Full frontal Star Wars - D&D Strike Back

Howdyphillip

Christopher Nolan and Joss Wheadon are the only directors I would be excited about,

It would be interesting to see Joss Whedon given a small budget and the opportunity to direct a film about a small group of people in a Star Wars-like situation on a ship. Then I realised I saw that movie in 2005 and it was pretty good and don't need to see it again. I'm also thinking that Whedon might be a bit of a busted flush at this stage (the original Avengers was decent but the sequel wasn't, Dollhouse was all over the place and Agents of SHIELD was weak, and has gotten better the less he has to do with it).

3 hours ago, Week said:

Personally, I've begun to watch more and more international movies -- Korean, Iranian, French, Dutch, etc. which have led me to a lot of really fascinating movies.

I'd love to see a Kim Jee-woon Star Wars movie. Although we'd probably be better off giving him a big budget for a space opera but not trying to tie it into anything, and just go with his own sensibilities.

On the Joss Whedon/Chris Nolan debate, the answer is obviously Matthew Vaughan.

3 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I'd love to see a Kim Jee-woon Star Wars movie. Although we'd probably be better off giving him a big budget for a space opera but not trying to tie it into anything, and just go with his own sensibilities.

On the Joss Whedon/Chris Nolan debate, the answer is obviously Matthew Vaughan.

Was the question "Which director should never be let near a Star Wars film?"

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

the original Avengers was decent but the sequel wasn't

I don't think it's fair to blame that on all on Whedon though. He apparently argued with Marvel a lot during that one, and as a result they shot a >3 hour movie and then had to chop it down and compromise on what ended up on screen. For example he really didn't want the bit where Thor wanders off and takes a bath and learns about the Infinity Stones, but Marvel insisted. I'd be really curious to see a director's cut down the line but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen any time soon. 

The other major problem with the movie I think is just that it came out around the time that people were getting sick of the hero/heroes fighting an army of faceless well...drones. I'm not sure how you avoid that with Ultron as the baddie. 

Yeah, I would have said that Avengers was good and Ultron was decent. But hey this is a Star Wars thread. It's interesting how the Star Wars group at Disney seems to give their directors more autonomy. Of course twice now the Star Wars movies have had to replace (or basically replace) a director in the middle of production because they didn't like what they were seeing. 

You mean Marvel give their directors more autonomy? After the Edgar Wright thing, they clearly changed their minds about trying to micro-manage the directors and chilled the fuck out. That attitude gave us some of the better films in the MCU (Winter SoldierThor 3GotG 1 and to a lesser extent 2, Spider-Man).

In fact, I'd say the strength of the MCU, at least since Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 were somewhat subpar, is the fact that Marvel lets the directors be somewhat loose and creative with what they do whilst retaining a strong overall creative vision and plan for the franchise as a whole. Star Wars has the opposite plan: micro-managing the life out of the individual films whilst having no overall creative vision and plan at all.

4 minutes ago, Werthead said:

You mean Marvel give their directors more autonomy? After the Edgar Wright thing, they clearly changed their minds about trying to micro-manage the directors and chilled the fuck out. That attitude gave us some of the better films in the MCU (Winter SoldierThor 3GotG 1 and to a lesser extent 2, Spider-Man).

In fact, I'd say the strength of the MCU, at least since Iron Man 3 and Avengers 2 were somewhat subpar, is the fact that Marvel lets the directors be somewhat loose and creative with what they do whilst retaining a strong overall creative vision and plan for the franchise as a whole. Star Wars has the opposite plan: micro-managing the life out of the individual films whilst having no overall creative vision and plan at all.

Which is insane. Which is inexplicable.  

But I don't really care anymore, I'm sick of Disney Star Wars already.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Yeah I guess you're right, it's on the story/writing side of things that Marvel seems to be more controlling over than the Star Wars people. Neither franchise is going to give a director final cut or anything. But you could tell from interviews after Avengers 2 that Whedon and Fiege butted heads a lot on that one. 

5 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Iron Man 3 

I get why people dislike Iron Man 3 I guess, although they're wrong wrong wrong, but surely one thing you couldn't accuse it of is sticking too strictly to the formula? It was Iron Man 2 that was damaged by trying to do the work of the wider universe as well as carrying its own plot. 3 they handed to Shane Black and more-or-less just let him Shane Black it.

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I rather enjoyed this:

I saw that earlier, and whilst they certainly are taking a number of shots at those who complained about the Last Jedi's choices, it did just remind me of how disappointed I was by it. A few months in, is there more of a consensus view? It seemed to be more or less 50/50 in the Last Jedi thread.

Just now, The BlackBear said:

I saw that earlier, and whilst they certainly are taking a number of shots at those who complained about the Last Jedi's choices, it did just remind me of how disappointed I was by it. A few months in, is there more of a consensus view? It seemed to be more or less 50/50 in the Last Jedi thread.

Nah, it's divisive.

7 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I get why people dislike Iron Man 3 I guess, although they're wrong wrong wrong, but surely one thing you couldn't accuse it of is sticking too strictly to the formula? It was Iron Man 2 that was damaged by trying to do the work of the wider universe as well as carrying its own plot. 3 they handed to Shane Black and more-or-less just let him Shane Black it.

That's actually not true if you read interviews with Black post IM3. They fucked with his script a lot. The main villain was supposed to be the female scientist but Perlmutter had a snitfit and they had to change it to Guy Pearce mid filming.

6 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

That's actually not true if you read interviews with Black post IM3. They fucked with his script a lot. The main villain was supposed to be the female scientist but Perlmutter had a snitfit and they had to change it to Guy Pearce mid filming.

Fair enough.

That's just stupid. I forgot how much of a shit Perlmutter is.

"It is astonishing to me that in just a few years, my enthusiasm about the latest announcement of a new “Star Wars” film has gone from giddy, barely contained excitement to complete indifference — if not, at times, a more rancorous frustration. The announcement this week that “Game of Thrones” showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff are slated to helm an entire film series of the beloved science-fiction franchise felt like a nail in the coffin of something I used to love. "

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-wars-new-series-column-cheapening-brand-1202691283/

Siiiigh. This is pretty much exactly how i feel about SW. I wonder if there is anything left from my childhood that I actually enjoy anymore...

4 minutes ago, Relic said:

"It is astonishing to me that in just a few years, my enthusiasm about the latest announcement of a new “Star Wars” film has gone from giddy, barely contained excitement to complete indifference — if not, at times, a more rancorous frustration. The announcement this week that “Game of Thrones” showrunners D.B. Weiss and David Benioff are slated to helm an entire film series of the beloved science-fiction franchise felt like a nail in the coffin of something I used to love. "

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/star-wars-new-series-column-cheapening-brand-1202691283/

Siiiigh. This is pretty much exactly how i feel about SW. I wonder if there is anything left from my childhood that I actually enjoy anymore...

Wait, weren't you boycotting all things Disney because of the Fox merger? or am I thinking of someone else

Archived