Choose a father from every great family

Canon Claude

Eddard Stark- Really the only choice, but all his children turned out mostly alright and he was there and gave a damn. More than most fathers can say.

Stannis Baratheon- Oddly enough, I could see having a son changing him some. He'd at least be a dutiful father if nothing else.

Kevan Lannister- Seems like he'd be an absent father most of the time given he was always off doing Tywin's bidding, but he's smart, cunning and seemed to set his children up well.

Garlan Tyrell- He seems to be a well adjusted and balanced person with his own prospects and very little baggage attached.

Doran Martell- He took care of his children and provided as stable an environment as he could.

Hooster Tully- We really only have hearsay to go by what sort of father he was, but he seemed to care for his children and two out of three of them turned out alright.

Theon Greyjoy- Yes, he's the best. This family sucks.

7 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

Sansa??? I suppose she'd do better with her own kids, but the way she treats Robert Arryn irks me. There's not a drop of genuine affection there. I'd hate for someone to act towards my son like that. 

To be fair, Sweet Robin makes it very hard to like him in general. And Sansa's reserves for pity and empathy have been running low in general as well.

9 hours ago, The Sunland Lord said:

The less control freak the better. 

Probably Selwyn Tarth.

Most likely not someone narrow minded like Eddard or Stannis, and absolutely not a nutcase like Balon Greyjoy. That being said I can deal with people like Eddard or Stannis.

Oberyn? No thank you. 

Why  doesn't Oberyn appeal? I'm not trying to start an arguement I'm just curios; generally he's a fan favorite.

12 hours ago, Lady Dacey said:

Sansa??? I suppose she'd do better with her own kids, but the way she treats Robert Arryn irks me. There's not a drop of genuine affection there. I'd hate for someone to act towards my son like that. 

Well, the options weren't exactly great for the Starks.  I considered Catelyn a Tully, but even so would not have chosen her.  I believe Sansa would be very loving and caring to her own children while also providing discipline and being far less of a narcissistic and undermining person than Catelyn.  Would you take Arya or Lyanna over Sansa?

I'm going to throw Leyton Hightower's name in the hat. What little we know, it seems his children have turned out to be just fine. Lynesse is the big mystery in all of this (though I do have a theory on her), but she's the youngest of ten children. Baelor is according to Tyrion a knight of splendid repute and his three other sons seem dutiful, Alerie seems kind and well spoken, and she herself seems to have raised 4 good children.

Ned. His children were never in competition with each for affection or home. When the children think of Winterfell, it's home to them, not a prize to be won like Casterly Rock. Ned should have been less rigid in his honor, but I get where he was coming from, especially his concerns over the murder of children. 

Selwyn the Evenstar. Ultimately, he let Brienne be who she wanted to be. 

Rodrik Cassel. He very clearly loves his little Beth, which is why I hate the choice he was forced to make by Theon.

Rodrik the Reader. He's not Asha's father, but he really loves her, and that comes through really well in his interaction with her.

As far as mothers go, Alerie Hightower makes my list. 

Sybelle Glover who has been put in an impossible situation.

Alannys Greyjoy who has lost much and more. Part of me hopes that Sybelle Glover's children will help her heal a little.

I do want to give a shout out to both Val and Gilly who are taking care and loving babies that aren't their own. 

21 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Well, the options weren't exactly great for the Starks.  I considered Catelyn a Tully, but even so would not have chosen her.  I believe Sansa would be very loving and caring to her own children while also providing discipline and being far less of a narcissistic and undermining person than Catelyn.  Would you take Arya or Lyanna over Sansa?

We don't know much about Lyanna and Arya is still a child, but between her and Sansa I'd pick her. She'd be fiercely protective but also give children a lot of freedom I think. I was a child much like her and I think I'm a great mom :P

Archived