Full frontal Star Wars - D&D Strike Back

Howdyphillip

10 hours ago, Relic said:

Yeah, that was my stated intention....and?

It looks as though they are making the boycott easy for you :)

On 12/02/2018 at 11:15 PM, polishgenius said:

Fair enough.

That's just stupid. I forgot how much of a shit Perlmutter is.

More scary is him passing on this "wisdom" to his good friend Trump. It's bad enough seeing how he runs comics/TV/film - now he has the ear of the President.

10 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Well it just seems odd that you care about the state of Star Wars if you're never watching it again. 

He shared an article that expresses why he feels like he does. I don't see why his disinterest in seeing more of the franchise means he has to be quiet about his views, especially when commentators in the media might be echoing some of the same concerns.

The whole SW franchise thing is tricky, because it was almost from its genesis designed as a vehicle that could sell oodles of merchandise. Lucas's canniest move was skipping on part of his salary for ANH in exchange for having 100% of the licensing and merchandise rights. So the fact that Disney is treating it as a cash cow much like the Marvel franchise, well, what a surprise! But whereas it took over two decades for there to be six feature films under Lucas, we've got four films from this May in about 3 years, with another the year after, and it seems like a half dozen more in various stages of planning.

So, yeah, there's something to the fatigue that sets in. Like... how many people are genuinely extremely excited about the next Avengers movie as compared to when the first Avengers movie came out? Seems to me it's tough for people to retain quite the same level of hype over something that they've seen before.

4 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Why are we boycotting fox?

Because Fox News is the worst, and at least partially responsible for Trump. I'm just not willing to give up the Marvel movies and to a lesser extent Star Wars to put a tiny dent in Disney's (not Fox's, mind you) profits. 

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

He shared an article that expresses why he feels like he does. I don't see why his disinterest in seeing more of the franchise means he has to be quiet about his views, especially when commentators in the media might be echoing some of the same concerns.

I'm not saying he has to be quiet, I just found it odd and wanted to make sure I was thinking of the right person. If I was quitting Star Wars for political reasons I'd probably have to go cold turkey and stop being invested in the franchise. But then I know I'd also crack once a good one came out. 

8 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh, well, isn't Foxnews explicitly not part of the Disney deal?

Yeah. Which in some ways makes it worse. The Murdochs get rewarded and get to keep their propaganda tool. 

3 hours ago, mormont said:

Yeah. Which in some ways makes it worse. The Murdochs get rewarded and get to keep their propaganda tool. 

Yup. 52 billion into NewsCorp's pocket to help bring about the end of civilized society.

12 hours ago, RumHam said:

Because Fox News is the worst, and at least partially responsible for Trump. I'm just not willing to give up the Marvel movies and to a lesser extent Star Wars to put a tiny dent in Disney's (not Fox's, mind you) profits. 

I'm not saying he has to be quiet, I just found it odd and wanted to make sure I was thinking of the right person. If I was quitting Star Wars for political reasons I'd probably have to go cold turkey and stop being invested in the franchise. But then I know I'd also crack once a good one came out. 

Ok, gotcha. It's hard swearing off Star Wars since its basically been my jam from age 7, but i have personal reasons (worked for Newscorp in their HQ on 1211 6th Ave, and have had conversations with the Murdochs and still feel dirty about it) and political reasons (self evident) for my inconsequential boycott. Does that mean i'll never watch another SW movie again? No. But i certainly won't pay to do so. 

5 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

The problem is that the money from Disney will be put into Fox News. So Disney are financing them.

...why?

Fox News is still part of the Murdoch Empire, the rest of Fox is (or will be) owned by Disney.

Unless you mean the money handed over by Disney for the sale, in which case yeah, but to get all of that stuff out of Murdoch's hands that's the price that has to be made. It will make getting Sky in the UK a lot easier since a lot of people pointblank refused since it used to be owned by him.

My view is that Fox News is gonna keep being terrible with or without the ~$60 billion (which I assume won't all be spent eroding american democracy) Don't get me wrong if I thought I could trade a couple movie franchises to get rid of them I would but that's just not realistic.

I think a better boycott to organize would be against Fox itself, and Fox News's advertisers. 

