Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

Currently watching; iZombie Season 4 which is off to a good start. About to fire up one of either Sneaky Pete season 2 (this release totally snuck up on me! @RedEyedGhost @Astromech and others who recc’d season one, I don’t know if you realised season two was out yet but it is!) or Jessica Jones season 2

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

Purefoy's 100% badass with a huge swinging dick.

I love him in everything I have seen in him.  For some reason I have a hard time remembering his name and everytime I see him, all I can think of is his small role in A Knight's Tale.  "Take a knee"

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Currently watching; iZombie Season 4 which is off to a good start. About to fire up one of either Sneaky Pete season 2 (this release totally snuck up on me! @RedEyedGhost @Astromech and others who recc’d season one, I don’t know if you realised season two was out yet but it is!) or Jessica Jones season 2

You must have mistaken me for some other boarder who recommended Sneaky Pete. I've only read about recs on this board.

I enjoyed The Lost City of Z. Great story. It also reminded me I'm long overdue for a Raiders of the Lost Ark rewatch.

On 2018-03-08 at 4:03 PM, Astromech said:

Season 3 of Hap and Leonard premiered last night. Nice start to the season. Hap and Leonard are in usual form.

How the fuck did I not know that there's a show out there starring James Purefoy and Michael K. Williams?

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I think it will get the nod over JJ as first watched for me, with Love coming in third.  Too much good stuff has just been released, with little time for me to watch them.  Although I am free-ish on Sunday, I'll be able to binge something while doing my taxes... but I want to watch Black Panther on Sunday too.

5 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

How the fuck did I not know that there's a show out there starring James Purefoy and Michael K. Williams?

And it's already on season 3!  It's really good.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I just found out about it a couple months ago, and on this board, so clearly they haven't really been doing a bang-up job advertising the damn thing.

7 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I love him in everything I have seen in him.  For some reason I have a hard time remembering his name and everytime I see him, all I can think of is his small role in A Knight's Tale.  "Take a knee"

One of my favorite Purefoy roles was Solomon Kane. His performance elevates that movie way above the sum of its parts.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

I just found out about it a couple months ago, and on this board, so clearly they haven't really been doing a bang-up job advertising the damn thing.

I think I'm going to put all the blame on the board for not telling me about it sooner.

6 hours ago, Astromech said:

You must have mistaken me for some other boarder who recommended Sneaky Pete. I've only read about recs on this board.

I enjoyed The Lost City of Z. Great story. It also reminded me I'm long overdue for a Raiders of the Lost Ark rewatch.

My bad...though you should take this as an opportunity to go watch it ;) 

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

I think it will get the nod over JJ as first watched for me, with Love coming in third.  Too much good stuff has just been released, with little time for me to watch them.  Although I am free-ish on Sunday, I'll be able to binge something while doing my taxes... but I want to watch Black Panther on Sunday too.

And it's already on season 3!  It's really good.

Yes Sneaky Pete is just going to edge it for me too. I can’t binge watch at the minute and that is my preferred method for Marvel shows (otherwise I tend to get bored and drop them around Episode 5 :leaving: )

5 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Same boat. 2 episodes left of Altered Carbon but then my list of shows is long (and I didn't even finish Manhunt: Unabomber which was getting interesting). I think Sneaky Pete wins over JJ and Manhunter... and also want to see Lady Bird, Shape of Water and Black Panther before they leave theaters. And I know I'm going to love Wind River which is on netflix now. Way too much cinema to watch.

Jessica Jones's second season is much more interesting than the first one.  It has substituted depth for the suspense and terror of the Big Bad Kilgrave.  It's also like an origin story -- though not quite.  And there is a Big Bad, though its not immediately revealed, and it's really not what one suspects, though by the time it is revealed one has been provided with enough plausible clues to have suspicion. This arc is tightly and admirably plotted.  There are other story threads though that aren't quite so seamless or with outcomes that aren't so plausible.  Have three more episodes to go.  This is binge watching and I've never been compelled to do that before, except, maybe with The Last Kingdom -- and even then three eps in a row were the most I could handle.  IOW, this season of JJ moves very fast and keeps pulling the viewer along to the next thing.

11 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Hmm starting the first episode of Sneaky Pete but the Season 1 re-cap reminds me that there was a lot of plotlines I don't remember and seem to be important in S2. Not sure if I should do a S1 re-watch first..

Just finished S01E01 myself

I like it, but I've always been a fan of Gio whatever as an actor.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

Jessica Jones's second season is much more interesting than the first one.  It has substituted depth for the suspense and terror of the Big Bad Kilgrave.  It's also like an origin story -- though not quite.  And there is a Big Bad, though its not immediately revealed, and it's really not what one suspects, though by the time it is revealed one has been provided with enough plausible clues to have suspicion. This arc is tightly and admirably plotted.  There are other story threads though that aren't quite so seamless or with outcomes that aren't so plausible.  Have three more episodes to go.  This is binge watching and I've never been compelled to do that before, except, maybe with The Last Kingdom -- and even then three eps in a row were the most I could handle.  IOW, this season of JJ moves very fast and keeps pulling the viewer along to the next thing.

Second half I agree. The first half, though....

46 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Just finished S01E01 myself

I like it, but I've always been a fan of Gio whatever as an actor.

Just finished the first episode and they put a good punch in there. I couldn't remember how serious the show gets, but they definitely reminded me. I've also forgotten all of the plotlines involving each of the family members so really considering doing a S1 re-watch or finding a more detailed recap some where. Also forgot that Bryan Cranston, Graham Yost and Adam Arkin (for the season 2 opening at least) are all involved in the production of this show.

And yeah, Giovanni Ribisi should get more acclaim for this role. Amazon is absolutely terrible at marketing their shows.

I'm not even halfway through the first season and this 'Sneaky Pete' is some real shit. I feel so silly that I considered watching it a few weeks ago and just kinda shrugged at the title.

Bryan Cranston is doing some fucking incredible blend of Don Corleone and Al Capone and it is RIVETING. I doubted. I really did. I took a glance at the summary and thought 'eh, Cryanston doing the Gangster thing?'

I apologize. I'm gonna make like Anthony Hopkins and send this man a letter about how he's inspired me to perfect my craft.

That dude sent me into a goddamn emotional tailspin. This show is awesome! They don't subvert expectations, they ramp them into a confirmational orgasm of cinematic bliss.

I legit sat there spellbound as Cranston told a story that went on WAY too long for an outcome I'd sorta expected while constantly flicking my eyes to my computer clock because SNL was due to start at any moment.

But I dared not pause, because Cranston is a genius. And the people writing for him are brilliant beyond compare. Imagine Tarantino letting a character own the room with a more subtle touch.

That's highest praise to both, of course. Tarantino uses tension and extended focus on a single subject to great effect, it's just interesting to see it happen in a more muted scene.

Archived