Watch, Watched, Watching: Britannia doesn't rule the waves

Veltigar

6 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

Finished Babylon Berlin... it was weird... the politics, corruption and culture translate oddly...but I still liked it... 

We're onto the Frankenstein Chronicles... 6 episodes in... liking it so far...

The best things so far this year --IMO-- have been Counterpart, and the Alienist... The Magicians is still fun... I still dig the Path... Altered Carbon and Britannia were both fun watches...

I stalled with BB at the episode

Spoiler

following Charlotte taken prisoner.  I just can't make myself watch this.  Please tell me under spoiler tags that she gets out of this OK?

I will see ep 6 of FC's first season tonight.  It has questions and subjects that one doesn't usually see in television series, not even earnest 19th Century dramas, though these sorts of questions and issues were central to so many people's lives then -- and FC isn't even located in the Victorian era -- 1827 is still the Georgian era, 12 years post Waterloo.

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I stalled with BB at the episode

Hide contents

following Charlotte taken prisoner.  I just can't make myself watch this.  Please tell me under spoiler tags that she gets out of this OK?

Spoiler

Yes... and then she drowns... is dead for several minutes, and gets saved..... just....yuck... I think I tolerated some of the bad writing on this show more because it was foreign

Saw 500 Days of Summer earlier. It was enjoyable. JGL is pretty likable in everything I've seen him in. Deschanel's character annoyed me throughout, particularly in the last 30 minutes. She had her moments when she was likable, but I guess I've had one too many personal experiences with girls like her. I'll save that for the dating thread.

We're a handful of episodes into Hannibal. Pretty good stuff so far. I remember my good pal, @Nictarion heavily recommending it. 

The human body garden in episode 2 was insane. That took my breath away for a moment. Guess this wasn't much of a spoiler, but whatever.

3 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:
  Hide contents

Yes... and then she drowns... is dead for several minutes, and gets saved..... just....yuck... I think I tolerated some of the bad writing on this show more because it was foreign

Thank you darlin'!  Thank goodness for fast forward.  I just can't tolerate a lot of stuff on screen these days.

Spoiler

Also, what happened to Toni?

On February 24, 2018 at 1:50 PM, SpaceChampion said:

Our Cartoon President, Colbert's new show, is hilarious and uneasy to watch because it's all too real.  Watch it anyway.  At the same time it's all too kind to all of them, but I imagine trying to make a coherent narrative is impossible without some normal human empathy-like feelings.  The show's portrayal of Ted Cruz is not a slimey or cringey as reality.  "Ted Croooooooooooozz!!!"

I dont think I can bring myself to find humor over this administration. This is a tragedy unfolded weekly. And although I do enjoy Colbert, I just cant go there with this occupying regime.

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

Thank you darlin'!  Thank goodness for fast forward.  I just can't tolerate a lot of stuff on screen these days.

Hide contents

Also, what happened to Toni?

Spoiler

Nothing really... the Armenian uses her as leverage for Charlotte to keep her mouth shut about having been kidnapped

I watched Joy on Netflix recently, just kind of 'cause it was there. I really don't get why it got made, presumably at a reasonably significant cost given there were a few big stars in it. So Joy's a divorced mother who makes quite a lot of money selling stuff on tv? That's nice for her I suppose but it's not that interesting.

I'm debating going to see Black Panther. It seems to be getting a lot of positive attention but I've drawn the line on paying £10 a ticket to go and see Marvel films, most of which I come out thinking were mildly entertaining but not actually good, recently. The general consensus on here seems to be it's around top 5 for Marvel films which probably isn't enough to push me over the line into watching it in the cinema. 

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:
  Hide contents

Nothing really... the Armenian uses her as leverage for Charlotte to keep her mouth shut about having been kidnapped

Thanks!

Spoiler

The entire series I've been horribly anxious that Toni was going to be sold into sexual slavery by her oldest sister's horrible boyfriend.  He'd done it, in fact, but then the sisters' mother conveniently dies, and that whole arc just -- disappeared.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Thanks!

