Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

Not wanting to play bumper cars on the highways on one of the biggest amateur nights of the year, it was a choice between watching Patriot's Day or The Space Between Us yesterday and I chose the latter, which was most assuredly a mistake. I have no idea how good or bad Patriot's Day is, but it can't be worse than The Space Between Us. The only positive spin I can put on it is the premise, Carla Gugino, Gary Oldman and some cool space shots. Boy was the execution terrible. I'm thinking this may have been a YA romance that was adapted to screen? Another take on the quirky, naïve, sick kid finding true love. All I can say in my defense is that fuck all was on tv late last night.

55 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It must have been REALLY bad to walk out of a movie you're paying theater $$ to see, unless you personally have a super low tolerance for bad movies.

No, I don't typically do this. I don't remember the last time I did this, maybe never. But as I said, I wasn't feeling that well, so that was enough to just quit this one. But the movie was terrible.

Also, it was the matinee, so I didn't lose that much money.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:33 PM, Tywin et al. said:

The Shape of Water is now on demand. I know what I'm doing this weekend. :cool4:

Also, I think most of the major Oscar fimls are available now. Will have to go digging through to see some of the Best Pic noms that I haven't seen yet.

Three Billboards was good. I rented Lady Bird OD, watched the first 5 minutes, and realized I just wanted to watch Lord of the Rings, so I did. Never finished Lady Bird. What a waste.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I guess you aren't aware of Hollywood's Law of Mechanical Transformation, whereas a body, organic or inorganic, changes mass and center of gravity per requirements of the plot. :P 

I think everyone on this board should go see this movie. There are so many spots that are so bad they are funny. I mean at one point there is a storm surge and within a minute or two of the surge happening, the lead guys brother is in a boat and finds him in the middle of town. Don't even get me started on the horrendous attempts at southern accents.

14 hours ago, Risto said:

You, sir, got an award "Uncle of the Year" :D 

Yeah, he is ADD/HD and a little off mentally, so the only movies he can watch without falling asleep are action ones like this. He owes me big time.

I saw The Shape Of Water, I, Tonya and Call Me By Your Name this weekend. I thought all three were good, but not great, and I doubt I’ll ever watch them again. Now having seen all of them, I think this year’s Best Picture nominees were general pretty weak IMO. Get Out was easily the best one. It’s the only one I’d want to watch again, and I think it was the deepest of all the films.

I watched Black Panther. I enjoyed it but it's hard for me to not like a Marvel movie as I was obsessed with the comics as a kid. Michael B Jordan was a good villain and thankfully better fleshed out than most of the other Marvel villains. Shuri was the surprise standout for me despite being a slightly cliched character. I was surprised with how full the theater was for a Sunday evening show and the spread on the audience demographic in both race and age. 

16 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Gonna start watching Sneaky Pete this week because all of the praise here. 

It's pretty good but falls a little short of great. I want to call it a cross between Ocean's 11 and Breaking Bad. The con stuff is pretty cool.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

I watched Black Panther. I enjoyed it but it's hard for me to not like a Marvel movie as I was obsessed with the comics as a kid. 

I feel mostly the same way, but Ghost Rider was one of my favorite comics growing up and those movies were absolute horseshit with NO redeeming qualities. I feel like even my 12 y/o self would have been disappointed with them. Although Thanos has been my main dude since Infinity Gauntlet so if they do him justice then I'll be ecstatic.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I feel mostly the same way, but Ghost Rider was one of my favorite comics growing up and those movies were absolute horseshit with NO redeeming qualities. I feel like even my 12 y/o self would have been disappointed with them. Although Thanos has been my main dude since Infinity Gauntlet so if they do him justice then I'll be ecstatic.

Yeah I should caveat that I meant the movies produced by Marvel Studios (i.e. falling under Kevin Feige).  

I finished the first, and hopefully not last, season of Showtime's The Chi. Very good series that follows a cast of characters in inner-city Chicago. Everything was pulled together nicely in the final two episodes and set up for a second season. Character development was probably the strongest aspect of the show. The pace was a bit slower with slight digressions from the central plot to give each character their own arc, but I only felt maybe two episodes at most had little going on. I'm hoping for at least another season.

So halfway through S2 of Sneaky Pete and… it’s leaning closer to Ocean’s 11 than anything else (there’s even a joke about it at some point). I’m still enjoying it but I do think the show tries to do too much, too quickly and could really benefit from slowing down and removing a couple of plot lines. Pretty sure some of the solutions the characters use to get themselves out of a precarious scenario don’t hold water… but you don’t bother to go back and look at it in closer detail because BAM – cut to the next scene, next situation and how is character F going to get out of this mess? And some of it is a little absurd.

S2E07 spoilers

Spoiler

The FBI partners are completely unnecessary to the story. First, they pop up in plain view of the public to talk to Marius and Maggie about going undercover against a powerful crime boss. Then they pop up magically in front of the entire heist crew and WEAKLY strongarm the team with no proof, no evidence and without even isolating one of them and taking them to an interrogation room. Am I supposed to take these agents seriously? And the backdrop of the whole thing is a direct Ocean’s 11 heist (or maybe Now You See Me though I never bothered to watch that movie because of the horrid reviews). The con / heist team even suddenly expands to like a dozen criminals. When did that happen? How much money is everyone getting because I hope it’s worth getting dissolved in a tub of acid by that guy who reminds me of John Malkovich from Rounders.

And the family plotlines.. well, I guess we’ve got to stay engaged with them somehow lest the show just be about Marius and his team instead. But some of it, like Audrey’s argument at dinner with her daughter feels manufactured. Like, jesus lady, you’re getting to see your only living child again before you go to jail for murder.. want to put some priorities and focus in place? And (real) Pete having dinner with his family and making a scene ; … someone explain to that dude that his whole family is going to die and he can see them in a couple of days and tell them the truth after they give the stolen money back.

I do like the show but I think Less could be More here.

I finished Luke Cage today, took me almost two weeks to watch it all. Just didn't hook me like some of the other have. Maybe it's because Luke is kinda like Superman but can't fly? I liked the two female leads, Misty and Dahlia, they played their roles really well. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have finished the season.

Started Iron Fist today, will see how this one goes. After that I will round it out with the Defenders and then S2 of Sneaky Pete.

5 hours ago, dbunting said:

I finished Luke Cage today, took me almost two weeks to watch it all. Just didn't hook me like some of the other have. Maybe it's because Luke is kinda like Superman but can't fly? I liked the two female leads, Misty and Dahlia, they played their roles really well. If it wasn't for them I probably wouldn't have finished the season.

Started Iron Fist today, will see how this one goes. After that I will round it out with the Defenders and then S2 of Sneaky Pete.

Main thing I loved about Luke Cage was how different it felt from the other Marvel shows, mostly due to the music and the cheese factor.

Archived