Sorcerers and Swords

Curled Finger

It is believed that that the famed Targaryan Valyrian Steel sword, Dark Sister, was forged for a woman’s hand because of its slender blade.   At least one woman, Visenya Targaryan, wielded it during the conquest.  Even those who loved her best found Visenya stern, serious, unforgiving, and some said that she played with poisons and dabbled in dark sorceries.”  AWOAIF Reign of the Dragons: The Conquest

Visenya gave Dark Sister to her son, Maegor, upon his 14th name day.  Following years of distinguishing himself as a fighter, King Aenys seems to have traded the larger Blackfyre for Dark Sister with his brother.  Maegor The Cruel was cunning and fierce, hard and unsmiling.  He was a man of singular values in taking multiple wives and working in sorcery.  Upon Visenya’s death in 44 AC, Aeny’s wife, Alyssa Velaryon, absconded with Dark Sister to Driftmark.   When Maegor finally dies upon the Iron Throne,  Alyssa’s son, Jaehaerys seems to have taken possession of both Dark Sister and Blackfyre.   Though Jaehaerys was known as the Concilliator and his sister wife Alyssanne was called The Good Queen, it is thought by some that their Hand, Septon Barth, was a sorcerer.  However, there is no mention of Jaehaerys wielding either Blackfyre or Dark Sister.  

The old king Jaehaerys awarded Dark Sister to his grandson Daemon, when he was knighted.  Presumably the heir, Viserys, was gifted with Blackfyre.  The system seems to be that the heir and future king is given Blackfyre while Dark Sister is awarded to another (Targaryan) for his fighting skill.   Daemon held multiple positions at court as well as commanded the City Watch.  He was known to associate with thugs and the dishonored.  However, his stance and penchant for handing out hard punishment resulted in a sharp decrease in crime.  Several comparisons can be drawn between Maegor The Cruel and Daemon the Rogue Prince.  Daemon coined the term “Dark Sister has a thirst for blood.”  He was also widely suspected to be a sorcerer.  Daemon lost Dark Sister when he placed her in the skull, via the eye, of Prince Aemon One Eye and they both fell to their deaths along with their dragons over the God’s Eye.     

Prince Aemon’s body and Dark Sister were eventually recovered. 

Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, known for his courage and chivalry, used Dark Sister to defend his sister, Naery’s honor, who was married to their brother,  Aegon IV The Unworthy.  Dark Sister figured prominently in Aemon’s wars with Dorne.  Aemon’s  grandfather was Daemon the Rogue Prince.  Dark Sister was returned to House Targaryan sometime after The Dragonknight  was killed in Dorne and passed to the possession of Aegon IV. 

Brynden Rivers needs no explanation.   His reputation as a spy, warrior and sorcerer is indelible throughout the books and Dunc & Egg stories.   There is only a mention of Bloodraven wearing Dark Sister upon his hip with no explanation for how he attained the sword.   It’s safe to assume that as the non-heir warrior,  Bloodraven was awarded Dark Sister for his own talent and skill with a sword.  There is an SSM wherein GRRM states that BR carried Dark Sister.  ‘Nuff said.  We are all familiar with Bloodraven’s story and understand that Dark Sister is “lost” somewhere between King’s Landing and The Greenseers’Cave.  Was BR permitted to take this ancestral sword to the Wall?  Was she lost in one of the Blackfyre Rebellions?  Was she passed on to Daeron or Aegon V?  Dunc?  Did Bloodraven have a child this sword may have passed to?   Someone else?  Does Sheira Seastar and her propensity for sorcery matter anywhere  in this?

To date the known wielders of Dark Sister are Visenya, Maegor, Daemon the Rogue Prince, Aemon the Dragon Knight and Bloodraven.  5 of the 6 are known to be or suspected sorcerers.  Sorcery is heavily related to fire magic in Valyrians and Red Priests.   Other noted sorcerers are the Warlocks of Qaarth, Septon Barth, Varys and Euron.   Shade of the Evening is said to be the drink of sorcerers.   What then do we define Bran’s bloody acorn paste as since it is given to enhance his abilities…Is Bran a sorcerer?  Should we be looking at Melisandre to wield this exquisite weapon at some point?   Can Arya be considered a sorcerer with her new training and abilities?  Jon? 

