What's the funniest interaction between characters in the books to you

Varysblackfyre321

33 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Truth be told it's often the moments when she's allowed to be a kid-chasing cats, playing in mud, roughhousing with her friends ect where she truly is just cute.

Her first pov chapter of AFFC  where she's legitimately scared of the Titan of Braavos due to the tales old nan used to take-adorable. 

You know speaking of the brotherhood's reaction I can't help but feel sadness  for lemm a little here; girl n most likely a young one at that in his life that he cared  possibly a daughter or little sister was clearly violated and the way Arya, a slight 10 year old girl looked after the tussling with the 6,0 ft teen male clearly reminded him of that. 

Her defense of Gendry again was heartwarming though; really solidifies how loyal she is to members of what she'd see as her pack.

I completely agree... I can't help it, I empathize with Arya too much. All through AGOT and ACOK she just reminds me so much of how I was at her age. And she's masterfully well written for a child. GRRM is really pulling all the tricks he has to make it believable. I just feel Arya's feelings and motivations are so much more layered and complex than Bran's (I mean to compare the writing style the author adopts in each POV, not the characters themselves). 

16 minutes ago, Lady Dacey said:

This is new to me. Who was a girl close to Lem who was violated? 

We don't know who exactly it was-but it would certainly explain his very vitriolic reaction to how Arya looked immediately after the tussle-while the other brothers even ones who'd only known her for a short time brushed it off as "kids being kids" Lem was by no means amused. He appears to have immediately jumped to the assumption Gendry had tried to  assault Arya-sexually most likely. It looks like it triggered(no I don't mean that as a joke) him. Lem was ready to cave in the boy's head until Arya jumped to her friend's defense.

I don't think he  would have that reaction if something like this hadn't happened to a little girl or girl he loved.

-FUCKIN RENLYYY giving Joffrey shit for being disarmed by Arya on the Kingsroad

-Gendry scolds Arya for shouting Winterfell as a battlecry and she says "Everyone was yelling stuff. Hot Pie yelled Hot Pie. He must have yelled it a hundred times."

-When Lady Smallwood says she had the Kingslayer in her bed, and he's too exhausted to move after giving her a pounding lmao.

-Missandei's translations for Daenerys

“Tell her to open those slut’s eyes of hers.”

“He begs you attend this carefully, Your Grace.”

“I will feed her jellied dog brains, and a fine rich stew of red octopus and unborn puppy.” He wiped his lips.

“Many delicious dishes can be had here, he says.”

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

You know speaking of the brotherhood's reaction I can't help but feel sadness  for lemm a little here; girl n most likely a young one at that in his life that he cared  possibly a daughter or little sister was clearly violated and the way Arya, a slight 10 year old girl looked after the tussling with the 6,0 ft teen male clearly reminded him of that. 

Well, it really didn't have to be personal for it to have affected Lem. He's been in a lot of battles and seen how some men treat the smallfolk women - and girls. Maybe he did it himself and now regrets it, and that's a factor in why he's joined up with Lord Beric (remember, Lem wasn't one of the original King's Landing party.) Lem seems generally angry and sour much of the time, as if he's nursing a grievance. Of course, that could just be that encounter with Arya...

Tom overheard him, and broke off his song. "You're a young fool, Archer. If we go to Riverrun it will only be to collect her ransom, won't be no time for you to sit about making bows. Be thankful if you get out with your hide. Lord Hoster was hanging outlaws before you were shaving. And that son of his . . . a man who hates music can't be trusted, I always say."

"It's not music he hates," said Lem. "It's you, fool."

"Well, he has no cause. The wench was willing to make a man of him, is it my fault he drank too much to do the deed?"

Lem snorted though his broke nose. "Was it you who made a song of it, or some other bloody arse in love with his own voice?"

"I only sang it once," Tom complained. "And who's to say the song was about him? T'was a song about a fish."

"A floppy fish," said Anguy, laughing. (Arya IV, ASOS 22)

This whole interaction was hilatious. But then it gets even better.

