Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

2 hours ago, Risto said:

Watched new Lara Croft movie with Alicia Vikander. It was terrible. Words cant express how bad it was

The Jolie movies were godawful too.  Really, basically every video game to movie adaptation has been absolute shit.  I'm not even sure what the best one was because they've all been so awful.  Mortal Kombat maybe?  That was bad but at least had a fun cheese factor.

27 minutes ago, briantw said:

The Jolie movies were godawful too.  Really, basically every video game to movie adaptation has been absolute shit.  I'm not even sure what the best one was because they've all been so awful.  Mortal Kombat maybe?  That was bad but at least had a fun cheese factor.

I enjoyed Silent Hill and Resident Evil is hugely popular worldwide.  

Watched the last episode of the current season (fifth) of Endeavour last night. Now feeling bereft of hope. They are doing another season but it won't be out until next year. What will I do until then? :(

There's some really great performances in this show. A couple of scenes were in the finale were quite moving to me. It says a lot for Shaun Evans that he can hold up against the glorious Roger Allam. I just read an interview from the Radio Times where they discuss the concept of Endeavor --> Morse within the performance by Evans. They suggest it might just be because S5 had six episodes instead of the usual four, so it felt like there was room for more personal growth. I don't know. But it's bloody clever stuff.

Interview with the producer (spoilers for all five seasons so LOOK OUT)

Troy is up on netflix now.  So is lots of other stuff.  :D

Nor is this That Troy from England.  This is some preposterous mess that's really the Odyssey -- of which one is informed in the most tiny print for the subtitle, which one never saw until one quickly realized this was not That Troy, not the Iliad.  Not that it matters.  In this version in the third scene we learn that Helen was the wife of -- Agamemnon.  Ir a movie (2017), I think, that was so bad it never had a theatrical release.

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

This is disappointing.  I love adventure movies, and there have been far too few even adequate ones in recent years.  I was hoping this would scratch that itch.

It was... Vikander is not a bad actress, we all know that, but simply, the role was created having complete opposite of Jolie's Croft. This Lara Croft is essentially everything Jolie's isn't.

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Well, I got the tickets free, so why not use them... But, yeah... This has been terrible experience with a good laugh at the movie's expense. 

I saw Wind River. I liked it but I think my expectations were too high --especially with a certain shootout scene because right before, I had just re-watched a bunch of scenes from Heat (which is the highest bar for gunfights in cinema for me). Olsen's character was much better than Blunt's character in Sicario though. My mistake more than anything. I think the biggest thing that made the movie solid but not great was that (massive spoilers):

Spoiler

The movie just reveals the murder and rape during the flashback scene. There was no way to figure it out or follow any evidence, motive or logic that a combined Renner and Olsen might have applied to come to a conclusion. I thought they were flirting with that idea with Renner's hunting and tracking ability and with Olsen's crime scene questions.

And speaking of mistakes, I've been alternating between Season 2 Jessica Jones and scenes of S1 Sneaky Pete. I just cannot focus these days and I'm probably hurting my overall viewing experience. It will be even worse with March Madness starting up.

I finished watching the second season of Dirk Gently, which was good fun. The Wendimoor plot was a bit like the plot of the first season in that it started off seeming completely bizarre and random but by the end of the season everything was more or less explained. Perhaps I slightly prefer the plot of the first season, but the second season did a good job of expanding the cast. It's a shame that it seems there's not likely to be any more of it (unless Netflix decide to take over the show), it wasn't quite like anything else on television.

Have gotten half way through the first season of Taboo. 

There is going to be a second season, but not until next year. But it is definitive there will be one.  Several places have reported it in the last couple of days.

So far I'm quite liking Taboo, despite Oona Chaplin, an actor who grates on me no matter what she plays.  She won't be in season 2, thank goodness.

4 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Have gotten half way through the first season of Taboo. 

There is going to be a second season, but not until next year. But it is definitive there will be one.  Several places have reported it in the last couple of days.

So far I'm quite liking Taboo, despite Oona Chaplin, an actor who grates on me no matter what she plays.  She won't be in season 2, thank goodness.

