Marvel Cinematic Universe General Discussion No H8 M8 Just Gr8

The Anti-Targ

9 hours ago, red snow said:

Yeah - that could also lead to him being an interesting antagonist for Black Panther down the road. He'd probably be even more pissed off with Wakanda than Killmonger and a hell of a lot harder to put down. Mix in the Genosha idea (which I think was an island off Africa?) mentioned above and we probably don't need the X-men (or at least can have the X-men and Black Panther together).

Except that, as noted, the Holocaust has a particular cultural status, particularly in the West, that none of these other genocides have: and that makes the Holocaust survivor narrative a lot less controversial and risky than a Rwandan survivor narrative would be, or any other modern genocide. Literally any other genocide I can think of, inserted into Magneto's story, would be controversial.

Imagine the storms over whether the writers were really saying Rwanda was as bad as the Holocaust, or why Rwanda was picked instead of (say) Bosnia and what that says about Marvel's attitudes to Africa or Muslims, etc. Imagine, also, how many potential pitfalls there are in writing that character - a character that would have to represent a whole African culture and stand in for every victim, while simultaneously his every action was pored over in comparison to the original character. And that's assuming Marvel were willing to greenlight an African lead character that's not from a conveniently fictional country. 

On the other hand, you can just keep the character as is with a minor bit of the sort of handwaving that happens all the time in superhero comics. 

Where's the percentage in changing it?

7 hours ago, Bastard of Boston said:

The actual Inhumans series hasn't been referenced on AoS or the movies. They can easily pretend that never happened.

I think a lot of people are pretending that never happened. 

It would be a minefield in today's far more connected world although some of the controversies are probably arguments worth having although probably not in the context of a superhero comic.

Regarding the new film I'm a bit miffed my local cinemas are only showing the 2D versions in their smaller screens with "reclining chairs" which somehow allows them to charge the same as a 3D ticket. Convenient.

I really don't want to watch it in 3D but at the same time I'm not a massive fan of small screens as it's really not that far from watching the damn thing in front of my TV.

I wanted to see it at my localish Showcase for the comfy seats, but they aren’t showing it in 2D at all. I’ve decided my local Vue’s screens are just too damn big and action films are just juddery and incoherent (I’ve seen others mention it, but the scene early in Black Panther where he attacks the convoy I might as well have had my eyes closed). So I’ve gone with a small screen Odeon. Not ideal, but I might see it again after in one of the others.

How is the Marvel stuff in 3D? I think Man of Steel was the last film I saw in 3D and was pretty lame.

4 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I wanted to see it at my localish Showcase for the comfy seats, but they aren’t showing it in 2D at all. I’ve decided my local Vue’s screens are just too damn big and action films are just juddery and incoherent (I’ve seen others mention it, but the scene early in Black Panther where he attacks the convoy I might as well have had my eyes closed). So I’ve gone with a small screen Odeon. Not ideal, but I might see it again after in one of the others.

How is the Marvel stuff in 3D? I think Man of Steel was the last film I saw in 3D and was pretty lame.

Think it was age of Ultron that was last draw for me with 3D so I'd say the marvel films were bad with post production 3D.

Odd how they are insisting on 3D with avengers as thor and black panther had decent 2d options. Maybe Disney are insisting on retaining a large percentage of ticket sales and pushing cinemas into the more lucrative 3d screenings? I'm guessing Disney can't demand a cut of 3d glasses sales.

I absolutely love my home projector's 3D mode - it looks amazing on a very large screen in a normal living room. That only applies to animated stuff, or things shot using proper 3D cameras - IMAX nature documentaries, every Pixar movie, etc. The post converted stuff looks shoddy in comparison. I won't even bother with them, and I'm a pretty big 3D proponent. 

I have Movie Pass, so it's a small screen sometime after the first sellouts settle down.

2 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

I absolutely love my home projector's 3D mode - it looks amazing on a very large screen in a normal living room. That only applies to animated stuff, or things shot using proper 3D cameras - IMAX nature documentaries, every Pixar movie, etc. The post converted stuff looks shoddy in comparison. I won't even bother with them, and I'm a pretty big 3D proponent. 

I have Movie Pass, so it's a small screen sometime after the first sellouts settle down.

Yeah it's the fake 3d I have no time for. Animated and filmed in 3d still work. 

I also prefer it on my home TV as I don't have to remember to bring glasses with me or worry about seating position.

No idea whether infinity was filmed in 3d or post production.

3D is the bane of my cinemagoing life and all forms of it can fuck right off. In England thankfully the trend for it has receded somewhat, meaning you can always easily find a 2D showing on opening weekends, but less so in Berlin, at least in the biggest cinemas that show films in English- I have to hope one of the indies is showing it. Which they usually are for Marvel, to be fair, but DC films and some others seem to be exclusively SonyCenter (so exclusively 3D) for weeks.

Yeah, every Marvel movie in "3D" has been much more of a distraction than a boon. Especially in a theater with those crappy glasses. The Dr Strange mindbender scene was pretty great in 3D, all the action scenes are just an eyesore. I doubt I'll ever elect to go to a 3D show in a theater again. Anything that's truly cool in 3D will look better at home, anyway. My local theater only seemed to have Black Panther in 3D on the big screens and 2d on the tiny ones. Sucks.

I’m not a 3D fan in the least and never have problems finding a quality 2D showing in my area.  It perplexed me that there are places that it can’t be found.

One of the nice things I noticed about my local NCG theater is that the 3D marvel movies have like 2 show times daily, while the 2D has 5 - 6 showing.  I don't mind 3D, but for most shit it isn't needed and the glasses distract me.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/james-cameron-avengers-sci-fi-avatar-2-1201955644/

“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

HE has a point :D 

1 hour ago, Corvinus said:

Will we be saying the same thing after his 17th Avatar movie? ;) Or not just Avatar, but simply a story we've seen before, but set in an aquatic environment.

You do know we are all the worst critics of ourselves? :D He has a point, but at the same time, it is not like he is offering something new. Has he actually done anything since Avatar? 

That said, we shall always have Titanic. 

15 hours ago, Risto said:

Says he who's taken the Terminator franchise back under his wing. Seems he's looking a making a TCU himself. He just wants to take some of the audience share.

Seems kinda odd that there's no IW reviews out yet, the movie opens here in 2 days. BP reviews cam out over a week in advance. When's the review embargo lift. Did they not even allow twitter reactions for this?

3 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Says he who's taken the Terminator franchise back under his wing. Seems he's looking a making a TCU himself. He just wants to take some of the audience share.

Seems kinda odd that there's no IW reviews out yet, the movie opens here in 2 days. BP reviews cam out over a week in advance. When's the review embargo lift. Did they not even allow twitter reactions for this?

First screening of the full film is tomorrow followed by media screenings Tuesday.

10 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

First screening of the full film is tomorrow followed by media screenings Tuesday.

I guess that's to prevent spoilers leaking out all over the place. Gives reviewers piss all time to write a decent review though. But I guess we shouldn't care too much about reviewers' feelings.

7 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I guess that's to prevent spoilers leaking out all over the place. Gives reviewers piss all time to write a decent review though. But I guess we shouldn't care too much about reviewers' feelings.

Yes we should, how else are we supposed to be furious about them getting paid by Disney!

Archived