NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

In sports, for a team that hadn't won a title in forever like the Eagles, or a team that wins their first title like the Astros, I always think of the older fans that have supported their team fir years and years that are finally able to enjoy the moment.

When I think about that, it makes me smile.

23 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Congrats to the Lions on hiring Matt Patricia, the defensive coordinator who captained the #31 defense by DVOA, one that was so ineffective in the Superbowl that the greatest QB of all time throwing for 505 yards, 3 TDs with 0 INTs and 0 punts still couldn't win. In the words of Hue Jackson - "I don't think anyone else could've done this job." 

The one thing you can say about Matt Patricia is no defensive coordinator in the league made things tougher on Brady than he did. You want a DC who forces a QB to be great to win and he did that.

After years of watching Lions games, the one thing I couldn't stop thinking was "Matt Stafford needs more pressure."

If he could tempt Calvin Johnson out of retirement before trading Marvin Jones and Golden Tate then the team might be perfect.

So, some more thoughts on the Butler situation:

Reports today are that Belichick had been upset in the decline in Butler's play for some time.  Over the course of the season it was readily apparent that Butler was struggling.  Then, there was this illness w Butler and him flying in after, and that apparently he looked bad in practice and that it became a "perfect storm" of reasons so that Belichick informed the coaches that Butler would be benched just hours before the game; that Rowe was not told conclusively until moments before kick-off.

And that coaches and players are pissed. I can't blame them. It divided the locker-room.  This is similar to Pete Carroll and throwing the ball at the one instead of running it and everyone in the locker room knowing you fucked up.  Only with Belichick it was over the course of 60 minutes. 

And that's what angers me the most.  Even if we assume that all of that is true, the Superbowl is NOT the place to get on-the-job-training at CB; Rowe, Badamosi and Jordan Richards  were utterly over-matched (even McCourty- who I love - looked putrid) and at some point, Belichick HAD to think, "Maybe... just maybe the guy who saved us in SB 49 could run out here and maybe, possibly do it again?.... NAH!  Let's watch Jordan Richards try."  That, to me, is unforgivable.  What message are you sending to the other 50+ guys on the roster?  What does that say to the fucking demi-god you have at QB who slings it for 500 yards and becomes, apparently, the first QB in NFL history to throw 500+ yards, 3 TDs and 0 Ints and lose.  What are you saying?

To me, you are saying that your coaching is more important than winning.  

BTW, Pats recorded 0 sacks.  Chandler Jones lead the league this season in sacks and finished 3rd in DPOtY. 

Word also is that McDaniels IS going to the Colts after two fruitless days of needless speculation. My bad.  

Some of the wilderness rumors about Butler are that he went to a rap show on Friday night, missed curfew, and got caught with weed, and "flipped out" on the coaches when confronted. I'm not going to credit those until they hear more, because I've seen too many smears against players on their way out of Boston. If the crazy stuff then ends up being true, I guess I'd be disappointed in Butler and see more reason for his benching, but even so, the way it was handled seemed to discombobulate the defense.

Rock, I'm not that sad about Chandler Jones. It's hard to remember him stepping up in big games or the playoffs. It felt to me like he ran up his stats against bad teams or bad tackles but couldn't bring it when it was most needed. And he was going to be pretty expensive to re-sign.

1 hour ago, DanteGabriel said:

Some of the wilderness rumors about Butler are that he went to a rap show on Friday night, missed curfew, and got caught with weed, and "flipped out" on the coaches when confronted. I'm not going to credit those until they hear more, because I've seen too many smears against players on their way out of Boston. If the crazy stuff then ends up being true, I guess I'd be disappointed in Butler and see more reason for his benching, but even so, the way it was handled seemed to discombobulate the defense.

Rock, I'm not that sad about Chandler Jones. It's hard to remember him stepping up in big games or the playoffs. It felt to me like he ran up his stats against bad teams or bad tackles but couldn't bring it when it was most needed. And he was going to be pretty expensive to re-sign.

