Why did Ramsey Bolton take the women and children of winterfell?

Varysblackfyre321

I don't really see the benifit of lugging them around; I mean ultimately they're witnesses to his (and likely Roose') crimes so why take them in? The Freys I understand; they could be ransomed and could give credence to the tale they want to tell but why a bunch of no named peasants who wouldn't be missed and would doubtless tell the truth if let out? Also, one thing that just dawned on me; Ramsey has big Walder specificly jot down he "saved"  the women and children. Perhaps this was part of a plan to make Ramsey look less like a monster; and by extension Roose for tolerating such a savage; I mean Roose did say to Catelyn  perhaps this thing make up for whatever crime Ramsey's bastard blood had made him commit(or not). Forgive me if this is a dumb question clearly answered in the text or a topic that's been thouroughly discussed to ad nauseam 

31 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I don't really see the benifit of lugging them around; I mean ultimately they're witnesses to his (and likely Roose') crimes so why take them in? The Freys I understand; they could be ransomed and could give credence to the tale they want to tell but why a bunch of no named peasants who wouldn't be missed and would doubtless tell the truth if let out? Forgive me if this is a dumb question clearly answered in the text or a topic that's been thouroughly discussed to ad nauseam 

The ones he fancies will become his prey, the others will be for flaying practice or something equally disturbing. He's a psycho, and he's not that smart. 

25 minutes ago, King Merrett I Frey said:

Do we know who else, apart from Nan and Beth Cassel (who are the first one that pop to mind), was lugged to Dreadfort?

If you check the appendix to AFFC under House Stark, it lists a few women who are “women of Winterfell held captive at the Dreadfort”. But who knows what has changed in the time between. 

Beth Cassell

Kyra

Turnip

Palla

Bandy

Shyra

Palla

Old Nan

Because he is sadistic, that's why.

But for me:

The sounds were growing louder. Please gods, he isn't coming for me, he prayed, tearing off one of the rat's legs. It had been a long time since anyone had come for him. There were other cells, other prisoners. Sometimes he heard them screaming, even through the thick stone walls. The women always scream the loudest. He sucked at the raw meat and tried to spit out the leg bone, but it only dribbled over his lower lip and tangled in his beard. Go away, he prayed, go away, pass me by, please, please.

Reek I

ADwD

I almost can't deal with that. I almost can't deal with the thought of what Rodrik's little girl may be going through...

1 hour ago, Lord Lannister said:

Because he's a sadistic bastard that gets off on tormenting people. Think of how many flayings, tortures and hunts he'd be giving up if he just killed them all at Winterfell.

But this isn't just Ramsey were talking about here; but Roose. I don't think he'd tack on such unneeded risk. Though he does indulge in his son's hobby. You know it just occurred to me the Boltons(well Roose), wants to craft a certian image of himself; could it be this was partly a publicity stunt meant to get people to ease off Ramsey and thus him? After all he saved the women and children of Winterfell to which are now being gracefully treated in his home. 

I mean they specificly mentioned in the letter(pinned by big Walder) Ramsey sends out to the Freys on what had happened in winterfel that the women and children were saved.

Why randomly add that tidbit of information?

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

The ones he fancies will become his prey, the others will be for flaying practice or something equally disturbing. He's a psycho, and he's not that smart. 

Thinking about Nan in the Dreadfort now acquires a new turn of disgusting and sad.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But this isn't just Ramsey were talking about here; but Roose. I don't think he'd tack on such unneeded risk.

Roose hasn't even been back to the Dreadfort since he went south. In all probability, Ramsay probably just killed the remaining prisoners or left them to die in the cells as he left. The only prisoners he wanted alive were the Frey boys and they marched to Barrowton with him.

2 minutes ago, Universal Sword Donor said:

Roose hasn't even been back to the Dreadfort since he went south. In all probability, Ramsay probably just killed the remaining prisoners or left them to die in the cells as he left. The only prisoners he wanted alive were the Frey boys and they marched to Barrowton with him.

Couldnt a raven just be sent? I mean I don't think the men of the dreadfort would march with Ramsey without Roose's explicit say so.

16 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

He is a sociopath and though a monster he's shown to be an intelligent one albeit impatient one; his performance as Reek show that no?

25 minutes ago, Vaedys Targaryen said:

Because he is sadistic, that's why.

But for me:

I almost can't deal with that. I almost can't deal with the thought of what Rodrik's little girl may be going through...

That’s awful. Damn. The twistedness just got a lot deeper. 

17 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

He is a sociopath and though a monster he's shown to be an intelligent one albeit impatient one; his performance as Reek show that no?

I don't think so... he is cunning, a sort of low cunning as Tywin would say, but he is not intelligent imo.

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I don't really see the benifit of lugging them around; I mean ultimately they're witnesses to his (and likely Roose') crimes so why take them in? The Freys I understand; they could be ransomed and could give credence to the tale they want to tell but why a bunch of no named peasants who wouldn't be missed and would doubtless tell the truth if let out? Forgive me if this is a dumb question clearly answered in the text or a topic that's been thouroughly discussed to ad nauseam 

In one of these threads I brought up why Ramsey wanted the Frey kids unharmed after he and his men killed Rodrick & the northmen. The Walder kids were witnesses to what transpired at WF. Ramsey torched WF at the end of CoK (book 2). Theon didn’t show up again until DwD (book 5) and when Theon showed up it was as Reek.

Martin can be graphic. All a person has to do is read DwD chapter 12 or Reek I. Sooooooo, considering Ramsey’s extracurricular actives of sport hunting females I would speculate that the hostages Ramsey took from WF either died eating rats in a dungeon or they ran for their lives and were eaten by dogs.

BUT, I like saying BUT (cos it reminds me of Good Mythical Morning chatter) what say the Walder kid that died and pushed Roose to send out Frey & Manderly troops was trying to blackmail, put the screws to Ramsey?

Archived