US Politics: Loyalty Oaths for Everyone!

Mexal

18 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Right, I mean, people acting outraged on Fox News is what they do.  They do it every day, regardless of what is happening.  Some scandals get mainstream traction, some get traction only on the right wing, and some get no traction anywhere and just disappear.  My suspicion is that Fox News will act like this is a big deal, but it doesn't really go anywhere else. 

I can’t believe Donald Trump is President, so i’m not real confident predicting how the US electorate will ‘react’ to this, but I personally expected much much more, ie something. I thought it would be a heavily slanted road to seem like something, but I did think we’d have to go to the effort of finding out/pointing out how slanted the road was to explain how ‘something’ was not as it was being shown. Or worst case, shit, there is something that’s going to fuck everything up all out of proportion. 

But...this? This is spectacularly nothing, and the Fox/Rove talking point gameplay kicking into gear only shows that it’s a day ending in Y. I truly thought there would at least seem to be a ‘there’ there. Now sixty-something percent of Minnesotans...or was it Minnesotan Trump voters...believe he’s doing a fantastic job, so who the fuck knows how this plays out. But the actual memo as revealed is superfluous, and we’d be in the same place doing the same things if it was a compilation of fondue recipes. 

18 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Nah, fuck Tiffany and Baron too. They have gorged on corrupt money. Let them feel just a small amount of the fear and insecurity that all these poor DACA kids have had to go through. The entire Trump infestation must be cleansed. Torn out, root and branch. Purged with fire, the Biblical cleanser. Spare none of them so that none may profit further from their monstrous father's crimes.

4 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

No one said murder, you precious pearl-clutching snowflake. I wish them misery and penury and relentless public shaming, and a nice long life to enjoy all of it.

I suppose burning them all wouldnt be murder from a certain point of view.  Or consider jace's comment about augustus.  A bunch of you guys are trying to out do either with threats of violence.

I do appreciate though your clarifying that you probably don't actually want them all incinerated.

Still, if Trump were only 10% the monster he's made out to be I'm sure most of the big talking Resistance LARPERs out there would stfu.

28 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

I can’t believe Donald Trump is President, so i’m not real confident predicting how the US electorate will ‘react’ to this, but I personally expected much much more, ie something. I thought it would be a heavily slanted road to seem like something, but I did think we’d have to go to the effort of finding out/pointing out how slanted the road was to explain how ‘something’ was not as it was being shown. Or worst case, shit, there is something that’s going to fuck everything up all out of proportion. 

But...this? This is spectacularly nothing, and the Fox/Rove talking point gameplay kicking into gear only shows that it’s a day ending in Y. I truly thought there would at least seem to be a ‘there’ there. Now sixty-something percent of Minnesotans...or was it Minnesotan Trump voters...believe he’s doing a fantastic job, so who the fuck knows how this plays out. But the actual memo as revealed is superfluous, and we’d be in the same place doing the same things if it was a compilation of fondue recipes. 

Watergate Fondue? Sounds delicious.

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

Look, I am just repeating their arguments, that doesn't mean I agree with them.

The Republicans released their memo without allowing the Democrats to release their rebuttal or allowing the FBI or Justice Department. The first side to get their information out in a dispute can win big! Not only did they get their side out first, they are repressing the other side!

This is not only about protecting Trump, this is about the mid-term elections. There will be people who will hear about the memo and lap up the storyline the WH is feeding them, and will ignore everything else that comes out later. They will never hear the Democratic rebuttal.

Did you see Trump's tweet from this morning? He basically said the entire leadership of both the FBI and the Justice Department are corrupt and need to be replaced. It doesn't matter if they are Republicans or if he appointed them, they have obviously been corrupted by Democrats and need to be replaced, presumably until you appoint Republicans uncorrupted by the Democrat deep state.

Oh. And the Dow Jones is down more than 500 points at the moment.

Look, I don't know what else to tell you other than, yes, I read the memo, and yes, I understand how the Republicans are trying to use it from an optics perspective. I have pointed out to you why the attempt is based on faulty reasoning given the material admissions of fact from the memo. I honestly don't think there's much more to say about this at this point, unless more information comes out. 

7 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

I suppose burning them all wouldnt be murder from a certain point of view.  Or consider jace's comment about augustus.  A bunch of you guys are trying to out do either with threats of violence.

