Daenerys Targaryen's Power Plays

Mon ami

On 2/4/2018 at 11:10 PM, Son of Man said:

Dany knowing doesn't have to involve genetic memory and reincarnation.  She's very inquisitive and astute.  Asking the right questions, listening well, and combining the learned data can lead to wonderful conclusions.   The chain of events is rich with clues and our young lady is very intelligent.  First, dragonlore.  Dany is sure to have heard many stories of dragons from Viserys.  Second, family history.  Great-grandfather tried to hatch dragons with fire.  It ended badly.  Third, Doreah.  The story of the moon and the dragons.   Fourth, Dany had already made two attempts to hatch the eggs.  Firth, MMD.  The Maegi told her 'only death can pay for life.'

1-2) is self explanatory.  Dany has the background knowledge.  At least she has enough to build a theory on. 

3)  Dany is not superstitious.  I don't think she accepted Doreah's story for fact.  She was able to reason out what happened.  The moon got too close to the son.  I agree with the below post on the eclipse.  The moon cracked and dragons poured forth.  Dany must have concluded that the story got twisted over the tellings.  Something got lost in the tellings.  The moon didn't crack.  Dragon eggs on the ground cracked during the eclipse and out came dragons.  

4)  She tried hatching her eggs and failed. 

5)  Mirri tells her only death can pay for life.  Now Dany understood why the eggs failed to hatch.  Not enough heat and three must be sacrificed.  It just so happens Drogo and Rhaego are dead.  Mirri makes three.

On 2/7/2018 at 1:30 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

Risking the few to reduce the casualties to the many is what capable leaders do.  That was a good call.  

Time to roast a plumm.

Not until he's ripe for the plucking.  

On 2/7/2018 at 7:21 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That was plumm's plan.

Dany made the call.  

As much as i don't like her i gotta give credit where it is due

1. Making Strong Belwars fight the champion of Mereen

2. Taking Hostages from the noble familes (shame she never showed them how serious she was and really kill one but nature is nature)

3. Sacking Astapor she got her army and got gold she should have tried buying more ships 

4. Using the fact she is a girl against the men she fights against it good when your enemies underestimate you so you attack them while they think your weak.

On 2/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, Barbrey Dustin said:

"A Queen belongs to the people and not herself" 

I don't have the exact quote but the idea it represents is revolutionary for the times.  I would not call this a power move but it speaks very highly of Dany's ideals.  Nobody before this in a leadership capacity has so far understood the responsibility of the ruler to the ruled.  Dany set aside her love in order to save her people from the cowardly harpy.  She married Hizdahr to buy peace and save lives.  Dany showed maturity beyond Robb's.

Agreed. 

On 2/5/2018 at 10:47 AM, Widowmaker 811 said:

The slaves in general bring nothing to the table.  At least not at the first.  It started out with Jorah's plan to find an army and it developed into a humanitarian mission to liberate countless slaves.  It was a simple mission that became complex and threatens to derail the restoration of House Targaryen.  But why not build a new House in this continent.  It's as good a place as any and the weather is much better.  

And believing they were pursued by Robert's hit men.  

I often wonder why it was that Ser Willem Darry never taught Viserys how to fight.  

Because Ser Willem was an old man.  He was a sick man who stayed in bed a lot.  Viserys was probably of the same mold as Robin Arryn. 

On 2018-02-08 at 1:21 AM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

That was plumm's plan.

Plumm told her that there was a way through sewers and that he'd never go down there again. Calling it a "plan" and giving him credit for taking Mereen says more about you than it does the actual story.

21 hours ago, Sigella said:

Plumm told her that there was a way through sewers and that he'd never go down there again. Calling it a "plan" and giving him credit for taking Mereen says more about you than it does the actual story.

It was her decision.  She made that call.   Plumm was actually useful  with that information.  Too bad he turned his coat later on.  The old sellsword should pay for that betrayal later on.

On 2/8/2018 at 3:37 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

The wildling girl will suffer culture shock.  

Yes but oh what a great experience for an ignorant wildling to see the real world.  Mance Rayder II gets to grow up in Meereen where the weather is nice and the climate is dry.  And should Dany need king's blood to pull off another miracle this baby wildling could come in handy.

On 2/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I can write about this subject endlessly and never get tired.  Mine took place near the beginning of our story and got me hooked on Dany's story line.  Here it is for your enjoyment, the passage from Dany's wedding to Khal Drogo.

What a beautiful moment, beautifully and lovingly written by George R. R. Martin.  What a lovely character he created in Daenerys Targaryen.  I know it's not exactly a "power play" but Dany's confidence with her filly literally gave her wings and this is the start of her blossoming. 

On 2/2/2018 at 7:46 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

She was a young filly, spirited and splendid.  Dany knew just enough about horses to know that this was no ordinary animal.  There was something about her that took the breath away.  She was grey as the winter sea, with a mane like silver smoke.

Hesitantly she reached out and stroked the horse's neck, ran her fingers through the silver of her mane.  Khal Drogo said something in Dothraki and Magister Illyrio translated.  "Silver for the silver of your hair, the khal says."

"She's beautiful," Dany murmured.

"She is the pride of the khalasar," Illyrio said.  "Custom decrees that the khaleesi must ride a mount worthy of her place by the side of the khal."

