Winter Olympics, where small countries can win big!

BigFatCoward

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

We did curling at school (at the same rink where Eve Muirhead would first learn the sport, coincidentally), I was hopeless at it but it did give me some appreciation for how hard even the relatively mundane shots are.

It is an impressive shot, I think as in something like snooker the shots get harder to pull off the more stones are involved. Knocking out the reigning World and Olympic Champions is a great way to qualify for the semi-finals, pity the men's team completely messed up their last match although they've still got a tiebreak match that could see them through.

My wife is addicted to watching this. It's become a running joke in our houselhold. At anytime of day you will could one of us randomly yell out HARD!!!! REALLY REALLY HARD!!!!! from anywhere in the house. Glad it's winter because if the windows were open and someone was walking by they would think we were freaks!

The Nordic combined relay could really decide who wins the overall medal table, with Germany and Norway the two leading teams, and the two favourites.  

Germany have bossed the individual competitions but that is mainly because Norway jumped like shite.  Decent performance on the hill means that Norway still have a chance. 

9 hours ago, Nictarion said:

USA women’s hockey takes down Canada for the gold!

Sucks to see a gold medal game be decided by a shootout but fuck that was lit. Filthy dangles on the game winner. And the Canadian girl with the Peter Forsberg move was fucking filthy. Great game

The Dutch managed to get a surprise gold in short-track (after failing as is mostly traditional in the team pursuit on the long track). We are slowly dropping on the medals rankings. 

8 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

Sucks to see a gold medal game be decided by a shootout but fuck that was lit. Filthy dangles on the game winner. And the Canadian girl with the Peter Forsberg move was fucking filthy. Great game

I was at work so I missed the game, but that shootout goal by Lamoureux-Davidson was unbelievable. Absolutely juked the shit out of the goalie.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/02/winter-olympics-2018-hockey-team-usa-gold-shootout-goal-jocelyne-lamoreux-britney-spears-oops-i-did-it-again-video

On 2/22/2018 at 0:38 AM, williamjm said:

We did curling at school (at the same rink where Eve Muirhead would first learn the sport, coincidentally), I was hopeless at it but it did give me some appreciation for how hard even the relatively mundane shots are.

It is an impressive shot, I think as in something like snooker the shots get harder to pull off the more stones are involved. Knocking out the reigning World and Olympic Champions is a great way to qualify for the semi-finals, pity the men's team completely messed up their last match although they've still got a tiebreak match that could see them through.

One of the female Brit curlers (not Captain Eve Muirhead) used to work in a Glasgow wine bar I frequented several years ago, prior to and briefly after the previous wibter games when the team won a medal. 

They're a young team so can expect to compete for a while yet.

Team USA basically played "prevent defensive" (to barrow a phrase from American football) during the last 2 ends to win the gold 10-7.

Some disappointments this year for USA but also a few surprises.  As usual, the women performed better than the men.

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

How did Germany beat Canada at ice hockey? Is that even legal? 

Not being able to select from your top 400 players does tend to bring the team quality down a notch.

27 minutes ago, baxus said:

Not being able to select from your top 400 players does tend to bring the team quality down a notch.

Yeah, but still, its fucking Canada v Germany. 

Norway have now won the most ever medals at a winter Olympics, but there is a good chance they won't top the medals table as Germany have better chances to secure the extra Gold (unless you order the medal table by total medals, which is utter bullshit as far as i'm concerned, its ranked by most golds, then most silver, then bronze).    

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Norway have now won the most ever medals at a winter Olympics, but there is a good chance they won't top the medals table as Germany have better chances to secure the extra Gold (unless you order the medal table by total medals, which is utter bullshit as far as i'm concerned, its ranked by most golds, then most silver, then bronze).    

Well, it looks like everybody benefits from the rather poor performance of the Olympic Athletes from Russia. I seem to remember China doing much better in the past, too.

I don't care about the sport, but reaching the final is the biggest success ever for a German ice hockey team.

12 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Man, it's close to 20 teams.

Have USA basketball team drop 20 teams worth of top players from their selection and I'm not sure they'd make it out of the group stage in the Olympics, let alone win a medal.

6 hours ago, Loge said:

Well, it looks like everybody benefits from the rather poor performance of the Olympic Athletes from Russia. I seem to remember China doing much better in the past, too.

It's more poor performance of the Russian ADA which saw a whole bunch of Russian athletes banned from competition. ;) 

On 23/02/2018 at 9:46 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

One of the female Brit curlers (not Captain Eve Muirhead) used to work in a Glasgow wine bar I frequented several years ago, prior to and briefly after the previous wibter games when the team won a medal. 

They're a young team so can expect to compete for a while yet.

It's a pity they didn't quite manage it this time, they came close in the bronze medal match but the Japanese kept getting their shots spot on and Eve's team tended to be almost but not quite as accurate. I agree they could well be back in Beijing again, I know Eve Muirhead is meant to be a very good golfer as well so I'd wonder if she might have gone off to do that instead if they'd won gold, but she'll probably feel she has unfinished business with the Olympic curling.

I despise the way NBC (i.e. the American channel with rights to broadcast this Olympics) is covering this. Instead of showing the live hockey gold medal game, they're showing some race that happened yesterday and even then they're skipping parts of it. Grrr...

Archived