I do appreciate though your clarifying that you probably don't actually want them all incinerated.

Still, if Trump were only 10% the monster he's made out to be I'm sure most of the big talking Resistance LARPERs out there would stfu.

So wait, you actually read that as Dante wants to literally burn the Trump family?

21 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Why don't you watch your fucking mouth when my name is on your tongue.

This shit's cute, it really is, but if your understanding of referred events ends with 'but Jace said not to let the nephews get away' then I understand why you're defending a moron with arguments a stupid person would find wanting.

Octavian should have died in poverty, exiled from Rome. That was the right thing to do for the Republic (same with Antony, really) but because it was controlled by Oligarchs who wanted to watch their own backs they didn't go all the way.

This isn't Rome, and Don Jr. doesn't have a room of masks. When the Russian money stops coming in those hotels are going to get bulldozed one by one as the American people extract the pound of flesh they deserve.

Anything else is just a bonus.

1 hour ago, denstorebog said:

As someone who spends way too much time on the sites frequented by these people (so the rest of you don't have to), this is flat out wrong. You right now have Gaetz on Fox News establishing in a thunderous voice that this memo is like the end station for Truth, that the whole riddle of what happened in 2016 is now solved, and that Pelosi and the Democrats have at long last been revealed as the masterminds behind everything from Russian hacking of democracy to polio.

The base doesn't need to understand half of what the document says. They just need to understand that there's a document, that the truth is now manifest, and that it confirms all their suspicions about the Deep State. The ground has been fertilized, now Trump can start firing people.

(Also, what Fragile Bird said. This is the Republican play for the midterms, and it may work out just splendidly. Depends on how explosive Mueller's actions later this year will be. Watch the GCB developments the coming week.)

You are saying Trump already owns them. If that is the case no memo was needed in the first place. Did the memo convince anyone not dousing their brains in Fox News?

1 hour ago, James Arryn said:

Yep, I agree.

56 minutes ago, aceluby said:

So wait, you actually read that as Dante wants to literally burn the Trump family?

When you are defending the indefensible (as is mcbigski's MO here) -- you have to go on attack for any perceived slight. It's the same grievance politics that Trump is aligned with.

The memo is the nothingburger almost everyone expected. It's an overhyped bit of Nunes nonsense that only sees the light of day because Fox News told Trump it was important and that's where Trump gets his information from.

The actual hopeful thing here is that while Republican State Media is doing it's best to make it a big deal, the actual news media does not seem to be biting.

23 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

You are saying Trump already owns them. If that is the case no memo was needed in the first place. Did the memo convince anyone not dousing their brains in Fox News?

Trump won't win by convincing more people at this point, because it'll never happen. He'll win by keeping the fire alive and convincing his existing supporters there's still an active enemy in the way of his agenda, threatening their culture and way of life, and if only his people will give him one more go at the ballot box, he'll hand them everyone's severed head on a platter. If he can't do that, fatigue sets in, even with the base. They might support him when Gallup calls, but not on election day when it's raining cats and dogs.

4 hours ago, Paladin of Ice said:

Good news everyone! We now have the first pro-disease Congress and Administration in history!

CDC to reduce efforts to stop overseas disease outbreaks by 80% due to lack of funding.

I've been trying to calm the rage this provokes ever since I first saw this. So far, nothing is working. It sure is a good thing Rupert Murdoch, Warren Buffet, and GE got their tax breaks though! Much better than any other uses that could have been put towards! :bang:

16 children died of flu today alone

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Look, I am just repeating their arguments, that doesn't mean I agree with them.

The Republicans released their memo without allowing the Democrats to release their rebuttal or allowing the FBI or Justice Department. The first side to get their information out in a dispute can win big! Not only did they get their side out first, they are repressing the other side!

This is not only about protecting Trump, this is about the mid-term elections. There will be people who will hear about the memo and lap up the storyline the WH is feeding them, and will ignore everything else that comes out later. They will never hear the Democratic rebuttal.

Did you see Trump's tweet from this morning? He basically said the entire leadership of both the FBI and the Justice Department are corrupt and need to be replaced. It doesn't matter if they are Republicans or if he appointed them, they have obviously been corrupted by Democrats and need to be replaced, presumably until you appoint Republicans uncorrupted by the Democrat deep state.