When Edmure made no move to rise, he said, "I'll leave you to enjoy your food. Singer, play for our guest whilst he eats. You know the song, I trust."

"The one about the rain? Aye, my lord, I know it."

Edmure seemed to see the man for the first time. "No. Not him. Get him away from me."

"Why, it's just a song," said Jaime. "He cannot have that bad a voice." (Jaime VI, AFFC 38)

There's of course the interaction between Renly and Stannis. 

"King's have no friends," Stannis said bluntly, "only subjects and enemies."

"And brothers," a cheerful voice called behind her.

Sighing, Renly half turned in the saddle. "What am I to do with this brother of mine, Brienne? He refuses my peach, he refuses my castle, he even shunned my wedding . . ."

"We both know your wedding was a mummer's farce. A year ago you were scheming to make the girl one of Robert's whores."

"A year ago I was scheming to make the girl Robert's queen," Renly said, "but what does it matter? The boar got Robert and I got Margaery. You'll be pleased to know she came to me a maid."

"In your bed she's like to die that way." (Catelyn III, Clash 31)

1 hour ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Lem does say he had a wife and a daughter and implies that both are dead. 

18 minutes ago, zandru said:

Well, it really didn't have to be personal for it to have affected Lem. He's been in a lot of battles and seen how some men treat the smallfolk women - and girls. Maybe he did it himself and now regrets it, and that's a factor in why he's joined up with Lord Beric (remember, Lem wasn't one of the original King's Landing party.) Lem seems generally angry and sour much of the time, as if he's nursing a grievance. Of course, that could just be that encounter with Arya...

Possible. But for the former,I mean they're all soldiers, they've all seen the horrors of war,  yet none of the other brothers had such a reaction; alright I get not everyone has the same reaction to the same things but you know. Second, meh, possible. 

I get a good laugh every time I re-read Stannis's parleys with Renly and with Cortnay Penrose.  These guys just do not like one another.

And then there is Jaime's first meeting with Jonos Bracken, when he barges in on bracken having sex with a prostitute.

Jonos:  I was unaware of your coming, sir.

Jaime:  And I seem to have prevented yours.

lmao

Always bee partial to these two:

Ser Barristan chuckled. "By his extreme youth, he can only be a prancing jackanapes, and so I name him."

"So young," said Wyman Manderly, "Though mayhaps this was a blessing. Had he lived, he would have grown up to be a Frey."

On 2/6/2018 at 8:44 PM, Widow's Watch said:

Lem does say he had a wife and a daughter and implies that both are dead. 

When?

On 2/6/2018 at 8:53 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Possible. But for the former,I mean they're all soldiers, they've all seen the horrors of war,  yet none of the other brothers had such a reaction; alright I get not everyone has the same reaction to the same things but you know. Second, meh, possible. 

There was a dornish girl who once cooked for him...

There was a tavern wench now kissed by worms...

but I don’t know where this wife and daughter are coming from... let alone what happened to them.

It smells like fan fiction to me.

Lem is likely Richard Lonmoth, the knight of skulls and kisses, knighted and friend of Rhaegar Targaryen, who attended the Tourney at Harrenhall and agreed to unmask the Knight of the Laughing Tree.

There is no evidence he was ever married or had children.

Oh and pidr

On February 6, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Lady Dacey said:

I completely agree... I can't help it, I empathize with Arya too much. All through AGOT and ACOK she just reminds me so much of how I was at her age. And she's masterfully well written for a child. GRRM is really pulling all the tricks he has to make it believable. I just feel Arya's feelings and motivations are so much more layered and complex than Bran's (I mean to compare the writing style the author adopts in each POV, not the characters themselves). 

Truth be told I think most if not all the children characters who are giving really any time are masterfully written. From Pod the warrior to Robert Arryn the sickly boy to Gendry the bastard.

They all feel like real kids. 

Often in literature kids feel like tiny adults or simply too annoying to want to want to see or quite frankly too perfect to be interesting all together. 

Archived