How about this people, as possible candidates to become future wielders of notable swords? ->

Daenerys Targaryen - Dark Sister (she's not exactly a sorcerer, nevertheless she did managed to hatch three dragon eggs).

Jon Snow - Lightbringer (the Dawn, white sword of Daynes).

Rhaego Drogo-Targaryen - Blackfyre (if Rhaego is alive, then I think that he is now in Asshai with Quaithe, and that he will be champion of Lord of Light, something like crusader. So he will be both - a warrior and a sorcerer. And as the Prince that was promised, he will eventually become ruler of 7K. Though that's if he's alive ^_^)

16 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

5 of the 6 are known to be or suspected sorcerers.

yes, probably DS is passed to the next generation following the magic line...  Unlike the other ancestral swords, it's not given to heirs. There are many quotes about "deserving" DS.

I have one more question to add: Is DS really a Targ sword? I can't find this info anywhere. No signs.

Could it be a House Velaryon sword? They used blood magic, and DS "has a thristy for blood".

It's very surprising  seeing this boiled down @Curled Finger - 5 of the 6 owners of Dark Sister have been sorcerers - excellent!

Potential owners wise, I'm not sure.

Jon's hero was the Dragon Knight, so he might be the favourite.The slender blade might fit well for Jon, who is both still growing and well experienced using a similarly gripped bastard sword. If we go by the logic that Bran is a sorcerer due to his warging/greensight, then his fellow skinchanger/prophetic dreamer Jon could certainly be called one too, probably more-so in the aftermath of his resurrection. 

I would love Arya to get a hold of her namesake sword, but I wonder how efficient she would be using a weapon more suited to knightly combat when she favours assassin technique. How much would she might Arya have physically grown by the time she would get a hold of Visenya's sword? Arya is another one who could fit the bill of sorcerer, due to her skinchanging and mystical FM training.

If Mel were to get Dark Sister, I could see her gifting it to whomever she was touting to be Azor Ahai. Of course, if the sorcery-chic Red Woman really is some ancient figure then I wouldn't be surprised to see her claim the blade for herself, providing she had no one to wake a stone dragon - "hey, Valyrian steel, I used to love this stuff!"

Meera Reed is a strong possibility, providing Bloodraven took the blade with him to his cave. I assume the cave will either be breached or Bran's companions will have to leave at some point - having a Valyrian blade lying around would be perfect opportunity to gift the deadly huntress Meera with something more useful for battle than her frog spear. Can she be called a sorcerer? I'm not sure, but "breathing mud and running on leaves", coupled with the mysterious nature of her father, her brother and her culture, is without doubt a wide example of  magic infused mythology.

You mentioned the sorcerer Varys, he of the Dragon restoration. As someone with a vested knowledge in Targaryen history, as well as a "hatred" for magic, I wonder what The Spider thought when hearing the stories of his fellow spymaster, Brynden Rivers.

In my estimations, Varys would take a great interest in this heirloom-sword-wielding-bastard Dragon who seemed to know everything, only to vanish beyond the Wall - why wouldn't The Spider send some spies to the Wall, to both find one of his beloved Aegon's family swords and uncover some of the mysteries surrounding the greatest spymaster of recent memory?

I don't think Varys is in possession of DS, however, there are few other major players who I can imagine would have actively tried to find the blade over the last few years.

3 hours ago, Cridefea said:

yes, probably DS is passed to the next generation following the magic line...  Unlike the other ancestral swords, it's not given to heirs. There are many quotes about "deserving" DS.

I have one more question to add: Is DS really a Targ sword? I can't find this info anywhere. No signs.

Could it be a House Velaryon sword? They used blood magic, and DS "has a thristy for blood".

We have to take it on faith that Dark Sister is at least claimed by the Targs.  It's not unlike Widows Wail being Baratheon or Lannister.  They claim it.  We could follow the TargaryanNess of DS right down the rabbit hole that assures us Long claw is or was a Mormont sword.  Sorry about the weird type.  Phone typing sucks!  Having had the privilege of your private thoughts on swords I know you need facts want facts Cridefea you LUST for facts.  I don't think we will get as many as we would like.  I reckon anyone could have been the original owners of any of the swords, but Dark Sister is associated with the Targs and that's all I really need at this point.  Let's definitely earmark Velaryons for future use.  You ROCK you fact lusting she devil!