Oh. And the Dow Jones is down more than 500 points at the moment.

like others have said before, this is all beyond the point. the memo was principally meant to, and continue to do, is be some empty signifier for the chuds to pour their preformed notions into; its a rallying cry. they won’t read it or grasps its significance... fuck, even trump understand it.

My hot take: this memo won't affect Mueller's investigation, because it changes nothing in the big picture. 

It won't convince anyone except hardcore Trumpists (note: not all people who voted for Trump are hardcore Trumpists) of there being anything untoward about the investigation. 

In fact, it'll probably end up backfiring, because Nunes and House Republicans shot their wad and don't have anything left to use to discredit the investigation. Meanwhile, it has drawn more focus to Democrats' minority report, and Ryan is coming under pressure to remove Nunes from his chairmanship.

More importantly, it has turned the DOJ and FBI against the White House, and Mueller's investigation is starting to wrap up the key players, including Hope Hicks and Trump himself. Gates appears to be cooperating with Mueller, which means he's probably rolling over on Manafort, which will put pressure on Manafort to roll over on Trump.

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

Just now, The Great Unwashed said:

My hot take: <snip>

This whole thing is much ado about nothing.

I'll wait and see what the fallout it is over the next couple of weeks.

I hope there is no fallout, that no one resigns, but my expectation is Trump will make some heads roll.

And on another front, rounded up, the Dow fell 666 points today. :P

I liked the bit where the memo quotes that Steele  "was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected and was passionate about him not being president"  and uses that to say Steele was bias in preparing the dossier and that should have been considered when authorizing the wiretaps.    However, I took that quote more as Steele, after pulling together the dossier, had an informed idea of who and what Donald Trump actually is and based on those facts knew Trump shouldn't be president. 

Dow dropped 666 points today. Yes really. 

Dropped 600 points On the news that the economy added 200,000 jobs and wages were up.

turns out investors hate the idea of people being paid for their labor who woulda thunk it?

there are bubbles in the air, in the air 

there are bubbles in the air, there are bubbles in your hair, there are bubbles in the air, in the air.

The memo failed to live up to all the hype.  Who cares about Carter Page?  I don't think the FBI, DOJ, or Mueller has anything on Page, otherwise he'd be indicted by now along with Flynn, Manafort, Gates, and Papadopoulos.  With Mueller in the process of trying to schedule an interview with Trump, the investigation is likely approaching its conclusion.

The main purpose of the memo was to attempt to discredit the Russian investigation and to lay the groundwork for firing Rosenstein if necessary.  If Mueller continues to press Trump for an in-person interview and/or starts putting pressure on Trump Jr. or Kushner, I think Trump will fire Rosenstein in order to appoint someone that's willing to fire Mueller.  But that would be a last resort.  Obviously, Trump is hoping that he can just sit pat and weather the storm, but it's clear that he's worried enough that he's taking steps to end the investigation.

The Steele dossier still remains a disappointment.  Has anything of substance from the dossier that wasn't already publicly known been confirmed?  As far as I know, it's generated nothing usable against Trump.  And now it's being used by Trump and his supporters as a way to discredit the Russian investigation.  So far, none of the indictments appears to be relying on anything from the dossier.  We'll see if anyone else is indicted by Mueller, and whether the charges have anything to do with any of the allegations made in the dossier, but I'm doubtful that anything will ever come of the dossier.

34 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Dow dropped 666 points today. Yes really. 

Dropped 600 points On the news that the economy added 200,000 jobs and wages were up.

turns out investors hate the idea of people being paid for their labor who woulda thunk it?

there are bubbles in the air, in the air 

there are bubbles in the air, there are bubbles in your hair, there are bubbles in the air, in the air.

Given that the market has been going Bull for months , there had to be a drop and correction sooner tor later.  It might drop some more and  ultimately , rebound .

At the moment I'm assuming that the market drop is the result of profit taking that people have been waiting for ever since Trump was elected. The market has been pushed up despite some worries about the underlying systemic conditions on little more than a hope and a prayer, (and the expectation of tax cuts and maybe an infrastructure plan) ever since Trump was elected. Now people are starting to cash in before it drops and they lose a few pennies on the dollar because of it.

Of course, only time will tell.

2 hours ago, mcbigski said:

Your concern trolling on behalf of the poor Trump family is duly noted. We can always rely on you to defend the relentlessly corrupt against hyperbolic Classical allusions. 

Archived