Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

It's a better weekend to open - they probably avoided it a bit to keep the "May" in the release, but Black Panther has blown away any logic that major blockbusters don't start until  that month. There's not much before it (I think Rampage will sputter out toward bad bust land), and late May has the juggernauts of Deadpool 2 and Solo: A Star Wars Story to think about. This will give Avengers: Infinity War three weekends to  eat up 2/3s of the the domestic gross before hitting wave after wave of other blockbusters. Disney could make another 40 million or more just by giving it that third week to rake in the dough.

7 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The character posters for Infinity War is referring to Spiderman as Iron Spider.

Poor Hawkeye... He gets no love here. :) Maybe they don't want to give away Ronan persona yet.

Actually, Black Panther is missing from there too.

9 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

The character posters for Infinity War is referring to Spiderman as Iron Spider.

Interesting.  And War Machine is in there as well.  

I saw someone share this post yesterday that shows Ironman associated with the Soul Stone.

I don't know if that's official artwork or fan art.  Either way, it doesn't make any sense to me.  I still don't know why they are keeping the Soul Stone so secret.  It pretty much has to be in Wakanda.  Anywhere else really doesn't make sense and there's no reason for Thanos to have a big CGI slugfest with hoards of minions there unless they have something he wants.

18 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

It just hit me: the Soul Train Stone is in Wakanda. Of course it is. :D

Yeah, we made a few jokes about that leading up to the movie.  :lol: 

So I re-watched Thor Ragnarok recently, and I liked it more 2nd time around. Anyway, it occurred to me that the plot is one big allusion to the unbreakable rules of rock-paper-scissors (Korg even makes a rock-paper-scissors joke in the movie)

Thor is paper (he has a cape), Surtur is rock (a big rocky looking demon who lives underground), and Hela is scissors (can summon blades of various shapes)

Thor beats Surtur, but no matter how strong he becomes he cannot beat Hela. On the other hand, Surtur beats Hela, because his destiny of bringing Ragnarok to Asgard, the source of Hela's power, cannot be changed.

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Poor Hawkeye... He gets no love here. :) Maybe they don't want to give away Ronan persona yet.

Actually, Black Panther is missing from there too.

If I'm thinking about who you're referring to, wasn't he killed in guardians vol 1?

Just saw Ragnarok last night, managed to stay away from spoilers on the interwebz since it came out. Thought it was great, had some more haha scenes than I can recall a Marvel movie having. Quick question though, I'm not gonna spoiler tag this because, well, it's been out for some months now: The mid credit scene, that ship that appeared, looked very similar to Ronans in guardians 1. Was that implied to mean the Asgardians came across the path of Thanos??

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Interesting.  And War Machine is in there as well.  

I saw someone share this post yesterday that shows Ironman associated with the Soul Stone.

I don't know if that's official artwork or fan art.  Either way, it doesn't make any sense to me.  I still don't know why they are keeping the Soul Stone so secret.  It pretty much has to be in Wakanda.  Anywhere else really doesn't make sense and there's no reason for Thanos to have a big CGI slugfest with hoards of minions there unless they have something he wants.

People at Marvel keep saying it's not in Wakanda. The latest rumor is that it's a planet, or in the core of a planet. A recent tie-in comic had Wong explaining to Strange that it's the most powerful of the stones. They could easily be protecting Vision in Wakanda, simply because it's the only nation with lasers and spaceships and stuff. 

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

People at Marvel keep saying it's not in Wakanda. The latest rumor is that it's a planet, or in the core of a planet. A recent tie-in comic had Wong explaining to Strange that it's the most powerful of the stones. They could easily be protecting Vision in Wakanda, simply because it's the only nation with lasers and spaceships and stuff. 

So do you open the movie with Thanos destroying a planet to get the Soul Stone to establish him as a badass?  Or maybe the climax of the movie is Thanos winning the fifth gem from Earth and then leaving to go grab the Soul Stone and thus gives our heroes the chance to regroup?

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

So do you open the movie with Thanos destroying a planet to get the Soul Stone to establish him as a badass?  Or maybe the climax of the movie is Thanos winning the fifth gem from Earth and then leaving to go grab the Soul Stone and thus gives our heroes the chance to regroup?

I'd guess they open on him destroying Xandar to get the power stone to establish him as a badass. They send a distress signal or something that brings the Guardians, then Thanos meets Thor as seen at the end of Ragnorok gets the Tesseract, kicks Thor into space where he hits the Guardian's ship and Hulk down to Earth. Then he goes to the collector as seen in the leaked footage (or maybe this is the first one he grabs? but it'd be a less exciting opening to the movie), then to earth. I'd imagine wherever it is the soul stone will be the last one he gets. 

The trailer shows him with only the purple (power) stone and then the blue (space) stone before he punches Stark (assuming there is no stone in the thumb slot). So, Xandar gets hit first, then Thor's ship? 

Probably, but lets not forget they're not above using CGI to produce misleading trailers (Thor's eye, the original Civil War trailer didn't show spider man in the "lets run at each other" airport scene, etc.)

But yeah I think opening on Xandar, a society of more technologically advanced humans, being totally obliterated seems like an obvious way to establish the stakes. 

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So I re-watched Thor Ragnarok recently, and I liked it more 2nd time around.

Same and same.  I think my expectations were too high the first time around.

4 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Anyway, it occurred to me that the plot is one big allusion to the unbreakable rules of rock-paper-scissors (Korg even makes a rock-paper-scissors joke in the movie)

Mind. Blown.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Or maybe the climax of the movie is Thanos winning the fifth gem from Earth and then leaving to go grab the Soul Stone and thus gives our heroes the chance to regroup?

Something like this would be my preference.

Is it possible he gets 5 in this movie, then Captain Marvel explains where the sixth is (or was, back in the 90’s)? Then what was Infinity War II has Thanos get the full house? That is, if he does get all six. Seems like you can’t build up a whole universe around this plot and then not have someone get all of them.

6 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So I re-watched Thor Ragnarok recently, and I liked it more 2nd time around. Anyway, it occurred to me that the plot is one big allusion to the unbreakable rules of rock-paper-scissors (Korg even makes a rock-paper-scissors joke in the movie)

Thor is paper (he has a cape), Surtur is rock (a big rocky looking demon who lives underground), and Hela is scissors (can summon blades of various shapes)

Thor beats Surtur, but no matter how strong he becomes he cannot beat Hela. On the other hand, Surtur beats Hela, because his destiny of bringing Ragnarok to Asgard, the source of Hela's power, cannot be changed.

It also mostly works for just Korg. He (rock) crushes Meik (scissors,) and his failed revolution was because he didn't print enough pamphlets (paper.)

16 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Surtur isn't rocky. And really, Thor is paper because he has a cape?

Archived