US Politics: Loyalty Oaths for Everyone!

Mexal

2 minutes ago, Mexal said:

What a surprise. Peter Strozk is a terribly incompetent ring leader of the "secret society" to destroy Trump.

We already knew that. They were hammering him for suggesting changing 'negligent' to 'careless' right?

7 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

We already knew that. They were hammering him for suggesting changing 'negligent' to 'careless' right?

No. This is saying that Strzok helped write the letter to Congress re-opening the Clinton investigation. You know, the letter to Congress 11 days before the election that effectively helped tank the election for Clinton.

1 minute ago, Mexal said:

No. This is saying that Strzok helped write the letter to Congress re-opening the Clinton investigation. You know, the letter to Congress 11 days before the election that effectively helped tank the election for Clinton.

Oh, fake news man. They literally don't even acknowledge that shit.

25 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I think you mean that the election was rigged against His Most High Lord Drumpf because all of these fake voters voted. He won the popular vote. Also, not many people know this, but he also had the biggest electoral college victory of an Republican since Jesus Reagan. And a huge crowd came to his inauguration, something like 10,000,000 people more than came to all of Obama's combined.

The evidence is in the tax returns, which unfortunately - even though His Most Majestic Lord Drumpf wants to show them - can't be revealed as the IRS is auditing them, and probably will be for the next 500 years because there are more pages in them than all other tax returns ever. And the bigger the tax return, the bigger the penis. Fact.

Surprise, surprise.

Nunes and/or his staff coordinated with the White House while writing the sooper-sekret deep-state memo.

The transcript of the meeting, released the day after this story was initially published, shows Quigley asking “with the greatest respect” if the White House aided Nunes in any way, including consulting with him on the memo.

Nunes initially replied: “I would just answer, as far as I know, no.”

He continued, “And I would just also say that we are well aware the minority has not wanted to conduct this investigation by the public opposition to the subpoenas that we issued back in August that were clearly looking into matters of FISA [Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act] abuse and other matters.” Quigley asked Nunes if that meant “none of the staff members that worked for the majority had any consultation, communication at all with the White House?”Nunes shut Quigley down: “The chair is not going to entertain–” after which Quigley yielded.

Writing near the end of the 2016 primary season, when Trump’s ascent to the Republican nomination already looked unstoppable, Andrew Sullivan offered the most forceful distillation of this line of antidemocratic laments: “Democracies end when they are too democratic,” the headline of his essay announced. “And right now, America is a breeding ground for tyranny.”

The antidemocratic view gets at something real. What makes our political system uniquely legitimate, at least when it functions well, is that it manages to deliver on two key values at once: liberalism (the rule of law) and democracy (the rule of the people). With liberalism now under concerted attack from the Trump administration, which has declared war on independent institutions such as the FBI and has used the president’s pulpit to bully ethnic and religious minorities, it’s perhaps understandable that many thinkers are willing to give up a modicum of democracy to protect the rule of law and the country’s most vulnerable groups.

This antitechnocratic view has currency on both ends of the political spectrum. On the far left, the late political scientist Peter Mair, writing about Europe, lamented the decline in “popular” democracy, which he contrasted with a more top-down “constitutional” democracy. The English sociologist Colin Crouch has argued that even anarchy and violence can serve a useful purpose if they seek to vanquish what he calls “post-democracy.”

The far right puts more emphasis on nationalism, but otherwise agrees with this basic analysis. In the inaugural issue of the journal American Affairs, the self-styled intellectual home of the Trump movement, its founder Julius Krein decried “the existence of a transpartisan elite,” which sustains a pernicious “managerial consensus.” Steve Bannon, the former White House chief strategist, said his chief political objective was to return power to the people and advocated for the “deconstruction of the administrative state.

America Is Not a Democracy
How the United States lost the faith of its citizens—and what it can do to win them back

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/america-is-not-a-democracy/550931/

Republican legislative leaders asked Justice Samuel Alito, who reviews emergency appeals out of Pennsylvania, to block the decision. Because the Pennsylvania Supreme Court decision involved only state law, Alito should’ve denied the request outright. Instead, he has ordered voting rights advocates to respond, raising the real possibility that a majority of the justices will vote to halt the ruling. If they do, the intervention will mark an extraordinary expansion of the court’s power to prevent states from protecting their residents’ voting rights.

Crossing State Lines
The Supreme Court’s conservatives may be preparing an attack on states’ ability to combat partisan gerrymandering.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/01/justice-alito-prepares-an-attack-on-state-sovereignty-over-voting-rights.html

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

I was out all day and I have missed whatever it was that happened. :o

I assume it is still ok to discuss US Politics. Just don't do whatever it was you did in the last thread. Ok?

Ok so I'm not insane. I could have sworn there was another thread that was getting bum rushed by a troll a few hours ago when I was last on. I wish I could have seen where it ended because it was going off the rails fast.

And I may or may not have accused you of being the sock puppet. Suspicious that you were gone for the day. The plot thickens! 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Ok so I'm not insane. I could have sworn there was another thread that was getting bum rushed by a troll a few hours ago when I was last on. I wish I could have seen where it ended because it was going off the rails fast.

And I may or may not have accused you of being the sock puppet. Suspicious that you were gone for the day. The plot thickens! 

Yeah, I was talkin 'bout Sea Turtles and shit. It's all mixed up!

Archived