1 hour ago, Sensenmenn said:

Lightbringer/oathkeeper- Jon snow/Aemon targaryen 

Dawn- Jaime lannister

Blackfire- Aegon blackfire

Widowswail- Arya stark

Darksister- Brienne

Thanks but I'm looking more or less for a sorcerer in our current story to see if there may be a fit for Dark,Sister.  Brienne is a fascinating choice.  Care to say why you would match Brienne with Dark Sister?   Again please excuse the phone typing!  

1 hour ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

If I were to guess:

Jon- Blackfyre - like Aegon

Arya - Darksister - like Visenya

Daenerys - Best rider - like Rhaenys

Gads you sure have had me in thrall for a week!  I really like what you did with the names, but I'm trying to stick to Dark Sister in this round.  We promise to have a full on sword topic soon where we can spin our webs of wonder.  Any sorcerers up your sleeve?

1 hour ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

Jon's hero was the Dragon Knight, so he might be the favourite.

He wasn't, though. Jon played at being Aemon the Dragonknight with Robb, but his hero growing up was Daeron I the Young Dragon, the last Targaryen king to wear Aegon's crown. 

I wonder if Dark Sister wasn't meant to be passed down the female line.

1 hour ago, Leo of House Cartel said:

It's very surprising  seeing this boiled down @Curled Finger - 5 of the 6 owners of Dark Sister have been sorcerers - excellent!

Potential owners wise, I'm not sure.

Jon's hero was the Dragon Knight, so he might be the favourite.The slender blade might fit well for Jon, who is both still growing and well experienced using a similarly gripped bastard sword. If we go by the logic that Bran is a sorcerer due to his warging/greensight, then his fellow skinchanger/prophetic dreamer Jon could certainly be called one too, probably more-so in the aftermath of his resurrection. 

I would love Arya to get a hold of her namesake sword, but I wonder how efficient she would be using a weapon more suited to knightly combat when she favours assassin technique. How much would she might Arya have physically grown by the time she would get a hold of Visenya's sword? Arya is another one who could fit the bill of sorcerer, due to her skinchanging and mystical FM training.

If Mel were to get Dark Sister, I could see her gifting it to whomever she was touting to be Azor Ahai. Of course, if the sorcery-chic Red Woman really is some ancient figure then I wouldn't be surprised to see her claim the blade for herself, providing she had no one to wake a stone dragon - "hey, Valyrian steel, I used to love this stuff!"

Meera Reed is a strong possibility, providing Bloodraven took the blade with him to his cave. I assume the cave will either be breached or Bran's companions will have to leave at some point - having a Valyrian blade lying around would be perfect opportunity to gift the deadly huntress Meera with something more useful for battle than her frog spear. Can she be called a sorcerer? I'm not sure, but "breathing mud and running on leaves", coupled with the mysterious nature of her father, her brother and her culture, is without doubt a wide example of  magic infused mythology.

You mentioned the sorcerer Varys, he of the Dragon restoration. As someone with a vested knowledge in Targaryen history, as well as a "hatred" for magic, I wonder what The Spider thought when hearing the stories of his fellow spymaster, Brynden Rivers.

In my estimations, Varys would take a great interest in this heirloom-sword-wielding-bastard Dragon who seemed to know everything, only to vanish beyond the Wall - why wouldn't The Spider send some spies to the Wall, to both find one of his beloved Aegon's family swords and uncover some of the mysteries surrounding the greatest spymaster of recent memory?

I don't think Varys is in possession of DS, however, there are few other major players who I can imagine would have actively tried to find the blade over the last few years.

Right back where we started my friend!  I've been trying to figure out the best way to present this idea for a bit now.  So I searched.  Varys is the 1st person to be called a,sorcerer in the story so I thought i'd add him in for flavor.   I only searched sorcery and sorcerer so maybe Mirri was mentioned 1st as a,sorceress.  I would love to tie Aemon the dragon knight to a dark art or 2 but I can't even find anything close.  So this whole relationship between Dark Sister and her wielders causes my expectation for heroes to alter a bit.  I'm so pleased you find some of my suggestions plausible for sorcerers.  As always i'm wide open to suggestions.

