The Last Jedi (spoilers): Failure is a great teacher

Kalbear

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I thought this was pretty funny.  

TLJ wasn’t my favorite film ever.  The Canto Bight segment really did drag and I don’t quite understand why Rose would prevent Finn from sacrificing himself to to protect the base.  But I have seen worse films.

I really wish the makers of SW would confirm that space in the SW Universe isn’t a pure vacuum.  It would explain so much.  Why the fighters maneuver the way they do in space and how Leia could survive to pull herself back into the ship. 

Yes! I was waiting for the HISHE video. Pretty funny overall, though baseballing the lasers would have been ridiculous. On that chapter, what the movie did was better. But the Canto Bight stuff is in need of revising.

I chuckled at the Leia stuff. While I enjoyed the skywalk, I remember thinking to myself, ok, she got to the door, now they need to clear the entire hallway, seal it, depressurize it, and have someone there, likely C-3PO, ready to grab her, then re-pressurize the hallway. I hope she can hold on long enough.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I really wish the makers of SW would confirm that space in the SW Universe isn’t a pure vacuum.  It would explain so much.  Why the fighters maneuver the way they do in space and how Leia could survive to pull herself back into the ship. 

I prefer the idea that their propulsion systems work by latching on to some kind of aether (perhaps the boundary between real space and hyperspace?) which results in the movement characteristics we see on-screen. There's certainly no visible indication of how they're manoeuvering like rocket exhaust or rudders, which you'd get with any means of propulsion know to modern science, atmosphere or not.

Leia survived using the Force. Some others on the bridge presumably also survived the explosion, but had no way to keep hold of their air or stop flying away from the ship, so died shortly after.

Just now, Darth Richard II said:

Well, yeah, the official explanation includes her holding air in a force bubble or something. But I've never really felt that there was any pressure difference in Star Wars space. They go in and out of stuff all the time without having to go through any kind of pressure system.

Right.  Perhaps the worm in ESB has a pressurized stomach?

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, the laws of physics need not apply.

I'd prefer screaming TIEs to silence, thank you very much. The movies are about an all power Force that controls everything. Go with it. :)

Archived