NFL 2018 Superb Owl Edition: Is There A Way To Tell If Gronk Is Concussed?

Mr. Chatywin et al.

58 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

GOD WHY? WHAT DID WE DO? WERE OUR SINS SO GREAT!?!

This is your payment for turning your back on St. Peyton Maximus in his time of need.

49 minutes ago, Rockroi said:

.  This was a great move for the Pats and for McDaniels.  

Well, you can tell yourself that but the League Remembers. Brady and Little Bill aren't immortal and a head coach needs assistants, scouts, and the ability to deal with other teams. Good luck with that.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Pagano still has a couple years left on his contract, right?

I haven’t taken a contracts law course, but I’m pretty sure termination ends any rights the Colts might have to retain Pagano.  

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

While I'm sure she enjoys a good mustache ride as much as the next Colts fan, sadly... its not meant to be... he shaved his mustache while working with the Redskins. :( 

Yeah I saw that so I had to delete "mustache." What has the world come to?

2 hours ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

And the worst part is that nobody cares. The coverage, the PROFESSIONAL COVERAGE, of the news has weighed like 4-1 in the direction of celebrating McDaniels and the Patriots instead of wondering what happens to Indy now.

Everything I've seen has been just the opposite, with everyone calling him a snake and saying that he'll never get a chance again outside of NE.

He's like the Lane Kiffin of the NFL.

1 hour ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I'm just going to put it out there, because everything else (DAN CAMPBELL!?!) is on the fucking table.

Michigan had a horrible national signing day.

That's it.

No prediction, no hope. Just pointing out that I thought of it too, just in case.

And at this point who gives a fuck? It's all terrible.

Here's the real question Jace. Assuming Luck can come back and give you five more elite years (I think he'll decline earlier than most like Big Ben), do you get a one year rental coach and get early dibs on next year's group of potential  HCs or do you make a big splash and try to get Crazy Jim or one of the old heads who are now in broadcasting? 

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Since apparently rehiring washed up SB winning coaches is all the rage, Brian Billick is still available...

To be fair, he has a better career winning percentage than Gruden does. 

2 minutes ago, Trebla said:

Well, you can tell yourself that but the League Remembers. Brady and Little Bill aren't immortal and a head coach needs assistants, scouts, and the ability to deal with other teams. Good luck with that.

In four years McDaniels is going to ask his old buddy Matt Patricia if he can put in a good word with his new boss in Arizona. Matt Patricia will probably want to, and Josh would definitely be a good OC for that new QB the Cards had lined up. But he will inform his old buddy that having just been hired as the Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Backfield Choreographer he doesn't know if his position is stable enough to make a recommendation on Josh's behalf. Not to a coach like Matt Nagey.

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

So, for starters, the Pats cannot promise McDaniels the job because that would violate the Rooney Rule (unless McDaniels was already a minority, because Dungee did that exact thing with Caldwell).  Therefore, the Pats made it seem like 1) Belichick would groom him to be a coach at some point in the future (who knows when or where?????) 2) the usual blah blah blah about the kids and the schools and other lies people believe- like that one about Robert Mathis who claimed he was taking a fertility drug so he could have kids- even though his wife was ALREADY 7 -moths pregnant and the drug was never authorized to be used by men - but was actually taking it to mask his PED use?  Good times!  People always believe stupid things about kids.  

But there is no doubt that McDaniels could never accept this job unless he was promised the NEXT job.  Because he HAS to know he would never again get another job in the foreseeable future in the NFL.

I actually think this is a GREAT move for Josh.  He gets a great job in a functioning, adult and well-established organization with little dysfunction.  Sources are saying that the meeting he had was attended by Robert and Jonathan Kraft, McDaniels and Belichick.  So EVERYONE is on board.  No doubt Belichick told him that he was going to play out his contract runs after the 2018 season and then retire.  So Josh has the job.  There is also the chance that Belichick retires before the 2018 season (waiting for the Butler backlash to die down).  They also gave Josh an extension and for a much longer period of time so he has plenty of money regardless.  

His agent left him.  Well, that agent is also the Colts' GM's agent.  And they have parted ways before.  I don't think this is a factor at all.  And he looks bad, but he is also going to be the Pats' head coach so he does not need to look good for anyone.  Had McDaniels gone to Indy and failed (which looked more and more probable give the fact that Andrew Luck's bones seem to have the consistency of Silly Putty), he wouldnot have gotten another head coaching gig anyway.  This was a great move for the Pats and for McDaniels.  

