why would the assassin guy have put himself in that situation if he planned to torture CIA guy? He wouldn't because the weapon he had was a killing one, not one to just knock you out, and how the hell did he get that rag in his mouth while holding the piano wire with both hands, are we to assume he put the rag in his mouth, then the wire around his mouth then took him to the table where the zip ties were all laid out?!?!!??!!?!  Just bad on so many levels.

The trailer teased a twist ending that will keep you guessing...really? Did no one else see that it was going to be him? I mean the damn trailer itself showed the mole alive and applauding her at a medal ceremony!!!!

I haven't been this disappointed in a movie going experience in a long time. I almost left early myself and I am a trooper, I'll stay to the bitter end! The only time I have ever walked out of a movie was the Psycho remake  with Vince Vaughn. WIll be interesting to see what anyone else thinks.

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

I watched the premiere of McMafia. I like the premise, but the execution was a little sloppy. I rolled my eyes a few times and had a hard time believing some aspects of it. I'll stick it out for another episode or two to see if it improves. With the upcoming premieres for Spring, it may be something I come back to later, when I have more time.

The first two episodes were the strongest I'm afraid. Episode 2 is pretty disturbing with a side-plot on human trafficking. The show would be much stronger if it's focus was on Vadim (the villain) as he has great screen presence and is a lot more complicated than the protagonist.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

The first two episodes were the strongest I'm afraid. Episode 2 is pretty disturbing with a side-plot on human trafficking. The show would be much stronger if it's focus was on Vadim (the villain) as he has great screen presence and is a lot more complicated than the protagonist.

Damn, if the first episode is one of the strongest, I may have to bail on this one. I felt the lead was weak and unbelievable, asw ere some other characters. Vadim was probably one of the better characters.

Spoiler

That ending of episode where Vadim talks about the Hall of Peace and Hall of War was terribly cringe-worthy. Other dialogues were pretty bad too. The McDonald's analogy?

I finally watched Animal Kingdom yesterday. I didn't know what I was missing. What a great movie.  The Cody's are one of the most dysfunctional and evil families I've come across in film (I know, based on a true story). Jacki Weaver and Ben Mendelsohn were phenomenal.

4 hours ago, Astromech said:

I finally watched Animal Kingdom yesterday. I didn't know what I was missing. What a great movie.  The Cody's are one of the most dysfunctional and evil families I've come across in film (I know, based on a true story). Jacki Weaver and Ben Mendelsohn were phenomenal.

:D One of my all-time favorites. 

53 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I've continued to watch Counterpart.  I think I'm just one episode behind, but I'm finding it quite boring.  Not sure if I'm going to continue.  

Too bad. It's my favorite show on TV right now. 

Watched the first few episodes of AP Bio.  It's all right.  If you like Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny, the show is basically him interacting with high school kids.  Glenn Howerton is great.  Patton Oswalt is typically funny in his role as well.  

Seems like one of those shows that could become really enjoyable over time.  Right now, it's merely solid.

Watched Good Time, staring Robert Pattinson. Really good movie overall, and he gave a great performance in it. Super tense, and unsettling crime drama about a guy trying to get the money to bail his mentally handicapped brother out of jail after a botched bank robbery. Some of the stuff that happens seemed a bit implausible, but I was so wrapped up in the movie I won’t knock it too much. If done right I really like these kinds of movies that take place over the course of one night. 

Watched John Wick on Friday night. It lived up to its reputation I guess, although I tried to know as little as possible about it before watching. My main feeling afterwards was wondering how much elastane his trousers contained because they certainly made no restrictions on his mobility. I was quite envious about that as I am currently having physio on a damaged adductor! 

Wind River and Bone Tomahawk.

Wind River was very good, straightforward but very good. The moody, lonely atmosphere with that isolated backdrop worked extremely well. The only issue was it reminded me a bit of a specific Longmire episode.

Bone Tomahawk, however, was mostly boring. It could have been at least 40 minutes shorter. I found myself watching the timer waiting for it to end. I'm a Western fan, but this one didn't work for me. Extremely gruesome scenes followed by long periods of walking and talking. This one reminded me of The 13th Warrior set in the West.

I have just watched Stardust with my daughters (9 and 12) and I must say that after more than ten years this movie hasn't aged a bit. Just pure entertainment. And boy, Claire Danes and Charlie Cox were so good in it, not to mention Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro. It's probably one of the rare examples of the adaptation being at least as good as the literary original (and I do love Gaiman's Stardust as well). My girls both loved it. And the older also read the book. Great movie.

1 hour ago, 3CityApache said:

I have just watched Stardust with my daughters (9 and 12) and I must say that after more than ten years this movie hasn't aged a bit. Just pure entertainment. And boy, Claire Danes and Charlie Cox were so good in it, not to mention Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro. It's probably one of the rare examples of the adaptation being at least as good as the literary original (and I do love Gaiman's Stardust as well). My girls both loved it. And the older also read the book. Great movie.

It really was enchanting.

Archived