Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

3 hours ago, Astromech said:

Wind River and Bone Tomahawk.

Wind River was very good, straightforward but very good. The moody, lonely atmosphere with that isolated backdrop worked extremely well. The only issue was it reminded me a bit of a specific Longmire episode.

Bone Tomahawk, however, was mostly boring. It could have been at least 40 minutes shorter. I founded myself watching the timer waiting for it to end. I'm a Western fan, but this one didn't work for me. Extremely gruesome scenes followed by long periods of walking and talking. This one reminded me of The 13th Warrior set in the West.

I just watched Wind River the other day, too.  I liked it.  It felt authentic enough.  It's quite reminiscent of where I grew up.  I know that place and I know those people, so to speak.

I watched Bone Tomahawk awhile back and, yep, it was just...dreck.

Lately, we've been keeping up with The Alienist, which is alright, and I am just starting the second season of The Frankenstein Chronicles.  I'll probably watch the rest of it.

4 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I have just watched Stardust with my daughters (9 and 12) and I must say that after more than ten years this movie hasn't aged a bit. Just pure entertainment. And boy, Claire Danes and Charlie Cox were so good in it, not to mention Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro. It's probably one of the rare examples of the adaptation being at least as good as the literary original (and I do love Gaiman's Stardust as well). My girls both loved it. And the older also read the book. Great movie.

Absolutely. Wonderful film and a rare example where I enjoy the film just as much if not more than the book - which is saying a lot coming from me!

I’m also doing a rewatch though in my case it’s Chocolat :) 

I watched Baby Driver. It could probably be accused of being style over substance, but it's such perfectly executed style that it's hard to care. There were some great car chases and the soundtrack is excellent.

Also finished watching the first season of The Good Place and started the second season. I think I understand now why the person who recommended it to me warned me not to read any spoilers.

I think the end of the first season has a very well executed plot twist. It did have enough foreshadowing that I had some suspicions that things weren't entirely as they seemed (Tehani never seemed entirely convincing as someone who would get into the Good Place), but didn't work out the full extent of it.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Absolutely. Wonderful film and a rare example where I enjoy the film just as much if not more than the book - which is saying a lot coming from me!

Stardust is a great film. I should probably read the book sometime.

In the spirit of Oscar night, I watched Three Billboards. Actually, I just heard all the buzz about it, read the description, thought it sounded interesting so I decided to watch.  Frances McDormand is badass. 

I was disappointed that we never found out who killed her daughter, but I guess that wasn't the point of the film. That's just the simple and basic Criminal Minds/Law and Order part of my brain not being satisfied. Dixon was despicable, yet hilarious, yet somewhat redeemable. Great film. I'd give it an 8.5

26 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

In the spirit of Oscar night, I watched Three Billboards. Actually, I just heard all the buzz about it, read the description, thought it sounded interesting so I decided to watch.  Frances McDormand is badass. 

Spoiler

My favorite part was when she confessed to Dixon that she burned down the police station and his reply is, "Well who the hell else woulda done it?"  :lol:

Saw Black Panther. I knew going in I was going to see a great movie, but it far exceeded my expectations. It's one of the best Marvel movies. It's a definite theater watch. 

On the TV front, Atlanta had fantastic premiere. Been greatly enjoying American Crime and the Alienist. Blasted through Altered Carbon. Also, just a few days until Jessica Jones drops.

1 hour ago, briantw said:
  Hide contents

My favorite part was when she confessed to Dixon that she burned down the police station and his reply is, "Well who the hell else woulda done it?"  :lol:

Spoiler

Yep, best line of the movie because you are set up to believe he is dim witted and wouldn't connect the dots and he's like, duh, of course it was you.

I really didn't care for the first episode of A.P. Bio, but the second was definitely better and 3 and 4 were excellent.

Homeland has been really good this season, and it's surprising how much it turned around after the terrible seasons three and four.

I've also been slowly working my way through I'm Dying Up Here which is excellent.  It's just way down on my dvr queue so I keep forgetting about it when newer stuff comes up.  Will probably finish it tonight (I'm on 8 of 10 right now).

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:
11 hours ago, 3CityApache said:

I have just watched Stardust with my daughters (9 and 12) and I must say that after more than ten years this movie hasn't aged a bit. Just pure entertainment. And boy, Claire Danes and Charlie Cox were so good in it, not to mention Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert De Niro. It's probably one of the rare examples of the adaptation being at least as good as the literary original (and I do love Gaiman's Stardust as well). My girls both loved it. And the older also read the book. Great movie.

One of those movies that is better than book for me too.  Such an excellent film.

Ive seen Alien Covenant and Red Sparrow this week, getting ready to watch Wind River tonight.

Covenant I'll probably need to rewatch due to missing portions of it. Red Sparrow was pretty fun, pretty much a political/espionage/suspense theme. Well acted with a cast many of you will recognize several leading actors in this.

