Full frontal Star Wars - D&D Strike Back

Howdyphillip

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well by that logic everything is divisive, because nothing is universally loved or hated so I’m not entirely sure what your point is at this stage

Well it has good scores from both critics and users on RT, Meta, and IMDB. So, I mean, I don't know what other metric we an use at this point? I suppose I could go to the mall and ask random people to fill out a survey?

To be fair, Calindabar's sort of right on this one. 'Divisive' doesn't necessarily have to do with an even split of opinion- it just means something that tends to cause arguments. The easiest way for that to happen is if opinion is split down the middle, of course, but something can have an opinion tilting largely one way but have a big enough group who strongly disagree that things stir up from it. So from his perspective Thor: Ragnarok might well feel divisive because he holds a very different view to everyone else so he's feeling like he's constantly arguing over it.
But in reality I don't think that movie tends to cause disagreement, overall. Most people either loved it or were like, okay, didn't love it.

1 minute ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, by that definition every film ever made is divisive

Nah.

I mean, well, Forrest Gump is divisive among my friends because I hate it. But I'm never gonna argue that it's divisive overall.

But it's a matter of common sense where the boundary lies, I guess.

3 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Well, by that definition every film ever made is divisive and this conversation is pointless.

That was my point above, and was directed at Calibandar rather than you. While technically correct that something is divisive so long as not every has the same opinion on it, common sense should inform us that there is some kind of relative threshold for this (polishgenius makes a good example above re: Forrest Gump - even if I would fall on his side and hate it too! :P )

Always took divisive to mean simply that existing fans of a franchise can't agree on whether the latest installment was satisfactory or not - if the differing opinions are on the extreme opposite ends. Like the Star Wars prequels would qualify for divisive films in my opinion. Lots of people hate them, a ton of people think they're good. Most people tend to fall into one of these two extremes from what I can tell.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, they don't.

Over 30% of voters (181k people) rated TPM it at 8 or higher on IMDB. I think it's fair that this is a "ton" of people (actually, it's quite a lot of tons of people; nearly 1200 tons, in fact!). 7 and then 6 are the most common ratings, covering 264k voters.

This goes to show that one's biases may lead one to not recognize that there are groups of people out there that have radically different tastes... and that there's no accounting for taste.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

No, they don't.

Ep 3 was pretty good.

Besides the acting the big problem I remember people having with the prequels is that the root of the conflict was boring.

However the action is light years better than the sequels. We actually had tons of jedi fights and several sith vs jedi fights. I will never understand how someone does a star wars episode without a clash between lightsabers and people think it is a good star wars film.... it can be a lot of things, but a star wars episode it is not!

Re: directors, it's not that I am opposed to white men getting the job. I just suggested a few names that would be interesting and don't happen to be white men. I'm pleased that Rian Johnson will be doing more SW films, for example. But some people tend to jump to a conclusion when you advocate for looking outside the usual suspects.

Here's a complete list of the people who have ever directed a Star Wars theatrical release, by the way.

George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Richard Marquand, J J Abrams, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards, Ron Howard.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were also given the job and now Dan and Dave have as well.

So I don't think we need to take up the placards for the poor old white men who are being deprived of the chance to direct Star Wars just because some names that don't fit that list have been suggested.

26 minutes ago, mormont said:

Re: directors, it's not that I am opposed to white men getting the job. I just suggested a few names that would be interesting and don't happen to be white men. I'm pleased that Rian Johnson will be doing more SW films, for example. But some people tend to jump to a conclusion when you advocate for looking outside the usual suspects.

Here's a complete list of the people who have ever directed a Star Wars theatrical release, by the way.

George Lucas, Irvin Kershner, Richard Marquand, J J Abrams, Rian Johnson, Gareth Edwards, Ron Howard.

Phil Lord and Christopher Miller were also given the job and now Dan and Dave have as well.

So I don't think we need to take up the placards for the poor old white men who are being deprived of the chance to direct Star Wars just because some names that don't fit that list have been suggested.

When the color of people's skin is a factor in interesting people who should be hired to do a job then there is something wrong...

I am not acusing you of anything, but it is one thing that you should pay atention.

5 minutes ago, divica said:

When the color of people's skin is a factor in interesting people who should be hired to do a job then there is something wrong...

I am not acusing you of anything, but it is one thing that you should pay atention.

Is it your contention that the colour of people's skin has not been an issue in why every single director of a Star Wars film to date has been a white man? That's just a coincidence? 

Like I said, I've suggested some names of people who would be interesting and who don't happen to be white men. At no point have I said that they should be hired purely because they are not white men, or that white men should not be hired. Widening the conversation to include people who have historically been excluded is the opposite of racism. If you find yourself reacting to the inclusion of those names in a conversation by getting all het up about how the white men are being discriminated against, then you need to ask yourself some searching questions. 

Archived