I don't really understand swords at all, and I haven't read any of the novellas, so I'm not rellay qualified to talk about Darksister. I learned a lot with your OP though - thanks for that! It's very well written and organized :) 

One thing a know for certain though... I'm pretty sure Arya qualifies as a "sorcerer" in the same way Lord Bloodraven did. I mean she is a warg and a capable skinchanger, she's very connecetd to the Old Gods and she is very knowledgeable - she understands poisons, speaks many languages and she can pull mummery tricks. Those are her current skills, and she might yet learn to work glamours and even how to change her face FM-style. I can't see another character in the books that has that many "magical qualities". What does it take for a person to be called a sorcerer in Westeros, circa 300 A.C.? In fact she's such a good candidate for the sword I think GRRM might not give it to her just to mess with us. 

26 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

I don't really understand swords at all, and I haven't read any of the novellas, so I'm not rellay qualified to talk about Darksister. I learned a lot with your OP though - thanks for that! It's very well written and organized :) 

One thing a know for certain though... I'm pretty sure Arya qualifies as a "sorcerer" in the same way Lord Bloodraven did. I mean she is a warg and a capable skinchanger, she's very connecetd to the Old Gods and she is very knowledgeable - she understands poisons, speaks many languages and she can pull mummery tricks. Those are her current skills, and she might yet learn to work glamours and even how to change her face FM-style. I can't see another character in the books that has that many "magical qualities". What does it take for a person to be called a sorcerer in Westeros, circa 300 A.C.? In fact she's such a good candidate for the sword I think GRRM might not give it to her just to mess with us. 

Ah Lady as much as you enjoy ASOIAF I know you will enjoy all the auxiliary books.  Dunc & Egg are great.  The Rogue Prince and The Princess and The Queen are more of an acquired taste.  Personally TPATQ is probably my favorite out of them all.  But my first love in this story was the swords and a geek gets more swords in that short story than all of them I reckon.  And as a bonus, Ian Glen narrated the story.  Get on the good foot, Lady!  

What it takes to be considered a sorcerer were my precise thoughts in research.  Illyrio calls Varys a sorcerer in his ability to keep things going politically.  What did Visenya do?  I totally get Daemon and Maegor and Bloodraven not so much everyone else.  I appreciate your going out on a limb to contribute here and believe me I am taking notes.  

44 minutes ago, Curled Finger said:

We have to take it on faith that Dark Sister is at least claimed by the Targs.  It's not unlike Widows Wail being Baratheon or Lannister.  They claim it.  We could follow the TargaryanNess of DS right down the rabbit hole that assures us Long claw is or was a Mormont sword.  Sorry about the weird type.  Phone typing sucks!  Having had the privilege of your private thoughts on swords I know you need facts want facts Cridefea you LUST for facts.  I don't think we will get as many as we would like.  I reckon anyone could have been the original owners of any of the swords, but Dark Sister is associated with the Targs and that's all I really need at this point.  Let's definitely earmark Velaryons for future use.  You ROCK you fact lusting she devil!

LoL! yes I LOVE facts. But this time I wasn't searching for the origin of DS (yes, I would love to XD). What I meant it's that it's always called "Visenya's sword" and Martin never used the word Targ for DS....This is something really different from the other swords, iirc. We call it targ sword only because they used it, but we don't know if this is the basis for wielding DS.  It's used by sorcerers, could be this the criteria? The targs was the only remaining "magical" family in westeros. Bloodraven wield it even he doesn't like swords, maybe there are other reasons. And it's the only one designed for a woman. I think it's special .... just that! It could be important for the future...

38 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

I agree! there is not so many people who can use DS ... She is one of the best candidate.

54 minutes ago, Widow's Watch said:

He wasn't, though. Jon played at being Aemon the Dragonknight with Robb, but his hero growing up was Daeron I the Young Dragon, the last Targaryen king to wear Aegon's crown. 

I wonder if Dark Sister wasn't meant to be passed down the female line.

This is my 2nd attempt to reply to you Widow!  This stupid phone!  I think Dark Sister is supposed to pass through the female line.  But I think there is a reason for that as well.  

I think where the Dragonknight is concerned all the boys of the realm would have admired him so I'm not sure a relationship like that is relative, but if we can find a boy sorcerer...yes Widow, I think that's the answer!  

21 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Prince Aemon the Dragonknight, known for his courage and chivalry, used Dark Sister to defend his sister, Naery’s honor, who was married to their brother,  Aegon IV The Unworthy.  Dark Sister figured prominently in Aemon’s wars with Dorne.  Aemon’s  grandfather was Daemon the Rogue Prince.  Dark Sister was returned to House Targaryan sometime after The Dragonknight  was killed in Dorne and passed to the possession of Aegon IV. 

