NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

Brief thoughts on the game. It was definitely entertaining and had a good tempo thanks to the lack of flags. I think the better team won even though f the eggles...

My one take away is that this felt like a NHL playoff game. The refs swallowed their whistles and stuff that wasn't ok before, suddenly was ok. That is not ok in my book. No need to go into details since it's history now.

Good game, zero defense, good halftime show, pretty good commercials. All in all a good day.

1 minute ago, Rockroi said:

Matt Patricia has officially been named the next former head coach of the Detroit Lions.

Every minute that goes by that Josh McDaniels has not been named the official head coach of the Indianapolis Colts is distressing.  It calls into question that Belichick COULD decide to retire and McDaniels would be the heir apparent.  

Maybe at the press conference to announce that he's the new Patriots head coach, McDaniels can announce his surprise resignation and that he's going to be the head coach of another team instead.

That'd be fun.

2 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Matt Patricia has officially been named the next former head coach of the Detroit Lions.

Every minute that goes by that Josh McDaniels has not been named the official head coach of the Indianapolis Colts is distressing.  It calls into question that Belichick COULD decide to retire and McDaniels would be the heir apparent.  

Do not test me.

I understand you sustained a flesh wound last night.

There are worse things a man can suffer.

2 minutes ago, Fez said:

Maybe at the press conference to announce that he's the new Patriots head coach, McDaniels can announce his surprise resignation and that he's going to be the head coach of another team instead.

That'd be fun.

That would be amazing.  I know @DanteGabriel wrote a fantastic write up about "The Two Bills" and people should read it. I could talk about that documentary for hours (...please...) and what Bill and Bill threw at each other over "I-don't-want-to-be-the-Jets-Head-Coach-you-take-it-No-You-Were-Here-First-No-you-take-it-I-hate-this-place" was perfect and illuminating.  No question about it- NOBODY wanted that POS job.  

1 minute ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Do not test me.

I understand you sustained a flesh wound last night.

There are worse things a man can suffer.

That would be flesh-wounding the messenger.  Look, every minute that goes by with Josh not in Indy, the more and more it could seem like Belichick is twisting at something... 

10 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

As a huge Lions fan, I am excited by Matt Patricia being named, but I am also leary.  I mean I love Belicheck as a coach, but his coordinators don't have a very good track record as head coaches and it is the Lions.

I just really hope he does a good job and the Lions don't break him to bad.  Either way, he has got to be better than Caldwell, doesn't he?

1 hour ago, Bronn Stone said:

The rule gets cut in half when people discuss it.  The flag is for a helmet to helmet against a defenseless player.  And a runner is expected to defend himself except in a very small number of circumstances.

Players in a defenseless posture are:

1. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass (passing posture)
  2. A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player
  3. The intended receiver of a pass in the action during and immediately following an interception or potential interception. If the player is capable of avoiding or warding off the impending contact of an opponent, he is no longer a defenseless player.

Note: Violations of this provision will be enforced after the interception, and the intercepting team will maintain possession.

4. A runner already in the grasp of a tackler and whose forward progress has been stopped
  5. A kickoff or punt returner attempting to field a kick in the air
  6. A player on the ground
  7. A kicker/punter during the kick or during the return (Also see Article 6(h) for additional restrictions against a kicker/punter)
  8. A quarterback at any time after a change of possession (Also see Article 9(f) for additional restrictions against a quarterback after a change of possession)
  9. A player who receives a “blindside” block when the path of the offensive blocker is toward or parallel to his own end line.
  10. A player who is protected from an illegal crackback block (see Article 2)
  11. The offensive player who attempts a snap during a Field Goal attempt or a Try Kick

This is certainly true but there is also the very next rule in the NFL rule book:

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

Now, I don't really have a dog in this fight and I'm certainly not losing sleep that there was no flag on the Cooks hit.  But I wouldn't have been surprised if there were.  I sort of don't understand how Church is not only flagged but fined for his hit on Gronk two weeks ago while there's not even a flag in this case.  Seems rather inconsistent to me:dunno:

36 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Brief thoughts on the game. It was definitely entertaining and had a good tempo thanks to the lack of flags. I think the better team won even though f the eggles...

My one take away is that this felt like a NHL playoff game. The refs swallowed their whistles and stuff that wasn't ok before, suddenly was ok. That is not ok in my book. No need to go into details since it's history now.

Good game, zero defense, good halftime show, pretty good commercials. All in all a good day.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly.

That would be flesh-wounding the messenger.  Look, every minute that goes by with Josh not in Indy, the more and more it could seem like Belichick is twisting at something... 

Zip it.

Shush!

I have a whole bag of SHUSH!

Just right here I have found a SHUSH!

I'm totally on board with Mc'Deez staying in NE, it'd just be the stuff of legend at this point.

I mean, I guess I'd be left with Dave fucking Toub... but it'd be worth it.

How great would it be if they had to hire Peyton Manning as the HC just to get someone to take the fucking job?

Who was John Harbaugh's backup as a Colt? Can we get him in there.

That would be amazing.  I know @DanteGabriel wrote a fantastic write up about "The Two Bills" and people should read it. I could talk about that documentary for hours (...please...) and what Bill and Bill threw at each other over "I-don't-want-to-be-the-Jets-Head-Coach-you-take-it-No-You-Were-Here-First-No-you-take-it-I-hate-this-place" was perfect and illuminating.  No question about it- NOBODY wanted that POS job.  

Yeah, when you mentioned that McDaniels-to-Indy had hit a snag, it made me think of the Giants players lamenting the bad timing of Belichick leaving before Parcells, and I wondered if Belichick wanted to avoid a similar double whammy in New England.

23 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

Has any former Belichick assistant ever gone on to be a successful head coach?

