Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

I feel like I should know this... what was Lawrence Fishburne in the MCU?

I was thinking he was editor in Spider-Man... but then I remembered that he was Perry White in Superman. :dunno: 

He's not been in anything yet, but he's Bill Foster (Giant-Man/Goliath) in Ant-Man and the Wasp.

On 2/9/2018 at 5:13 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

Depends. If you’re short on time the fan edit is surely your best bet :P 

Ya -- that leaves about two characters so it will zoom right on by!  Plus there won't be any pretty designs, people or places to look at either. Zip, zip, zippity do da, and you're done done done.

On 2/4/2018 at 8:16 PM, Fiddler said:

Having seen the teaser for Solo and Infinity War during the Superbowl, I gotta wonder, is any other movies being released in May?  Infinity War to start the month and Solo to end it, I would say May goes to Disney.

And I can't wait.  There is no comic book movie hangover for me.  I am a Marvel junkie and am stoked for Blank panther and Infinity War.  Holy cow it is going to be a great year for movies!

Deadpool 2... oh wait they're owned by Disney now, too. Yeah might as well change May to Disney Month.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Deadpool 2... oh wait they're owned by Disney now, too. Yeah might as well change May to Disney Month.

Yeah, i saw that later in the week and thought to myself, yeah, Deadpool would shove himself right in the middle and be like "oh hell no, I'm here too".  May, the one month to rule them all.

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

If the deal goes through by then. Nothing's finalized yet, and supposedly Comcast is trying again to purchase Fox.

There was briefly a rotten tomatoes group planning to spam it with poor audience reviews, so it could well be that but on a platform they can vote on right now.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-panther-rotten-tomatoes-denounces-group-taking-aim-at-movie-1081081

"Down with Disney's Treatment of Franchises and its Fanboys." In recent days, the group created the event "Give Black Panther a Rotten Audience Score on Rotten Tomatoes" that drew 3,700 participants.

They could be racists, it does seem awfully convenient that this is happening for the film with a principally black cast. But given none of them have seen the film yet I would think it's fair to call them morons.

Yeah, it was supposedly a mixture of racists and DC movie fans. But I'm guessing there are exponentially more racists in the world than there are fans of the current DC movies. 

You may want to watch what you click as their plan was also to disseminate spoilers to ruin the experience for people. A detailed description of the entire plot is out there if you look for it. 

27 minutes ago, The Monkey said:

Check out the vote spread on IMDb's Black Panther site:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/ratings?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Can we boil it down to 3000 racists, or is something else going on?

Yes. Racists and the fact that we've been dumbed down to accept comic book movies as actual cinema. Probably racists tho. 

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yes. Racists and the fact that we've been dumbed down to accept comic book movies as actual cinema. Probably racists tho. 

Yeah, I doubt it's a 10 or a 1 in all honesty. Extremes are probably connected with agendas and fanboys (Marvel and DC).

One review I read (think it was the Guardian) said it's the best looking and sounding Marvel film to date yet it still makes the same old mistake in the third act of degenerating into a CGI fight-fest at the end. They do at least say it's pretty self contained besides maybe requiring the viewer having seen Civil War (and Age of Ultron for Ulysees Klaw).

I'll be seeing it at the weekend.

While it's great the film's getting a lot of coverage for it being a black superhero film - I kind of feel sorry for Wesley Snipes with what arguably got the whole superhero franchise off the ground in "Blade". Did people not care back then or was I just too young (and without the internet) to notice? Obviously this film has the benefit of the having a black director and fully embracing a psuedo-african culture whereas "Blade" just had Blade in it. I vaguely recall Snipes wanting to make a Black Panther film but I think his jail-time got in the way of that?

4 minutes ago, red snow said:

One review I read (think it was the Guardian) said it's the best looking and sounding Marvel film to date yet it still makes the same old mistake in the third act of degenerating into a CGI fight-fest at the end.

Mark Kermode said in his review that he felt the 3rd act fight (where he usually checks out (is it check or cheque)) was helped by a degree of clarity about character motivations, and what and where they're doing things, that is usually absent in these films.

Marvel was pretty infamous in regards to how tightly it held the reins, and how tightfisted it was. This loosened up eventually, but Whedon took the brunt of their paranoia and it definitely exhausted him. I wouldn't have any great concerns if he did an SW film... but the fact is, he's pretty bland as far as direction goes -- his strength is writing -- so I don't know if he'd be someone I'd be eager to see doing a Star Wars film.