Finally saw Personal Shopper, which has been on my to watch list for ages. A bit disappointing in terms of performance because I've seen Kristin Stewart do much better than this. I should have guessed earlier on that you were never going to receive a definitive answer to what was happening. It was mildly diverting I guess. Think I would have been let down if I'd paid to see it in the cinema. Oh and the keypad tones and message sent alerts. OH MY WORD. Such annoying sounds.

Got through quite a bit this weekend, as I had some necessary downtime.

Watched The House, which was pretty funny even though it was incredibly predictable.

Saw Annihilation in the theater and I felt the same about it as I did the book. Cool premise, but overall there seemed to be something missing.  Tagging in case of spoilers:

Spoiler

I thought the book did a MUCH better job of portraying the tumultuous marriage than the movie.  The affair seemed out of place and inconsistent with everything we saw before it.  I also hated how in-your-face the alien/duplicate aspect was.  I felt like the subtle way they handled it in the books was much better and left more mystery.

I did like how the animals were being affected and how the anomaly was changing the environment, and not that it was a portal to another planet.  I still have no idea why time works the way it does through the shimmer.  No real explanation or consistency to that aspect

Finished up Son's of Anarchy last night.  The last season was not very good, but still not as bad as Dexter though.  Well worth the ride though.

Also finished up the last ep of Black Mirror with my wife.  We agreed that this season was the weakest so far, but our favorite was the dating simulation one with Black Museum coming in 2nd.

Now to decide what's next.  I think I might buy S3 of Mr. Robot, or start Hell on Wheels.

I finally got around to watching Arrival. Great film. I was worried about how Chiang's story would be adapted but Heisserer and Villeneuve did an excellent job. Amy Adams was excellent as Louise Banks.

19 hours ago, williamjm said:

Also finished watching the first season of The Good Place and started the second season. I think I understand now why the person who recommended it to me warned me not to read any spoilers.

Reveal hidden contents

I think the end of the first season has a very well executed plot twist. It did have enough foreshadowing that I had some suspicions that things weren't entirely as they seemed (Tehani never seemed entirely convincing as someone who would get into the Good Place), but didn't work out the full extent of it.

Sounds like you are enjoying it. I know I was surprised by how much I got to like it by around the middle of season 1, at the beginning it was a lot of eye rolling from me thinking "What's so great about this show? It's just ok."

Spoiler

I also know that I went in taking the show at face value not thinking there would be twist. Yeah, things here and there didn't seem right but I wrote that off as plot holes or writers not thinking things all the way through. But I was wrong. If I went in knowing nothing except that there would be a twist, I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out. As it was, it caught me by surprise and I'm happy it did

I'm all caught up through season 2 and found that just as enjoyable as season 1. There's only 12 episodes in season 2 opposed to 13 episodes in season 1, so don't let that throw you if you continue on.

Sort of by accident* watched the first nine episodes of GLOW yesterday while off sick from work. I was a bit ehhh for the first ep but after that I just wanted to know where they were going with the story.

Also, half watched a few eps of Peaky Blinders whilst finishing a blog post. It's kind of interesting. I'll add it to the pile of shows I've started watching and am just not that bothered about whether I ever watch any of them again.

*thanks to Curzon Home Cinema having a malfunction and not letting me watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer, goddamn it.

Finally got around to watching Weeds, its ok, nothing special so far, but pretty easy watching while i've been off work on paternity leave.  I still have a huge crush on Mary Louise Parker from her West Wing days.

Also watched I, Tonya, which i found entertaining but can't for the life of me see where Alison Janney won the Oscar.  It was the character that was interesting, not the performance.

Other films i've watched recently, Thor Ragnarok (solid 7), Justice League (not good by any stretch, but not as bad as i feared), The Disaster Artist (nowhere near as good as the book, and i wasn't blown away by Franco's performance either). 

1 hour ago, Isis said:

*thanks to Curzon Home Cinema having a malfunction and not letting me watch The Killing of a Sacred Deer, goddamn it.

It's such a weird and mesmerizing movie, with one of the most chilling performances I've seen in quite some time. It stuck with me the first few days after I saw it. Interested to see what others here think.

8 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

It's such a weird and mesmerizing movie, with one of the most chilling performances I've seen in quite some time. It stuck with me the first few days after I saw it. Interested to see what others here think.

Gahhhhh. I missed it in the cinema and was it was the highlight of my bed-ridden day to see it was available on home cinema and then I couldn't purchase it because the website wouldn't let me log in arghhhhhh. I am going to watch it asap though. I mean, I could have just paid full price but what's the point of having a 15% discount if you don't use it (on principle)?!

Alien Covenant was just ok for me. Entertaining enough to not be a waste of two hours, but repetitive, as this franchise can be. Didn't buy the actors in their roles, especially Danny McBride, and the twist was obvious.

Question: was Netflix's The Defenders (2017) mini series a bottle series for between season 1 of Jessica Jones (2015) and Luke Cage (2016) and their second seasons going up this year?

(Admitting a fair amount of anticipation for both of these, particularly Jessica Jones availability tomorrow, International Woman's Day!)

Archived