How can they promise him the next job without violating the Rooney rule, though?

1 hour ago, Rockroi said:

So, for starters, the Pats cannot promise McDaniels the job because that would violate the Rooney Rule (unless McDaniels was already a minority, because Dungee did that exact thing with Caldwell). 

Negative mi amigo. There was a lot of debate about this on the airwaves today, but the final conclusion was that the Rooney Rule does not apply if an internal employee accepts the job before the person holding the job officially steps down. This applies for coaching positions and the GM. What's unclear is what type of time frame applies (it's unclear what would happen if BB retired next week, but if he announced tomorrow that he's retiring at the end of the 2018 season and McDaniels will be his successor, the Rooney Rule would likely not apply). 

1 minute ago, James Arryn said:

How can they promise him the next job without violating the Rooney rule, though?

It wouldn't work if they promised him the job, but if contracts are signed then it would appear you can bypass the Rooney Rule. 

2 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

The same way Jon Gruden got hired without violating the Rooney Rule? Because the NFL doesn't care? But they might care if it's the Pats.

As for fears that Future Pats HC McDaniels won't be able to hire any assistants -- the Pats overwhelmingly develop from within. McDaniels and Patricia both started out as entry level guys. The hot coordinators of the league may still regard McDaniels as a snake by the time he ascends, but ideally the next generation of Patriots coaches are already in the building. And to continue the pipeline, I don't think entry level coaches (probably from small schools) are going to turn down Patriots jobs. 

Also, Belichick's been grooming his kids for this for a while. One of them is the safeties coach. Maybe the wink and nudge to McDaniels about taking over involved jobs for the Belichick kids.

33 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It wouldn't work if they promised him the job, but if contracts are signed then it would appear you can bypass the Rooney Rule. 

Bill Polian on Wingo and Golic (golic and wingo?) this morning said that if you name a successor, it bypasses the Rooney Rule.

Anyway, this sucks for the Colts.  I was interested to see what Mcdaniels was going to do with that team.  Now he looks like a bigger asshole then he did in Denver.  I would say, outside of New England, how will he ever get another head coach offer, but see Lane Kiffin.  Hopefully, for Jace's sake, what I heard on the radio this afternoon isn't true.  They mentioned Jeff Fisher as one of the top three candidates.  Luck might see that and just retire.

1 minute ago, Fiddler said:

Bill Polian on Wingo and Golic (golic and wingo?) this morning said that if you name a successor, it bypasses the Rooney Rule.

Anyway, this sucks for the Colts.  I was interested to see what Mcdaniels was going to do with that team.  Now he looks like a bigger asshole then he did in Denver.  I would say, outside of New England, how will he ever get another head coach offer, but see Lane Kiffin.  Hopefully, for Jace's sake, what I heard on the radio this afternoon isn't true.  They mentioned Jeff Fisher as one of the top three candidates.  Luck might see that and just retire.

I'd stand with him if he did.

2 hours ago, Rockroi said:

Hence the word "kinda."  I said that McDaniels had not informed the Pats that he was taking the Colts job, thus keeping the door open for his return to the Pats. The fact that that then got stretched out over the full day kept me on that.  I am not AT all surprised by this turn of events.  

So, yeah, I kinda did.  

I guess I wasn't clearer. I thought McDaniels might not leave. I never, in my wildest dreams thought he'd leave, have the Colts put out PR, have them hire his assistant coaches, and then hours later actually bail out, forcing his agent to dump him.

There's a difference between being mildly disappointed and being fucked hard. (there are a lot of 'that's what your wife said last night jokes that go with this)

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

But isn't this exactly what his mentor did to the Jets? In fact, it's arguably slightly less treacherous as McDaniels hadn't actually signed anything whereas Belichick actually had a contract with the Jets which was subsequently litigated (for all the good it did the poor Jets).

In fact... it may be that betrayal is in some sense a prerequisite for greatness in the NFL. What was Belichick before he jilted the Jets? An excellent defensive coordinator and a mediocre head coach no different from at least a dozen other head coach candidates (and at least another dozen who come from the offense). But after the betrayal -- well, the GOAT pretty much falls into his lap (I don't buy that he knew what he was getting or he wouldn't have waited until the 6th round) and from then on Belichick just keeps winning (there are many teams who would be overjoyed to have just one of his seasons -- even one in which the Patriots don't win the Superb Owl). Would any of this have happened if not for the betrayal?

2 hours ago, Fiddler said:

Maybe they can get Chip Kelly. Then win the Super Bowl in three years.

Archived