Drogo stepped forward and put his hands on her waist.  He lifted her up as easily as if she were a child and set her on the thin Dothraki saddle, so much smaller than the ones she was used to.  Dany sat there uncertain for a moment.  No one told her about this part.  "What should I do?" she asked Illyrio.

It was Ser Jorah Mormont who answered.  "Take the reins and ride.  You need not go far."

Nervously Dany gathered the reins in her hands and slid her feet into the short stirrups.  She was only a fair rider; she had spent far more time traveling by ship and wagon and palanquin than by horseback.  Praying she would not fall off and disgrace herself, she gave the filly the lightest and most timid touch with her knees.

And for the first time in hours, she forgot to be afraid.  Or perhaps it was for the first time ever.

The silver-grey filly moved with a smooth and silken gait, and the crowd parted for her, every eye upon them.  Dany found herself moving faster than she had intended, yet somehow it was exciting rather than terrifying.  The horse broke into a trot, and she smiled.  Dothraki scrambled to clear a path.  The slightest pressure with her legs, the lightest touch on the reins, and the filly responded.  She sent it into a gallop, and now the Dothraki were hooting and laughing and shouting at her as they jumped out of her way.  As she turned to ride back, a firepit loomed ahead, directly in her path.  They were hemmed in on either side, with no room to stop.  A daring she had never known filled Daenerys then, and she gave the filly her head.

The silver horse leapt the flames as if she had wings.

When she pulled up before Magister Illyrio, she said, "Tell Khal Drogo that he has given me the wind."  The fat Pentoshi stroked his yellow beard as he repeated her words in Dothraki, and Dany saw her new husband smile for the first time.

:)  :)  :)

Vaes Dothrak - Dany eats the heart of a horse.  Foreshadows the future because Dany will win the heart of the Dothraki.

Dothraki Sea - Last chapter of A Dance with Dragons.  The Dothraki riders find Dany and Drogon consuming a horse.  Foreshadows Dany using and thus consuming the Dothraki to fight her war with the slave masters and their harpies.

The Dothraki horselords were masters of Essos.  They were the stallions who preyed on everybody.   These two events are important because they herald the coming of the dragons who can prey on the horses.  Daenerys the dragon lord at the top of the proverbial food chain will "prey" upon the horse lords.  Essos will have a new master/Emperor or in this case Mistress/Empress.

"and all that lived and breathed fled before the shadow of her wings"

On 2/5/2018 at 11:35 PM, Noble Lothar Frey said:

It's this paragraph that had me thinking ancient memory stored in the genes.  Instinct. 

"She told herself that there were powers stronger than hatred, and spells older and truer than any the maegi had learned in Asshai.  The night was black and moonless, but overhead a million stars burned bright.  She took that for an omen."

Possibly.  All I'm saying is it doesn't require magic and prophecies for Dany to reason things out.  She's good at asking the right questions and remembering what she hears.  A bright girl like that can put two and two together and come up with a working idea for how to hatch your dragons.  But I'm with you in thinking there can be something supernatural because nothing about the legends and none of the clues ever hinted a girl can walk into flames and come out alive.  She somehow knew that and there are no clues leading to that conclusion.  Unless you follow the popular theories on youtube, her god-like ancestors told her in a dream. 

On 2/8/2018 at 10:55 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

I'm reading a quote from a quote from another thread but so be it.  The pale swords are reminiscent of Dawn.  It is possible that those men were related to the Daynes.  Milkglass is how Dawn was described.  

We do have to ask a few questions.  The men are in their later years.  Their clothes have faded.  Are they trapped somewhere?  Imprisoned?  It is one of the more interesting visions in book 1.

I always thought Danny 3 AGOT was her first victory, her first conquest if you will. Not as epic as Astapor or some of her others but this was the first step in going from a scared girl to a Player.

Summery of Chapter:

Daenerys learns to embrace her life in Drogo's khalasar, and stands up to Viserys for the first time. Afterward, when Drogo arrives to have sex with her, she rides him instead of being taken from behind and becomes pregnant

"That night, when Khal Drogo came, Dany was waiting for him. He stood in the door of her tent and looked at her with surprise. She rose slowly and opened her sleeping silks and let them fall to the ground. "This night we must go outside, my lord," she told him, for the Dothraki believed that all things of importance in a man's life must be done beneath the open sky.

Khal Drogo followed her out into the moonlight, the bells in his hair tinkling softly. A few yards from her tent was a bed of soft grass, and it was there that Dany drew him down. When he tried to turn her over, she put a hand on his chest. "No," she said. "This night I would look on your face."
There is no privacy in the heart of the khalasar. Dany felt the eyes on her as she undressed him, heard the soft voices as she did the things that Doreah had told her to do. It was nothing to her. Was she not khaleesi? His were the only eyes that mattered, and when she mounted him she saw something there that she had never seen before. She rode him as fiercely as ever she had ridden her silver, and when the moment of his pleasure came, Khal Drogo called out her name."

7 hours ago, Jono of Oldtown said:

I always thought Danny 3 AGOT was her first victory, her first conquest if you will. Not as epic as Astapor or some of her others but this was the first step in going from a scared girl to a Player.

Summery of Chapter:

Daenerys learns to embrace her life in Drogo's khalasar, and stands up to Viserys for the first time. Afterward, when Drogo arrives to have sex with her, she rides him instead of being taken from behind and becomes pregnant

That could be foreshadowing for Dany "mounting the stallion", meaning taking control of the Dothraki khalasars.

Archived