Winter Olympics, where small countries can win big!

BigFatCoward

2 hours ago, Rorshach said:

Didn’t see it before some summary, but the look on her face after she’s crossed the goal line .... priceless. She looks like she’s 100% certain she’s been set up for candid camera.

That was awesome.

Then shortly afterward as she was congratulated by the other skiers, "How did that happen?"

Even now, hours later, she probably still doesn't believe she is the Olympic champion.

20 hours ago, Altherion said:

Did anyone watch the women's super-G? To the best of my knowledge, it's unheard of for somebody from beyond the first 25 to win -- after the 20th skier or so, American TV declared Veith the winner and cut to figure skating. Ledecká wasn't even there primarily for the skiing; she's much more of a snowboarder.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so surprised to win a medal (aside from maybe the Australian speed skater a few years ago who won after the rest of the field fell over), apparently her previous best skiing World Cup result was 19th. If she wins the snowboarding as well (where she's apparently the favourite) I wonder if that would make her the first person to win Gold at two different sports at the same Olympics - all the multiple medallists I can think of did if in variations of the same sport, or occasionally in different sports at different games?

^^^^That would really be something too. Snowboarding and skiing are absolute and completely different disciplines.

Also I would add NBC deserves a horsey ass award or something for declaring another a Gold winner before the contest was completed. I dont care how unlikely the result was, it was an athletic contest not a Lindsey Vonn coronation, wait till the contest and known result is in next time....

Mikaela Shiffren is a righteous soul, look at these tweets after she missed the podium in her signature event-

"I wouldn’t take back my emotions or excitement after the GS in order to have better shot at a SL medal too. It’s not necessarily the medalists who get the most out of the Olympics. It’s those who are willing to strip down to nothing and bear their soul for their love of the game."

Mikaela Shiffrin
"That is so much greater than Gold, Silver, or Bronze. We all want a medal, but not everyone will get one. Some are going to leave here feeling like heroes, some will leave heartbroken, and some will have had moments when the felt both- because we care."

Mikaela Shiffrin
"That is real. That is life. It’s amazing and terrifying and wonderful and brutal and exciting and nerve racking and beautiful. And honestly, I’m just so grateful to be part of that. " (pc: AP)

Embedded

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone so surprised to win a medal (aside from maybe the Australian speed skater a few years ago who won after the rest of the field fell over),...

Short tracker, not speed skater. Different disciplines, whatever English language colloquialisms say.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Norway finally catch up with the Germans and take over the top of the medal table, slept through the XC relay, and it sounds like it was closer than it should have been. 

I'm no expert on cross country skiing, but Klaebo just looked 100% in control during his stage of the relay. He let the French guy and then the Russian guy take the lead and was on the tails of their skis the whole time until he decided it was time to win the thing. Crossing the finish line he looked as if he could keep up that pace for another 5-10km without a problem.

Yeah, it was bordering on disrespectful, but I guess mind games and showing off is seen as acceptable in XC skiing these days. But it looked liked it cost him nothing to keep up with the two others, and then he just destroyed the Russian in the second to last hill. His technique makes it look like he doesn't even have to try. Will be interesting to see if he can go on to dominate like Northug (or even surpass him).

55 minutes ago, Mme Erzulie said:

Yeah, it was bordering on disrespectful, but I guess mind games and showing off is seen as acceptable in XC skiing these days. But it looked liked it cost him nothing to keep up with the two others, and then he just destroyed the Russian in the second to last hill. His technique makes it look like he doesn't even have to try. Will be interesting to see if he can go on to dominate like Northug (or even surpass him).

Individual wins and Olympic medals he will massively surpass him if he keeps this up. World champs medals will take a bit more beating. Northug's arrogance will take some surpassing. 

Archived