5 hours ago, Fez said:

I also thought Collinsworth wasn't making a ton of sense in the fourth quarter when talking about what the Eagles offensive strategy should be; though the sound was a bit low at the party I was at. And he went back to the Foles TD catch a few too many times. It was an amazing play, and it was fun to see a few times, but he kept going on about it forever it seemed.

Yeah Collinsworth's idiocy was a key source of amusement for me and those I watched it with.  At one point he was talking about a receiver replacing Cooks and said something like "he's a very similar player [to Cooks], except without the skill set or experience."

21 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

This is certainly true but there is also the very next rule in the NFL rule book:

ARTICLE 8. INITIATING CONTACT WITH THE CROWN OF THE HELMET

It is a foul if a runner or tackler initiates forcible contact by delivering a blow with the top/crown of his helmet against an opponent when both players are clearly outside the tackle box (an area extending from tackle to tackle and from three yards beyond the line of scrimmage to the offensive team’s end line). Incidental contact by the helmet of a runner or tackler against an opponent shall not be a foul.

Note: The tackle box no longer exists once the ball leaves the tackle box.

Penalty: Loss of 15 yards. If the foul is by the defense, it is also an automatic first down. The player may be disqualified if the action is flagrant.

Sure.  But then the foul is for initiating with the crown, not for helmet to helmet which is what the previous poster said.  And the crown is pretty narrowly defined as a small portion of the very top.  Cooks was struck by the side.

18 minutes ago, briantw said:

Has any former Belichick assistant ever gone on to be a successful head coach?

So... not really. 

Patriots Def Coordinator Romeo Crennell lead the Browns to a ten-win season in 2007, which is, in effect, the equivalent of a Superbowl birth for any other team.  The Browns have not had more than seven wins in a season since and in the last three seasons COMBINED the Browns have 4 TOTAL.  The last time before Romeo that the Browns had 10 or more wins was 1994.  

And that was Bill Belichick.   After that RAC went on to KC and was there when that LB killed himself in the parking lot.  Since then, RAC has been a great D-coordinator for the Texans.  

Charlie Weis - former Pats O-coordinator - had a great couple of years with ND but the time he lacked in recruitment due to him being in the pros caught up to them, they changed athletic directors and that guy fired Weis.  He then went to Kansas (poor) and as O-Coordinator to KC under Hailey and that was bad because Weis was probably trying to kick Hailey out and get THAT job.  It failed.  Overall I think Weis did a decent job at ND and was probably fired for perception reasons and, as everyone says, is a gigantic fucking asshole.  

I think Billy O'Brian is doing a good job with the injury-riddled Texans and he has Watson and that could turn that franchise around. 

Josh McDaniels was the Head Coach with the Broncos, got involved in Spygate 2, beat the Pats in Week 5 in 2009 and then proceeded to win four more games for the remaining 2 seasons.  He was awful.  He then was O-coordinator for the Rams and then came back to the Pats where he gets to have Tom Brady.  

I think hot coordinators on hot teams are a victim of the ideal that these coordinators come from hot teams and they need to IMMEDIATELY change the team.  And after two seasons if the team does not look DRAMATICALLY better they get fired... for coordinators from the more recent class of hot teams.

19 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Pretty impressive considering all the weapons they’re missing. Indy fans should definitely feel better than Detroit fans right now...

Al said Phillip Dorset at one point and I was just waiting for him to take some triple-reverse-pass to the house at some point. 

19 hours ago, Hutch said:

As a Denver fan, let me tell you, you might to rethink that.

I remember one of the last games he coached, against Indy at Indy. He gave up on the game like half way through the 4th and just secured the most single-game catches in NFL history for Brandon Marshall. 

I couldn't tell if he hated the man or loved him as that split-personality wunderkind pulled off 10 yard in after 12 yard curl for basically an entire quarter. 

It actually worked too! Marshall got the record and if Orton had just been doing that the whole day the Broncos might have won. 

Got say, as a Giants fan, I wanted the big splashy hire, McDaniels or Patricia, those were the big names being talked about and I even felt slighted that neither wanted the Giants job. But now, I could not be happier with Shurmur, McDaniels and Patricia both seem like tools and Shurmur seems like a great fit. The 2017 season has been long over for me, ready for draft day and the start of 2018 season.......also, Eli & OBJ def had the best commercial 

JAce is starting to feel nerves.

If I get home and start lighting up without some news about McDaniels and the Colts then there's a problem.

SOMETHING

Even if it's a leak that he'll be announced in a few days or something.

AAAAAHHHHGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

THE FUCKING PATRIOTS ARE GOING TO FUCK ME THEN FUCK ME AREN'T THEY GODDAMIT

33 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Is Belichick breathing? Is Tom Brady peddling bullshit pseudoscience dressed up as diet help? Does a Kalbear shit on your back porch?

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

JAce is starting to feel nerves.

If I get home and start lighting up without some news about McDaniels and the Colts then there's a problem.

SOMETHING

Even if it's a leak that he'll be announced in a few days or something.

AAAAAHHHHGGGGGGGHHHHHHH

Belichick took note of your clever fandom-switching ruse a few years ago. You were the next name on his list after Malcolm Butler.

Congrats to the Lions on hiring Matt Patricia, the defensive coordinator who captained the #31 defense by DVOA, one that was so ineffective in the Superbowl that the greatest QB of all time throwing for 505 yards, 3 TDs with 0 INTs and 0 punts still couldn't win. In the words of Hue Jackson - "I don't think anyone else could've done this job." 

The one thing you can say about Matt Patricia is no defensive coordinator in the league made things tougher on Brady than he did. You want a DC who forces a QB to be great to win and he did that.

Archived