Agreed.  I like Taboo well enough to check more of it out when it becomes available.  But, yeah, I'm not a big Oona Chaplin fan based on what I've seen her in.

Having read the synopsis and watched the spooky trailer,looks like my weekend binge is set.:D

Tabula Rasa, Netflix's latest exciting international acquisition, has a familiar recipe. The Flemish import has it all: a missing woman, a psychiatric ward, a spooky house, an obsession with numbers and maze-like patterns, and a single recurring special effect. In the case of Tabula Rasa, this special effect is the appearance of red dust — what looks like chili powder — in places where it shouldn't be.
"Welcome to the nuthouse," one character tells Annemie D'Haeze (Veerle Baetens) in the opening minutes of the show. The same character, a fellow patient named Vronsky (Peter Van De Begin), later quotes Marilyn Monroe and Morticia Addams. Tabula Rasa is keenly aware of its forebears.

The Shape of Water is now on demand. I know what I'm doing this weekend. :cool4:

Also, I think most of the major Oscar fimls are available now. Will have to go digging through to see some of the Best Pic noms that I haven't seen yet.

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Risto said:

Watched new Lara Croft movie with Alicia Vikander. It was terrible. Words cant express how bad it was

I see your Lara Croft and raise you The Hurricaine Heist! I had no plans to see this but my nephew asked to go. This thing is bad bad bad. One example and not in spoilers since I am the only one dumb enough to go see this garbage. There is a shoot out in a street in the hurricaine, there is literally a car blowing down the street from the winds, and yet the actors are still able to walk around, aim and shoot. There are so many bad scenes that I actually said are you shitting me out loud in the theatre.

7 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

All the talk of video game movies made me remember Advent Children. Think I'll watch that tonight. 

I read somewhere that someone is creating a Video Games Cinematic Universe with Croft, Hitman etc teaming up.

11 hours ago, dbunting said:

I see your Lara Croft and raise you The Hurricaine Heist! I had no plans to see this but my nephew asked to go. This thing is bad bad bad. One example and not in spoilers since I am the only one dumb enough to go see this garbage. There is a shoot out in a street in the hurricaine, there is literally a car blowing down the street from the winds, and yet the actors are still able to walk around, aim and shoot. There are so many bad scenes that I actually said are you shitting me out loud in the theatre.

You, sir, got an award "Uncle of the Year" :D 

On 3/14/2018 at 7:02 PM, Risto said:

I went to see it yesterday, and I agree. I actually walked out halfway thru it, so I don't know how it ended, nor do I care. Granted, I wasn't feeling that well, was in great need of sleep, so it was probably a mistake to go see it in the first place. The movie didn't grab me at all, and I decided not to torture myself further.

A bland, uninspired action movie simply set in an "exotic" location. There is a line in the film where Lara asks her "sidekick" where is your sense of adventure, but the whole movie had no sense of adventure and wonder.

I've never played any of the games, so I don't know if the movie ticks any boxes, but what gives a player the thrill when their character jumps over shit and avoids being crushed to death doesn't quite translate as well in a movie, if you can't really feel anything for the character.

13 hours ago, dbunting said:

I guess you aren't aware of Hollywood's Law of Mechanical Transformation, whereas a body, organic or inorganic, changes mass and center of gravity per requirements of the plot. :P 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

I went to see it yesterday, and I agree. I actually walked out halfway thru it, so I don't know how it ended, nor do I care. Granted, I wasn't feeling that well, was in great need of sleep, so it was probably a mistake to go see it in the first place. The movie didn't grab me at all, and I decided not to torture myself further.

A bland, uninspired action movie simply set in an "exotic" location. There is a line in the film where Lara asks her "sidekick" where is your sense of adventure, but the whole movie had no sense of adventure and wonder.

I've never played any of the games, so I don't know if the movie ticks any boxes, but what gives a player the thrill when their character jumps over shit and avoids being crushed to death doesn't quite translate as well in a movie, if you can't really feel anything for the character.

It must have been REALLY bad to walk out of a movie you're paying theater $$ to see, unless you personally have a super low tolerance for bad movies.

Archived