I think you got Aemon and Daeron confused. 

The Dragonknight did not die in Dorne. He was captured there on the Prince's Pass and held captive in some cage over a pit of vipers (I think) and his religious zealot cousin walked his crazy butt all the way to Dorne to have him released. Daeron did die, thought.

Aemon died protecting his asshat brother against an assassination attempt from the Toyne brothers. It's Blackfyre that was returned after the death of Daeron I, but Aegon's crown was lost.

21 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Maegor The Cruel was cunning and fierce, hard and unsmiling.  He was a man of singular values in taking multiple wives and working in sorcery.

I haven't read Sons of the Dragon since Fire and Blood is a year away and I figure I can wait. Is this stated somewhere that Maegor delved in sorcery?

As far as Bloodraven goes, him ending up with Dark Sister is odd since he preferred the bow to the sword. So in my mind, it's one of two things. Either Aegon IV gave the sword to Bloodraven, or it was Daeron II, perhaps to ensure Blackwood loyalty.

@Widow's Watch, serves me right for trying to explain things and bring up guys who shouldn't be part of the line up.  Yet there he is, forcing me to look closer.  Regardless your humble OP's scattered recollections, the Dragonknight held Dark Sister, which is the point.  He is the only 1 who doesn't fit.  I thank you for straightening the facts out.

I suppose the award to Bloodraven could have served many purposes.  He was still very skilled and talented with the sword despite preferring the bow.  And he fits the suspected criteria.  

Ah dang it, Widow!  I am not trying to spoil stories you've not yet enjoyed.  Suffice it to say that Maegor fits the criteria as well.  

Perhaps I am on the wrong track with sorcerers.  With the information at hand it is the best fit, but far from the only fit.  I do believe there is a way to determine who the final heroes and their swords will be.  

This isn't directly on the topic of sorcery, but I've recently started to wonder whether leaders who have archers at their disposal are part of the puppet motif: something about pulling strings. So Quentyn Ball was killed by one of Bloodraven's bow men at the Red Grass Field, but Bloodraven pulls the strings of his puppets so this "kill" is credited to him. Crossbows are operated with a crank, though, so I'm not sure they are part of the same "pulling strings" symbolism.

More to the point, this would mean that Bloodraven getting and keeping possession of Dark Sister has some value to him other than its use as a combat weapon. The dynastic significance is nice, of course, but it seems like Bloodraven gave up pretty early any personal concern about proximity to power and instead worked to keep the "rightful" Targ in power. Is that similar to the function Visenya fulfilled for her brother / husband? Alyssa was trying to protect her son's life and his claim to the throne when she took the sword away.

"Fighting skill," as you put it in the OP, may result in the bestowing of the second sword, or it may be that every Targ monarch needs someone to have his back. The second sword could be for the defender of the king or heir. I imagine sorcery skills would also be valuable to a person with that kind of responsibility. Interesting that Dark Sister went missing and Aerys was eventually murdered.

@Curled Finger, once again you do what I can't find the courage to do - start a thread with a new idea! Great topic! Love this idea of Dark Sister being like this dark, magical sword to be used by a fantasy style "Dark/Black/Magical" Knight.

What you say is interesting. As far as I can estimate, Dark Sister either had two fates: destroyed at Summerhall or it is still with Bloodraven and he has it in his cave. It presents the question of whether the Targaryens would allow their ancestral sword to go with him to the Night's Watch or not especially since the reason he was there was for a crime. Yet we don't hear about it again after him so... it is odd. 

If it is around, it is in one of the two (maybe three) possible locations that to me don't lead to either of them having the sword. While a resurrected, dreamer and skinchanger Jon or a Faceless man Arya might be considered "sorcerers", they have their own weapons of significance. I know I'm being overly romantic here but I feel Dark Sister shouldn't just be a cool weapon for one of our favourite characters or [insert Targ here] to swing around. I would prefer Dark Sister to fall into the hands of a character without a named "companion" sword. An unlikely wielder. 

If it was destroyed or is in pieces somewhere in the Red Keep or Dorne, then if it reappears it will likely be as an all-new weapon and we won't fully realise it. 

So, let's assume Bloodraven has it and it is still in his weirwood root cave. That gives us four possibilities for wielders, all of whom are in some ways magically inclined one way or the other. I have obsessed thought way too much a lot about the swords from the crypts of Winterfell for a long time and whether they will ever be used, like Chekhov's gun, or used a promptly broken, leading to the need for convenient Dark Sister.