On 21/02/2018 at 0:07 AM, Ran said:

So, yeah, there's something to the fatigue that sets in. Like... how many people are genuinely extremely excited about the next Avengers movie as compared to when the first Avengers movie came out? Seems to me it's tough for people to retain quite the same level of hype over something that they've seen before.

The odd thing for me is that I was really sceptical about Avengers. This new one has me thinking Marvel films are usually solid and it's by the team that brought Winter Soldier and Civil war (and not the team that gave us Age of Ultron).

But yeah - I'm not as excited about post TFA star wars. That was probably hard to replicate. I think it was even more exciting than Episode I because a) it had the original cast back and b ) I so desperately wanted the film not to suck after the prequels.

I'm more excited for Infinity War than I was for Age of Ultron. That felt like a sequel. Infinity War feels like a culmination of everything that's come before it, like the original Avengers but larger scale.

Star Wars is going to need to build this same level of enthusiasm of story. TFA was the return of the main cast and a kick starter. And while I did end up liking TLJ, its post-modernistic angle kind of saps the wind out of the franchise's sails. Luke barely returned. Rey's journey happened parallel to everyone else and really didn't impact them directly (Snoke being taken out aside). The end sets up the future but in a smaller scale, which is not necessarily bad. It was a reset, not an escalating of dramatic and character tension. 

Star Wars started big, so it's harder to go bigger (thus the tired trope of Death Star followed by larger Death Star followed by an even larger Death Star Starkiller). Marvel took the opposite approach and started small and has built up the Thanos threat over nearly 10 years.

On 23/02/2018 at 1:54 PM, Myrddin said:

I'm more excited for Infinity War than I was for Age of Ultron. That felt like a sequel. Infinity War feels like a culmination of everything that's come before it, like the original Avengers but larger scale.

Star Wars is going to need to build this same level of enthusiasm of story. TFA was the return of the main cast and a kick starter. And while I did end up liking TLJ, its post-modernistic angle kind of saps the wind out of the franchise's sails. Luke barely returned. Rey's journey happened parallel to everyone else and really didn't impact them directly (Snoke being taken out aside). The end sets up the future but in a smaller scale, which is not necessarily bad. It was a reset, not an escalating of dramatic and character tension. 

Star Wars started big, so it's harder to go bigger (thus the tired trope of Death Star followed by larger Death Star followed by an even larger Death Star Starkiller). Marvel took the opposite approach and started small and has built up the Thanos threat over nearly 10 years.

I guess it's harder for star wars to do things in the Marvel way - although it's maybe something they should consider? eg the Marvel way would be to have a couple of "Rey" films, a Poe Dameron film, a Finn film and maybe a Kylo Ren film. Then they'd all come together for their final film. Which feels a bit off for a Star wars film.

I guess this might be something Disney will explore post trilogy? Maybe the Rian Johnson and D&D films will be set in the same time and have opportunities for a cross over later

On 12/02/2018 at 8:14 PM, Werthead said:

It would be interesting to see Joss Whedon given a small budget and the opportunity to direct a film about a small group of people in a Star Wars-like situation on a ship. Then I realised I saw that movie in 2005 and it was pretty good and don't need to see it again. I'm also thinking that Whedon might be a bit of a busted flush at this stage (the original Avengers was decent but the sequel wasn't, Dollhouse was all over the place and Agents of SHIELD was weak, and has gotten better the less he has to do with it).

Is it wrong that my favourite work of his is still Angel, I might do a rewatch this year.

4 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

I'd honestly just settle for them planning the trilogy out ahead of time, as a trilogy. Not just three films that follow on from each other and apparently have no overarching storyline.

If the intent is to make a trilogy that would certainly help. Then again, I don't know how many movie trilogies are ever planned out from start to finish unless they are adapting a book.

But again, that's kind of why Star wars doesn't have the same franchise appeal (so far) as Marvel. Marvel pretty quickly got everyone into the idea that each film was part of a bigger story (even if this wasn't concretely plotted). Thanos has been kicking around for a long time now as have the infinity gems.

The next star wars film is Han Solo. We know that's not tying into episode IX. And, like you said, the current trilogy feels like those involved go out of their way to point out they have no idea what the next film will be about. It doesn't really create anticipation.

Archived