Hide contents

The entire series I've been horribly anxious that Toni was going to be sold into sexual slavery by her oldest sister's horrible boyfriend.  He'd done it, in fact, but then the sisters' mother conveniently dies, and that whole arc just -- disappeared.

Yeah... he needed an iron-pipe beating in the worst way

Oh... FYI... Liv Lisa fries (Charlotte) showed up on this season's Counterpart... she dances exactly the same....lol

1 minute ago, Martini Sigil said:

Yeah... he needed an iron-pipe beating in the worst way

Oh... FYI... Liv Lisa fries (Charlotte) showed up on this season's Counterpart... she dances exactly the same....lol

Well, I just watched two more episodes thanks to your information.  Have only 2 left.  I do like it immensely.  Still, really 

Spoiler

an assassin in the chandelier at a performance of Three-Penny Opera? One feels they all have watched Godfather III too many times.  And Gereon's morphine? cocaine? whatever habit?  That sort of thing, like plotting with plague infections for political reasons always puts me in a terrible state of anxiety watching.  I actually tried to skip over the infection of the tribe's animals in the first season of Ertugrul.  The time between the plot being laid and implemented and the animals beginning to die was many episodes, which slowed down my watching for a long time. I thought finally they'd forgotten all about that plot arc, but it did come back, though then treated relatively cursorily it seemed.

Solid viewing weekend for me. On Friday I watched a movie on Netflix called  Very Dark Times. It's a teen movie about an event going really bad and everything spirals out of control. I stopped on it cause it was on a few different lists of hidden gems from 2017. I'd say that it was just alright, but it's worth watching if you have Netflix and are drawn in by the premise.

@Pony Queen Jace, I binged Westworld after skiing and it was amazing. It truly was one of the better shows I've seen. The only issue for me is that I was really tired while watching most of the episodes so I'll have to rewatch it again before season two starts (when is that, btw?). 

Lastly, I saw Ex Machina. Really dug it, but again, watched it when I was really tired so I'm considering watching it again tonight while it's still available for rental. 

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Solid viewing weekend for me. On Friday I watched a movie on Netflix called  Very Dark Times. It's a teen movie about an event going really bad and everything spirals out of control. I stopped on it cause it was on a few different lists of hidden gems from 2017. I'd say that it was just alright, but it's worth watching if you have Netflix and are drawn in by the premise.

@Pony Queen Jace, I binged Westworld after skiing and it was amazing. It truly was one of the better shows I've seen. The only issue for me is that I was really tired while watching most of the episodes so I'll have to rewatch it again before season two starts (when is that, btw?). 

Lastly, I saw Ex Machina. Really dug it, but again, watched it when I was really tired so I'm considering watching it again tonight while it's still available for rental. 

May?

I really enjoyed Annihilation. I'm a big fan of the books and Jeff Vandermeer more generally. Although it's a pretty loose adaption, it succeeds in capturing the themes of the books and the atmosphere of unsettling creepiness that Vandermeer is so great at evoking. And I really enjoyed some of the original ideas put in here, especially the scene with the bear. 

I'm surprised that this movie isn't getting more discussion here, given that we're on a sci-fi fantasy board! 

1 hour ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I really enjoyed Annihilation. I'm a big fan of the books and Jeff Vandermeer more generally. Although it's a pretty loose adaption, it succeeds in capturing the themes of the books and the atmosphere of unsettling creepiness that Vandermeer is so great at evoking. And I really enjoyed some of the original ideas put in here, especially the scene with the bear. 

I'm surprised that this movie isn't getting more discussion here, given that we're on a sci-fi fantasy board! 

I might go see that tonight.

5 hours ago, Caligula_K3 said:

I wrote about it a few pages back, and really enjoyed it also.

I finally watched What We Do in the Shadows and loved it. I've seen it get a lot of love here and deservingly so. Viago had me dying the whole time. Great flick.

38 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I finally watched What We Do in the Shadows and loved it. I've seen it get a lot of love here and deservingly so. Viago had me dying the whole time. Great flick.

Especially in telling his stories about the Beast.

Correction: Vladisav and his stories of the Beast were my favorite parts of the film.

Archived