Jojen is unlikely as we have never seen him wield a weapon though we can't rule him out in life of death situation as he is the only one of the gang unarmed. Plus, he is a type of "sorcerer" with his dreams.

Bran-via-Hodor or Hodor might make sense. However, I do feel that if Hodor's sword were to break from him using it, he would probably just panic and curl up in a ball as he often does, so I feel it would have to be our significantly braver Bran to find an alternative weapon for them. Bran, as you said, is very much a type of sorcerer and Hodor is becoming "one of his skins", making them more and more like one entity.

Hodor, surprisingly enough, is pretty married to this rotten old sword he took from the crypts:

"Hodor," [Bran] said, "why don't you go outside and train with your sword?"
The stableboy had forgotten about his sword, but now he remembered. "Hodor!" he burped. He went for his blade. They had three tomb swords taken from the crypts of Winterfell where Bran and his brother Rickon had hidden from Theon Greyjoy's ironmen. Bran claimed his uncle Brandon's sword, Meera the one she found upon the knees of his grandfather Lord Rickard. Hodor's blade was much older, a huge heavy piece of iron, dull from centuries of neglect and well spotted with rust. He could swing it for hours at a time. There was a rotted tree near the tumbled stones that he had hacked half to pieces. - Bran I, ASoS

His sword is very old and rusted. Even when Barb and Theon go down to the crypts to note the four missing swords, Theon notes, "Streaks of rust remained to show where it had been." So, it might well break not just against an Other but simply from the stress of hacking at wights to pieces. We know that whenever Bran uses Hodor's body, he goes for Hodor's sword, which is in the gentle giant's belt:

A huge black shape heaved itself up into the darkness and lurched toward the moonlight, and the fear rose up in Bran so thick that before he could even think of drawing Hodor's sword the way he'd meant to, he found himself back on the floor again with Hodor roaring "Hodor hodor HODOR," the way he had in the lake tower whenever the lightning flashed. - Bran IV, ASoS

Bran ripped Hodor's longsword from his belt. Deep inside he could hear poor Hodor whimpering still, but outside he was seven feet of fury with old iron in his hand. He raised the sword and brought it down upon the dead man, grunting as the blade sheared through wet wool and rusted mail and rotted leather, biting deep into the bones and flesh beneath. "HODOR!" he bellowed, and slashed again. This time he took the wight's head off at the neck, and for half a moment he exulted … until a pair of dead hands came groping blindly for his throat. - Bran II, ADwD

I wonder if this sword will break sooner rather than later due to day-to-day play fighting, leading to "Hodor's" new sword being Uncle Brandon's sword (Bran's), embelic of them becoming one person.

Hodor wandered through dark tunnels with a sword in his right hand and a torch in his left. Or was it Bran wandering?
No one must ever know. - Bran III, ADwD

However, if Brandon's sword breaks too in a crucial confrontation with an Other this could lead to "convenient Dark Sister". It has long been a headcanon of mine that if "dragonsteel" does refer to Valyrian steel that it will be someone in Bran's team who will demonstrate this fact. If the Other has already destroyed one, two or even all three of the crypt swords the gang brought with them, he might get a little cocky like the ones who taunt poor ol' Waymar Royce in the beginning, only to get the shock of his life when Dark Sister is used.

Thematically, for Bran to use Dark Sister while using Hodor's body to wield cements the dark-sorcerer aspect of that sword perfectly, especially if the use of Hodor in this conflict somehow leads to him getting seriously hurt or even dying. Using a sword that has been used for a lot of injustice and evil while doing what is arguably a dark and evil act of taking autonomy from another human being might not be totally lost on Bran.

Finally, there is Meera. Logically, she is the one who seems most likely to use the sword aside from Bran-in-Hodor. While not a sorcerer per se I have always seem the prized crannogmen abilities to "breathe mud", "fly through trees" and have those super sensitive senses are almost super-natural. Besides, she is the daughter of a sort-of sorcerer character , Howland (his name is probably a reference to Wizard Howl from DJW's books) who doesn't have traditional greenseer abilities but, in fact, seems like a more complete version of what Meera herself might one day become.

