Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

7 hours ago, Astromech said:

Alien Covenant was just ok for me. Entertaining enough to not be a waste of two hours, but repetitive, as this franchise can be. Didn't buy the actors in their roles, especially Danny McBride, and the twist was obvious.

I really like McBride, but he can only play one role: Danny McBride. It's why Eastbound & Down and Vice Principles were so great while some of his other projects have been less than I had hoped for. I am curious to see what he does with Halloween though. 

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am about to give the hottest take ever given in these movie threads. The last three movies I've watched are Three BillboardsLady Bird, and Wet Hot American Summer. I liked the last one the most.

:leaving:

I still have to see Lady Bird... but your subjective opinion is dead wrong. 

Danny McBride was the least of Alien Covenants problem. 

4 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

Wind River is worth a watch, though its not a feelz good flik, heavy, sobering subject matter.

Agreed... this flick was a pleasant surprise...

Right now Hulu has three really good shows running.... The Path, The Looming Tower, and Hard Sun...

Right now, we're really into Counterpart, The Alienist, & McMafia,... The Magicians is always fun... the Assassination of Gianni Versace is really well done... Biggie & Tupac is shaping up nicely

Homeland is a trainwreck this season... Bellvue is a real disappointment... Jury is still out on Shoot the Messenger...

14 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I'm continuing to watch Here and Now.  I wouldn't recommend it too highly, but I'm finding it intriguing.  

It's amazing though how little discussion of it there is online...like several sites that I regularly visit that talk about all kinds of TV have never mentioned it as far as I can tell which seems crazy for an hour long Sunday night HBO drama.  I suppose that's better than being Vinyl where people talk about how bad it is.

I’m a big fan of Alan Ball, at least for Six Feet Under and American Beauty, but I just can’t be bothered to try Here and Now. Doesn’t look interesting to me at all. 

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I am about to give the hottest take ever given in these movie threads. The last three movies I've watched are Three BillboardsLady Bird, and Wet Hot American Summer. I liked the last one the most.

:leaving:

Seems legit.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Watched Everything Sucks this week. Not the best High School series ever but not the worst either. It caught my attention enough that I finished it in two days.

Spoiler

Have to say they put those child actors in some pretty risque scenes that most movies and tv series wouldn't do, or I just am not thinking of. Liked most of the characters and with the exception of one kid they all did a good acting job, IMO.

Also watched Game Night at the movies this week. Good enough for a matinee, not good enough for full price movie! Typical expected situations and "twists" but still good for a few laughs.

4 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Well you can't argue with facts. :P

I had a snow day tonight so I just watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time since the theatres, and still love it. I attemped to watch The Lost City of Z but it froze up for whatever reason. I'm about to give it another go.

Anyone ever see Z for Zachariah? Was just curious to see if it's worth a watch.

I've been watching BBC's Fall of Troy:

My feelings so far:

Episode 1: Man this is dull. Will I even continue?

Episode 2: Oh this is a lot better. Lots of important characters are introduced, lots of things happening, we are seeing Agamemnon, Odysseus.

Episode 3: We're back to plodding storytelling and a great lack of interesting material again.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Season 3 of Hap and Leonard premiered last night. Nice start to the season. Hap and Leonard are in usual form.

It was so weird watching Purefoy in that right before watching Altered Carbon.  

44 minutes ago, briantw said:

It was so weird watching Purefoy in that right before watching Altered Carbon.  

Yeah, Altered Carbon was the last I saw him in before starting s3 of Hap and Leonard. I much prefer Purefoy as Hap Collins. 

23 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I still have to see Lady Bird... but your subjective opinion is dead wrong. 

See it. One thing that hurts it for me was the hype. It was over promised and under delivered, but that's in part to me hearing so many people say it was a perfect movie. 

Also, :spank:

Danny McBride was the least of Alien Covenants problem. 

I'm not saying that he was. It's just whenever you see him he's always play the same character, and while I really like it in some settings, it doesn't play well in others. 

13 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

The Lost City of Z

Do you know where it's available? I looked on On Demand, but you could only buy it. One of my cousins is a PA in Hollyweird and when I asked him to name one lesser known film from 2017 that I should see, he picked this one.

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Do you know where it's available? I looked on On Demand, but you could only buy it. One of my cousins is a PA in Hollyweird and when I asked him to name one lesser known film from 2017 that I should see, he picked this one.

It's on Amazon Prime if you have it. Been on my to watch list for some time now..

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

See it. One thing that hurts it for me was the hype. It was over promised and under delivered, but that's in part to me hearing so many people say it was a perfect movie. 

I plan on seeing Lady Bird soon, as I do love good coming-of-age movies.

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I usually just buy movies off of Itunes for my cloud(which makes it even weirder that it froze up). I started watching it last night but fell asleep like a half hour in. It wasn't boring I was just tired. I'll finish it tonight hopefully.

17 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Well you can't argue with facts. :P

I had a snow day tonight so I just watched Blade Runner 2049 for the first time since the theatres, and still love it. I attemped to watch The Lost City of Z but it froze up for whatever reason. I'm about to give it another go.

Anyone ever see Z for Zachariah? Was just curious to see if it's worth a watch.

Glad to hear that about BR2049. I saw it in IMAX3D in the theater and absolutely loved the look of it.  Roger Deakins deserved that Oscar so hard for this film. It wasn't just a "gimme" for his past work.

Z for Zachariah was just okay in my book. The cast is great, but the story didn't really live up to its potential. It was meh.

Archived