Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

@Which Tyler

On 2/1/2018 at 3:28 AM, Which Tyler said:

Bana becomes Hulk when he gets angry; if Hulk became this incredibly calm zen-master philosopher, then I'd have issues.

Deliberate?

I felt I couldn't let this languish at the end of the last thread, because I thought this was such a great Freudian slip.

Anyhow new thread for a new-ish year. February already sheesh!

Several screenings opening night and opening weekend for Black Panther are already sold out in my suburb of Toronto, and it's two weeks from tonight.  The Force Awakens wasn't popular enough to do that in this town -- I saw that opening night to a nearly empty theatre.

3 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Black Panther isn't out here for another fortnight. Gah, this was more fun when it was the other way around. So you know usual requests, spoilers in their own separate thread, please?

Any chance a mod could stick a link in the last thread?

Is it out anywhere yet? They had the fancy premier showing here in the US but it doesn't actually come out for two weeks here either. 

21 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Is it out anywhere yet? They had the fancy premier showing here in the US but it doesn't actually come out for two weeks here either. 

Mybad I cast a quick eye at this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/releaseinfo?ref_=tt_ov_inf) and mistook the Premiere for the general release. In which case why is the premiere so early?

Just wow!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-rotten-tomatoes-denounces-group-taking-aim-at-movie-1081081

Rotten Tomatoes Denounces Group Taking Aim at 'Black Panther' Audience Score

Calling themselves "Down with Disney’s Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys," the group is attempting to flood Rotten Tomatoes with poor audience scores for the superhero pic, which is tracking to open to $130 million-plus.

Rotten Tomatoes has denounced a Facebook group attempting to flood its site with poor audience scores for Disney and Marvel Studios' upcoming superhero pic Black Panther.

The film, opening in theaters Feb. 16, is a bold move by Marvel and Disney in featuring a virtually all-black cast. The movie is generating keen interest, with one major tracking service predicting a $130 million-plus domestic debut. Other box-office observers believe that number could even climb to $150 million.

"We at Rotten Tomatoes are proud to have become a platform for passionate fans to debate and discuss entertainment and we take that responsibility seriously. While we respect our fans’ diverse opinions, we do not condone hate speech. Our team of security, network and social experts continue to closely monitor our platforms and any users who engage in such activities will be blocked from our site and their comments removed as quickly as possible," the company said in a statement issued Thursday.

Is this the same lot as attacked the Last Jedi? Or is this Star Wars fans attacking an MCU movie because a bunch of people did the same vs TLJ. Or is it DC fans being all sour grapes? Or is it just straight out racist a-holes?

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Just wow!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-rotten-tomatoes-denounces-group-taking-aim-at-movie-1081081

Is this the same lot as attacked the Last Jedi? Or is this Star Wars fans attacking an MCU movie because a bunch of people did the same vs TLJ. Or is it DC fans being all sour grapes? Or is it just straight out racist a-holes?

Let me take my editorial pen to this and shorten it for you by saying the same thing in less keystrokes:

”Is this just the internet?”

15 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

@Which Tyler

I felt I couldn't let this languish at the end of the last thread, because I thought this was such a great Freudian slip.

Anyhow new thread for a new-ish year. February already sheesh!

Unfdortunately I think it's what auto-correct did to my typo / dyslexiconography

On 2/3/2018 at 1:12 AM, Rhom said:

Let me take my editorial pen to this and shorten it for you by saying the same thing in less keystrokes:

”Is this just the internet?”

I think it's people. The internet is just the tool. The Disney conspiracy seems to be a new twist on an old theme.

Having seen the teaser for Solo and Infinity War during the Superbowl, I gotta wonder, is any other movies being released in May?  Infinity War to start the month and Solo to end it, I would say May goes to Disney.

And I can't wait.  There is no comic book movie hangover for me.  I am a Marvel junkie and am stoked for Blank panther and Infinity War.  Holy cow it is going to be a great year for movies!

1 hour ago, Fiddler said:

Having seen the teaser for Solo and Infinity War during the Superbowl, I gotta wonder, is any other movies being released in May?  Infinity War to start the month and Solo to end it, I would say May goes to Disney.

And I can't wait.  There is no comic book movie hangover for me.  I am a Marvel junkie and am stoked for Blank panther and Infinity War.  Holy cow it is going to be a great year for movies!

Blank --> Blanc (French) = white.

Gasp! The twist in BP will be that T'Challa is actually a white dude in blackface. You heard it here first, all heroes are white, even when they're black. :-P

5 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Blank --> Blanc (French) = white.

Gasp! The twist in BP will be that T'Challa is actually a white dude in blackface. You heard it here first, all heroes are white, even when they're black. :-P

Wait... what’s the only Infinity Stone we haven’t seen yet?  The Soul Stone?!!?

So you’re saying that a white guy got the Soul Stone from Space Don Cornelius and got black... then Thanos steals it and turns him white again?!!?

Hot damn!  I like it!  Sounds like just the sort of thing that could come out of a Hollywood board room!!!!

Reviews are coming out now. 58 reviews posted to Rotten Tomatoes, average score 8.6/10 (wow!) and 100% positive.

Both metrics will come back, but a brilliant start with the critics. Ending the review embargo 10 days before release shows massive confidence in the movie getting good reviews. Reviews don't always = Box office results, but I suspect with MCU movies there's a pretty good correlation.

Comcast looking to come in and spoil the Disney/Fox party?

How much does Disney want to bring the Marvel family back together, and have total control of everything Star Wars? I assume those things are really important to Disney, so they will go to pretty great lengths to seal the deal.

And if Murdoch wants to secure some sweet career security for his boys outside of the right wing news bubble then I would have thought they'd rather have swanky offices at Disney than swanky offices at Comcast. But everyone has a price.

I imagine there would be a few back out clauses in the current Fox/Disney deal, so even though it seems like it should be too late for Comcast to swing in, I would think if they offer enough $$ Fox will find a way to jump. Or they will just leverage more money out of Disney.

I still think this goes to Disney, and assuming the Trump admin is still running things when the deal goes up for govt approval I think they will do whatever Rupert Murdoch wants.

Not sure where to put this... so I'll just throw it in here.  There's word on the intrawebz of a Venom trailer coming out tomorrow.  

I'm still understandably wary of a Venom movie not featuring Spidey, but I'll check out the trailer of course.

Archived