As for "why Dark sister?" In the same way Hodor's sword is too old, Meera's sword - Lord Rickard Stark's sword - seems to have never been used by her because it is far too heavy:

Meera had claimed Lord Rickard's blade, though she complained that it was too heavy. - Bran VII, ACoK

She always uses her slender, three-pronged spear even when fighting the wights. In a life or death situation, if her spear is broken or destroyed, Rickard's sword will not make for a good alternative. Dark Sister, a smaller sword made for a woman's build, is a much better alternative.

Plus, it is possible that at some point she might take the sharp, sharp sword from the unruly Hodor (or Bran-in-Hodor). This probably reading too much into it but I'll leave this as food for thought:

The lightning flashed again, and this time the thunder came at six. "Hodor!" Hodor yelled again. "HODOR! HODOR!" He snatched up his sword, as if to fight the storm.
Jojen said, "Be quiet, Hodor. Bran, tell him not to shout. Can you get the sword away from him, Meera?"
"I can try."
Hodor, hush," said Bran. "Be quiet now. No more stupid hodoring. Sit down."
"Hodor?" He gave the longsword to Meera meekly enough, but his face was a mask of confusion. - Bran III, ASoS

In conclusion, I think both ideas of how Dark Sister could be employed in the Bran storyline if BR has it could be used in tandem. As I said, it makes sense in terms of your observations of a sorcerer - especially one using "dark arts" - wielding the weapon. Bran is destined to be the next "wizard" to succeed Bloodraven as "a wizard, dreamer... last greenseer" who himself was the last wielder of Dark Sister.

However, if his use of the sword is tied intrinsically to his use of Hodor, and that ends badly, then he might choose to give up the sword to someone more deserving and who does not conform to these images of darkness. This might be an alternative way Meera gains use of the sword. It is more suitable for her body and she is anything but dark -- in many respects she is a symbol of light and love for Bran. In other words, she might be the "bright" sister to counteract the Dark Sister.

...OK, I'll stop now. :D

2 hours ago, Curled Finger said:

Right back where we started my friend!  I've been trying to figure out the best way to present this idea for a bit now.  So I searched.  Varys is the 1st person to be called a,sorcerer in the story so I thought i'd add him in for flavor.   I only searched sorcery and sorcerer so maybe Mirri was mentioned 1st as a,sorceress.  I would love to tie Aemon the dragon knight to a dark art or 2 but I can't even find anything close.  So this whole relationship between Dark Sister and her wielders causes my expectation for heroes to alter a bit.  I'm so pleased you find some of my suggestions plausible for sorcerers.  As always i'm wide open to suggestions.

Well met mi amigo! B) "Our blades are sharp".

Great call on Varys being the first in the series to be described as a sorcerer. I must say, I firmly believe he is an avid student of the acrcane. As daft as it seems now, on my first read through I was damned sure The Spider was, in fact, skinchanging spiders.

The Dragonknight might well have dabbled in sorcery; look at some of his associates - dependant on how close he really was with each of them, several of his contemporaries may have introduced Aemon to the dark arts;

He is the son of the mysterious Larra Rogare, who's Lyseni culture might have taught her a thing or two about old Valyrian spells. She left when Aemon was young, but there's always the chance a good old glass candle or the like was involved.

A contemporary of Baelor, who's snake charming story, obsession with the Gods and apparent madness could certainly have some mystic origins.

How about the Dragonknight's old war buddy, the exceptionally well travelled Oakenfist. As a captain extraordinaire, Lord Allyn would have no doubt have visited many a port that raised his eyebrow, as well as been privy to all manner of sailors tales about this and that. 

Cregan Stark, of whom Aemon claimed "I've never faced a finer swordsman". Years before, Cregan had signed that shadowy "Pact of Ice and Fire", which certainly sounds like something of prophetic/magic origin. The pact was never realised, but years later "The Old Man of The North" would gain a great deal of respect from another dragon, this time, the highly popular Dragonknight. Makes you wonder what the two might have discussed - great warriors in the series have been shown to somewhat warm to each other.

There's also the matter of Aemon's status as Mystery Knight, when he donned the helm and stirrups of "The Knight of Tears" - the other notable mystery knights in the series include The Knight of The Laughing Tree and The Gallows Knight - a crannogman's magical link speaks for itself, while the best friend of Aegon "Sumerhall" Targaryen, a giant born in the mystery steeped Pennytree, could have many magical links of his own.

Archived