Seems odd that a guy of his profile could be out in public in this day and age and there not be photographic evidence in the public.

I was there for the Ups and Downs of Wayne Fontes.

I was there when they hired a coach who took a team to the Superbowl (never mind that the 49ers bent his team over during it) with Bobby Ross.

I was there when they hired a placeholder in Marty “I’ll take the wind” Morningwheg.

I was there when they broke the Rooney Rule to grab Steve Mariucci, a mildly successful coach with the 49ers.

I was there when they hired a coordinator whom no one had heard of in Rod Marinelli.

I was there when they hired Jim “Don’t shake my hand so hard” Swartz.

I was there when they hired a mediocre coach without Peyton Manning in Jim Caldwell.

So, hiring Patricia who was a hot coaching candidate going into the season, isn’t the worst thing they have done.  Even though none of Belichick’s former coaches have done much.  Even though his defense was lit up in the superbowl by Nick Foles.  Even though he doesn’t have any head coaching experience.  I’m still excited.

Will he be the first Belichick coordinator do well?  Will he be the first coach to take the Lions to a higher status?  Will he actually lead them to a playoff win?  Probably not.  But at least his beard game is on point.

Also I loved his work in Popeye opposite the late great Robin Williams

I'm Mean

39 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Here you go, Jace. It's nice that the top Colts story has a picture of a Patriots sideline celebration.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Colts/status/960905690335404032?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

(tweet embedding not working on phone?)

Right? Normally they just do a side profile as he's looking intently into the distance for those things

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

This rumor- to the best of my knowledge, was picked up off a tweet and run by Barstool Sports.  There is nothing else to it.  

But even if it were true, this is the Superbowl.  I don't think ANYONE cares about weed anymore, and even if anyone DID care, after a first half where the Pats forced ONE punt and it was obvious that Rowe-Badamosi-Richards were utterly hapless, you should be able to make a change.  Further, EVEN IF it was disciplinary in nature, why do it for a whole game?  Just make it a quarter or even the half.  And  why THE HELL are you dressing the guy?  

I think the weed story could be true, but if it is then its not reason enough to bench a guy that the remainder of your team needs to compete.  And even if it WERE, then by suiting him up you should be open to the idea of sending him in if needed, and Sunday, the Pats needed him.  Also, the two stories - lack of belief in Butler combined with the weed - could be true and that makes some sense too.  But at some point in the second quarter as a HC or even the DC, you should be open to the idea of Butler going in.  As it turned out, nobody could have done worse than Badamosi, Rowe and Richards.  

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I get the cost analysis.  He would be expensive.  2018 he gets $12.5 Mil and he never makes less than that before he's an UFA after 2021, but he's mostly locked in until after 2019- then his dead ca number falls to under $6mil. 

But's he's productive.  I know that for the Pats his numbers never seemed to be big, but he did have double digit sacks for the Pats in 2015 and NOBODY has had that since (he had an injury-shortened season on 2014, but was still solid in the playoffs).  For the Cards this year alone he has had sacks against Jax, the Titans, Rams and Eagles - all playoff teams.  He had 17 sacks this past season; lead the league.  

I GET that his price tag was high, but sometimes you have to pay to play.

Instead the Pats traded Chandler Jones after the 2015 season for a second-round draft pick.  That pick turned into Jordan Richards who sucked out-loud on Sunday.  

On 2/5/2018 at 7:31 AM, the Greenleif Stark said:

Eagles fans(all Philly sports fans actually) are the worst fans in America, who else punches horses, throws snowballs at Santa?

Someday people will have to let an incident from 1968 go. But I guess we can't say all the snowball throwers are dead now.

1 minute ago, AverageGuy said:

Someday people will have to let an incident from 1968 go. But I guess we can't say all the snowball throwers are dead now.

Yeah, that's what they said in 45 too. But let me tell you one thing.

JACE REMEMBERS

Archived