ETA: A review that sounded pretty balanced to me is that BP is not very compelling as a story for the first 75 minutes or so, but once it lays out the stakes and kicks into high gear, it's apparently very rousing and exciting (and this from a critic who generally hates CGI fests).

5 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah, I doubt it's a 10 or a 1 in all honesty. Extremes are probably connected with agendas and fanboys (Marvel and DC).

One review I read (think it was the Guardian) said it's the best looking and sounding Marvel film to date yet it still makes the same old mistake in the third act of degenerating into a CGI fight-fest at the end. They do at least say it's pretty self contained besides maybe requiring the viewer having seen Civil War (and Age of Ultron for Ulysees Klaw).

I'll be seeing it at the weekend.

While it's great the film's getting a lot of coverage for it being a black superhero film - I kind of feel sorry for Wesley Snipes with what arguably got the whole superhero franchise off the ground in "Blade". Did people not care back then or was I just too young (and without the internet) to notice? Obviously this film has the benefit of the having a black director and fully embracing a psuedo-african culture whereas "Blade" just had Blade in it. I vaguely recall Snipes wanting to make a Black Panther film but I think his jail-time got in the way of that?

I don’t think people forgot about Blade[\b], it’s just that we have social media to be loud about the movie and plus like you said Black Panther[\b] is African culture celebrated in a positive light with a predominantly black cast so it’s getting so much hype. 

9 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Mark Kermode said in his review that he felt the 3rd act fight (where he usually checks out (is it check or cheque)) was helped by a degree of clarity about character motivations, and what and where they're doing things, that is usually absent in these films.

I listened to his review last night and he's usually very critical of "marvel endings" and I respect his reviews, so would be more inclined to beleive him.

4 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I don’t think people forgot about Blade[\b], it’s just that we have social media to be loud about the movie and plus like you said Black Panther[\b] is African culture celebrated in a positive light with a predominantly black cast so it’s getting so much hype. 

I guess the fact it's 20 years since another black superhero received a film also warrants some form of celebration/commentary in itself. I'm not sure whether Catwoman and Spawn count (pretty sure Catwoman was used as an excuse not to have non white non male leads for a decade)

Just got back from seeing it. Extremely strong movie, definitely one of the best Marvel films. The best? Hard to say, mainly because the Marvel movies haven't actually produced a stone-cold classic that everything gets measured up to automatically. But the cast is exceptional, the pacing is superb, the stakes are well-laid out, the backstory is given in a compelling manner and, most notably of all, it finally has a genuinely great villain. Michael B. Jordan absolutely owns the screen in every scene he's in, comes across as a genuinely ruthless, amoral threat and you still feel that you understand why he's doing what he's doing. A much better (if less funny) villain than Loki, and maybe the best villain Marvel has produced yet. Danai Gurira and Daniel Kaluuya are outstanding, although I spent half the movie wondering who she was before I realised she was Michonne. The bald look was badass. Martin Freeman also had a crowning moment of excellence, which was very entertaining. Letitia Wright also stole every scene she was in as a much younger and almost contemptuously superior Tony Stark.

Key weaknesses: possibly a bit too much CG, more in the stuntwork than the environment (which was really cool), although the ending is far more comprehensible than a lot of the Marvel movies in this regard. The final battle is surprisingly low-key, which I guess is because we're going to get an overload of that in Infinity War and they wanted to keep their powder dry. I'm not massively invested in the Marvel Universe's spacecraft/aircraft designs, which are all blending into one at this point. The Wakandan vehicles feel like they've just fallen out of a portal from Xandar. Oh, and Chadwick Boseman is perfectly fine as Black Panther but everyone around him 

The after-credits scenes are okay. One is a bit random (not telling us anything we didn't already know or need to know) and the other is a massive middle finger up to the current political climate, which was entertaining, although I daresay it will make some manbabies cry a bit.

But yeah, the film rocked. The first Marvel film I'm seriously tempted to go back and see a second time. It's not a classic for the ages, just an exceptionally well-crafted piece of entertainment which makes some interesting points about colonialism but doesn't belabour the point.

29 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If he's much better than Loki then surely he's pretty definitely the best villain Marvel has produced?

I was never really enamoured of Loki as much as everyone else, mainly because they neutered him almost immediately and turned him into a good guy (or at least an antihero). Our heroes did forget the immense number of deaths he caused in The Avengers a little bit too easily.

Archived