The Most Important And Difficult Question Ever Asked!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Perhaps this belongs in the games section of the forum, but I figured it would get more eyeballs here. Anyways, here is the hypothetical scenario. You are standing in the middle of a giant field and you need to defend yourself. Here are your initial options:

• 50 Golden Eagles
  • 10 Crocodiles
  • 3 Kodiak Bears
  • 7 Bulls
  • 1 Hunter w/ a Shotgun and Unlimited Ammo
  • 15 Wolves
  • 10,000 Rats
  • 5 Gorillas
  • 4 Lions

You get to pick two of the options above to defend yourself. The rest are going to attack you all at once. So the most important question ever asked is simply who are you going with to defend you?

Personally I got the Hunter and the Rats.

GO!

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Defending you from what?

All the options you didn't pick.

8 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How is the shotgun loaded?

Infinite ammo style in some video games. It never needs to be reloaded. Just keep firing away.

2 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Will the two groups I pick to defend myself try to fight each other or do I have Beastmaster like control over them?  

Also, I am definitely a Beastmaster and feel like I should get to pick four to defend me instead of just two.

Sincerely, 

The Beastmaster

Yes to the first question, hell no to the second statement. That's heresy. Respect the game, Larry! 

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Perhaps this belongs in the games section of the forum, but I figured it would get more eyeballs here. Anyways, here is the hypothetical scenario. You are standing in the middle of a giant field and you need to defend yourself. Here are your initial options:

• 50 Golden Eagles
  • 10 Crocodiles
  • 3 Kodiak Bears
  • 7 Bulls
  • 1 Hunter w/ a Shotgun and Unlimited Ammo
  • 15 Wolves
  • 10,000 Rats
  • 5 Gorillas
  • 4 Lions

You get to pick two of the options above to defend yourself. The rest are going to attack you all at once. So the most important question ever asked is simply who are you going with to defend you?

Personally I got the Hunter and the Rats.

GO!

I think I'd go the same, because I think the hunter would scare a lot of the animals off, blasting away. I'd be most scared of the rats not turning from a shotgun blast, plus I think animals that didn't get turned away by the gun would turn when hundreds/thousands of rats started biting them.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

All the options you didn't pick.

Infinite ammo style in some video games. It never needs to be reloaded. Just keep firing away.

Yes to the first question, hell no to the second statement. That's heresy. Respect the game, Larry! 

The first question wasn't 'yes' or 'no' so I still don't understand.  I'll pick the 20 chimpanzees with a side of  25 wolverines option, thanks.

1 minute ago, polishgenius said:

10,000 rats, and I guess the 50 golden eagles on the basis that they're the only one of the other options that have any hope of on getting immediately swamped by my 10,000 rats.

It depends how close the hunter is, and how good he is, because otherwise it's an instant killshot, game over.

1 minute ago, mankytoes said:

It depends how close the hunter is, and how good he is, because otherwise it's an instant killshot, game over.

I'm banking on any shotgun far enough away to get a shot off before rats go yum-yum being too far away to get a one-shot kill, but I'm prepared to sacrifice some of my eagles as a screen if need be. 50 golden eagles is a lot.

12 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

10,000 rats, and I guess the 50 golden eagles on the basis that they're the only one of the other options that have any hope of on getting immediately swamped by my 10,000 rats.

This was what I would have picked if Tywin had answered my first question to my satisfaction, but until he does I'm being obstinate and making secret menu selections.

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'm banking on any shotgun far enough away to get a shot off before rats go yum-yum being too far away to get a one-shot kill, but I'm prepared to sacrifice some of my eagles as a screen if need be. 50 golden eagles is a lot.

A kodiak bear, even a dead one, would be a good cover. In fact, maybe I'll change my answer to the rats and the bears. I'll hide behind one bear, then underneath its' corpse when it dies (probably when the hunter shoots it) while the rats do their work.

Also, though, 10,000 rats isn't really a lot.  It you line them up in one big block it's only 100 wide and 100 rats deep.  I feel like if you had them swarm so they'd be effective, they'd take up so little of the field that you'd be overtaken by the sheer mass of the attacking animals.  They could realistically maybe frighten off the bulls or gorillas, but would have zero effect on the crocodiles.   If you spread them out they lose the swarm factor.  

I’d have to go with eagles and rats, or eagles and wolves, as overwhelming distraction is the only winning play here.  Though, while 10k rats sounds like a lot, its really only a couple hundred per attacker, and I doubt even all of them together could slow down 7 stampeding bulls.  

It’d be nice if I could direct my eagles to wrest the hunter’s shotgun away and bring it to me.  Also, I bet that 15 or 20 eagles could lift me off the ground.  

Is the goal to survive, or defeat the field?

I'm probably going eagles and crocodiles if the hunters gun is loaded with birdshot.  The crocodiles will form a circle around me while the eagles split into three groups:

The first will be twenty defending me, in a whirlwind they will fly tight flappy screechy circles around me.

The second will be a group of fifteen that attack the bulls and bears.

The third group of fifteen will attempt to overwhelm the hunter.

8 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Also, though, 10,000 rats isn't really a lot.  It you line them up in one big block it's only 100 wide and 100 rats deep.  I feel like if you had them swarm so they'd be effective, they'd take up so little of the field that you'd be overtaken by the sheer mass of the attacking animals.  They could realistically maybe frighten off the bulls or gorillas, but would have zero effect on the crocodiles.   If you spread them out they lose the swarm factor.  

A good point. 10K sounds like a lot but we'd probably need at least like 100K to be really effective.

So instead of the rats I'm thinking I'd go eagles and wolves. I'd have 2-3 eagles attack every animal and the wolves with cleanup duty on the ground after taking down the prime objective which is the hunter. Hopefully a few of the eagles dive bombing that rat swarm will break it up. 

That is enough rats to cover a circle with a diameter of 8 meters (if my approximations hold up). I'd need them on my side for the singe reason none of the others can stop them quickly enough.

Changing the golden eagles for cliff racers would seal the deal.

The shotgun won't help against most of the larger animals.

Probably the Bulls are the best bet. As meat-shields while the rats do their thing. That leaves the eagles though. Which remain difficult to deal with.

Funny, I believe 10,000 rats is a lot.

If you put the eagles aside you only have 45 large-ish animals. So each one of these has to deal with over 200 rats.

As long as you assume the rats are fearless they can at least neutralize any of the other options. I'm pretty certain 200+ rats can bring down a lion or a wolf at least. Probably the bulls and bears as well. The crocodiles and gorillas are more of a challenge: crocodiles basically have armor, and the gorillas can probably protect themselves rather efficiently thanks to their arms. And yet, conversely it's not certain the crocodiles or the gorillas will easily get rid of their 200+ rats...

So I think one simply HAS to take the rats because they would be too dangerous to fight against. The question then becomes: what is the ideal second option? I was originally tempted by the eagles, but on second thought, because the rats can't win on their own I might be tempted by serious hitting power. So either the hunter (very tempting) or the gorillas I guess...

Archived